Last year I found myself being the go-to guy for old guitars, ukuleles, and the like. Found in the closet or the trash. Fun ! I'm a player too ..

Ukindoit

Reaction score
My most recent "patient" is a small ukulele, has 11 frets, and 12 3/4 inches nut to bridge. The back is split, the bridgeplate was re-glued in the wrong position, I can't figure out how the pegs will lock into place while tuning, they don't seem to be a friction fit. I have the back and loose braces glued and in clamps. Here's a picture, I think it is a children's uke, maybe you could give me an idea on the age of the instrument. Could not find any numbers or names on it anywhere. Thanks in advance !Uke-15-5857.jpg

Very cool. Unfortunately, I haven't any information about its bona fides. You'll have to let us know how it sounds when you are finished.

Welcome, @Ukindoit. Love that UUF handle! I’ve no idea why any actual uke would have only 11 frets. As you already know, the scale is too short for soprano and too long for sopranino so I tend to agree that this one is a toy/ wall hanger.

Hello! That might be a Bruko, or maybe a DIY project, or maybe a copy made by a toy company.

The pegs would have little paper washers underneath, but as they're obviously split will need to be replaced.

The style of construction (no separate fret board), general condition and (long out of fashion) style of the basic tuning pegs lead me to believe that this Uke is old. I assume that the OP realises that the twelfth fret is missing and should be at the neck to body joint. The back needs re-attaching but careful how it’s done ‘cause it can impact on the height of the strings (by moving the alignment of the body and neck).

There is no bridge plate, I don’t see that as an issue … and it might well be a benefit.

There’s a crack in the back to glue and cleat, and a brace to reattach.

Last edited:
Very cool. Unfortunately, I haven't any information about its bona fides. You'll have to let us know how it sounds when you are finished.
Thanks ! Finish coat going on today, strings on the weekend, I'm a bit leery on the tuning pegs.

Hello! That might be a Bruko, or maybe a DIY project, or maybe a copy made by a toy company.

The pegs would have little paper washers underneath, but as they're obviously split will need to be replaced.
Hello ! I recently saved a 50 year old Harmony baritone from the trash heap, it had pegs that adjusted from the back, a complete pain to use and keep tuned. Ended up installing guitar machine heads. It is a great sounding baritone. I'm a newby to much of this, with so many variations in components there is a lot to learn. Don't know what you mean about the paper washers ...

The style of construction (no separate fret board), general condition and (long out of fashion) style of the basic tuning pegs lead me to believe that this Uke is old. I assume that the OP realises that the twelfth fret is missing and should be at the neck to body joint. The back needs re-attaching but careful how it’s done ‘cause it can impact on the height of the strings (by moving the alignment of the body and neck).

There is no bridge plate, I don’t see that as an issue … and it might well be a benefit.

There’s a crack in the back to glue and cleat, and a brace to reattach.
Hi, Just put everything in the clamps yesterday, stained today, finish coat and strings in the weekend plan. Have not seen a bridge plate like that I'm curious on how to tie things up ... but .. it's 2024, the answer is out there somewhere. Yes the end of the fretboard is where the 12th fret should be. All cracks have been glued. Two braces re-glued.

Welcome, @Ukindoit. Love that UUF handle! I’ve no idea why any actual uke would have only 11 frets. As you already know, the scale is too short for soprano and too long for sopranino so I tend to agree that this one is a toy/ wall hanger.
Hi, It definitely seems like an oddball, strings going on this weekend..... will see what happens.

Hi, Just put everything in the clamps yesterday, stained today, finish coat and strings in the weekend plan. Have not seen a bridge plate like that I'm curious on how to tie things up ... but .. it's 2024, the answer is out there somewhere. Yes the end of the fretboard is where the 12th fret should be. All cracks have been glued. Two braces re-glued.
I might be misunderstanding you but the bridge uses ball knots on the end of the strings, that’s traditional and still very common. There are many threads on this forum about stopper knots, etc.

You mention paper washers in another post. Such washers sit between the wood on the headstock and the plastic tuner knob. You need unglazed paper, some brown envelopes are suitable, and if I were doing it then I‘d make some washers from the plain cardboard found in a toilet roll inner.

If the bridge is now loose then don’t forget to add compensation to its spacing from the nut (nut to saddle crest = ( nut to 12th fret centre x 2 ) + about 3/32” ). Check other threads out on what I’ve suggested.

Last edited:
Such washers sat between the wood on the headstock and the plastic tuner knob.
Yes. Unfortunately because the buttons on the tuners you have already are broken, it will be impossible to get the tension (by tightening the screw at the back of the tuner) that will allow them to grip the tuners.

These are spiritually the closest. I have them on a couple of ukuleles, they work ok. Better than ears that stick out.

I might be misunderstanding you but the bridge uses ball knots on the end of the strings, that’s traditional and still very common. There are many threads on this forum about stopper knots, etc.

You mention paper washers in another post. Such washers sat between the wood on the headstock and the plastic tuner knob. You need unglazed paper, some brown envelopes are suitable, and if I were doing it then I‘d make some washers from the plain cardboard found in a toilet roll inner.

If the bridge is now loose then don’t forget to add compensation to its spacing from the nut (nut to saddle crest = ( nut to 12th fret centre x 2 ) + about 3/32” ). Check other threads out on what I’ve suggested.
Thanks Graham, I'll search out the 'stopper knots' ...

Ukulele Dreams Ok, got this one wrapped up, since putting the bridgeplate at the correct distance from the nut, now it can be tuned, now it can be played, and I think it sounds great. I'm new to the ukulele world so I'm in the 'novice' class of players. The bridgeplate, having no saddle, being solid wood, had about 3/32 worth of compensation by the way they machined the wooden 'saddle' .... thanks Graham Greenbag ! Also for the info on the stopper knots ! I could not get those old tuning pegs to work out so I butchered the tuner plates from an old classical guitar that was beyond saving, drilled the holes to fit, that worked out just fine although it gives it a 'rat rod' beater look. Fine with me ! Have to put a little video together to give you a listen. The above link ( Ukulele Dreams ) is to the pics I put on my Facebook page about it ...

My most recent "patient" is a small ukulele, has 11 frets, and 12 3/4 inches nut to bridge. The back is split, the bridgeplate was re-glued in the wrong position, I can't figure out how the pegs will lock into place while tuning, they don't seem to be a friction fit. I have the back and loose braces glued and in clamps. Here's a picture, I think it is a children's uke, maybe you could give me an idea on the age of the instrument. Could not find any numbers or names on it anywhere. Thanks in advance !View attachment 168899
What a great find. The pegs may need washers. You could also consider adding some new good but inexpensive tuners. I bout sone for around $30 and put them in a cheap ukulele that then turned into one of my favorites. Have fun.

What a great find. The pegs may need washers. You could also consider adding some new good but inexpensive tuners. I bout sone for around $30 and put them in a cheap ukulele that then turned into one of my favorites. Have fun.
Hi Twall, got it back together, put some tuners from a classical guitar on it so I could get it to work. Sounds wonderful for such a little thing.

Wow! I would have written off that uke. Your restoration has really come together.

Those guitar tuner pegs look pretty tall. You'll want to make sure the strings wrap downward enough to ensure a good break angle for the strings so they work properly over the nut.

Well done.

Wow! I would have written off that uke. Your restoration has really come together.

Those guitar tuner pegs look pretty tall. You'll want to make sure the strings wrap downward enough to ensure a good break angle for the strings so they work properly over the nut.

Well done.
Thanks ! I ended up using some old tuners from an un-saveable classical guitar, the old one were impossible ! Hopefully making a short video this week to show it's sound off a little.

Nice job Ukindoit. It's fun getting these old instruments back in playing condition, isn't it?

Your ukulele, and most ukuleles unless they have bridge pins, does not have a bridgeplate. I think you are talking about the bridge. The bridgeplate is on the underside of the top.

Top Bottom