When was the last time you changed your strings?

A day without a string change is like a day without sunshine! :)

But seriously, changed the strings on my vintage Martin sop to Nyltechs...again. Have tried them before, but always taken them off for FC strings. This time, thay are really growing on me, and have been on there for almost a week, with a nice fat sound. Some guys here have had these strings installed for 2+,years!

Sometimes it's really amazing to hear the difference a new set of strings can make on certain instruments.

Last edited:
Aldrine regularly says to change your strings every 2-3 months if you play regularly and care about your sound quality. If you don't care about sound quality, you can let the strings go until you feel roughness from wearing against your fingers and frets.

Typically change strings every 3-4 months. Peavey Dyna-Bass, DR Hi-Beams, 15 yrs ago.

One of the guys in my ukulele group can’t remember when he changed strings. There are really deep divots the frets have worn into the strings.

Last edited:
Late summer(?) when I got my reso and switched from the stock strings which I presumed were Aquilas to fluorocarbons. Once the strings I want are on one of my ukes it could be years!

On my baritone and the two tenors I have, I think I've changed the strings an embarrassing number of times to see what happens before eventually settling on the ones that they put on in the shop in the first place. Turns out Matt at World of Ukes knows what he's doing. Who would have thought? :)

And then I leave them alone for months because, honestly, changing strings is boring. I probably don't play as much as Aldrine!

A question inspired by this clip....

View attachment 162723

Me? Three ukuleles, three years, one string change each. 🤣 Admittedly, I've only had one of those for half that time, but there ya go . 😊
Now I want to know the answer! The question could be taken a couple ways - one seeking to answer the question, "How frequently do you change your strings?" and the other, when was the last time that he (McCartney) actually changed strings as opposed to a guitar tech or someone else changing them for him?

Last edited:
I dont have a spreadsheet for keeping track, but I believe i changes strings on 3/8 ukes in 2023.

Three of my ukes still have the strings on them they had when I got them. I had those ukes for several years, and some of them are among my most played favorites.

So I guess I dont play much and dont care about sound quality 😆

August this year for one ukulele. Over a year for the others except the newest (less than a year old). That one will get a string change asap.

I changed all my strings in June or July at the latest. I just bought some Aquila Bionylon strings and had to check them out. Put them on my two sopranos, one high g and one low G. While I was at it I put some Lava high g on my tenor.

When I buy a new uke, I won’t change the strings unless I absolutely hate them. After that, I don’t change them unless they break or no longer stay in tune. The strings on my Mele, my daily player beater, haven’t been changed in about 6 years.

My electric Risa is on it's 4th A string........rocking a little too hard and some tuning issues all my own....

My Resonator got a new set around Thanksgiving, trying out some Aquila Reds low g. It's had more string changes than any of the others. Trying out different strings to see what I like......the Reds are sounding good....

My other three I couldn't tell yea........

The day before yesterday ......................of course that's just on one - the others, hmmm really don't recall.

...Once the strings I want are on one of my ukes it could be years!
Yup. I generally have 4-6 ukes in rotation so wear and tear is spread across all of them. This, plus it takes at least a month after a string change before it all (the uke + the strings) settles down to reveal its true self.

Aldrine regularly says to change your strings every 2-3 months if you play regularly and care about your sound quality.
I would imagine that would depend a lot on how much you play, how hard you play, the type of strings and how OCD you are.

Not as much as I should. Not because my strings are in dire need of changing, but because I've got several sets that I bought specifically to try out. I have an ammo can that I store strings in and just counted 50 sets in there with not too many duplicates. And that doesn't include the individual strings and sets I've saved that were still in good condition.

I'm a sucker for free shipping so when I order strings I throw in others I've never tried to get above that 'free shipping' level. It's almost even between soprano and tenor strings. I rarely ever play soprano anymore so those will probably all still be there when I'm long gone.

Every time I think about changing strings, I decide that I really like the way the uke sounds and it just doesn't happen.

EDIT: I forgot about the several rolls of fluorocarbon fishing line I bought for string use. I've been playing my Martin 2 Tenor most lately and that's what it's strung with. They just sound too good to remove.

Last edited:
Top Bottom