Any pie thread.

A vote here for Homity Pie. I don’t eat meat anymore, (no axe to grind, I was a meat eater most of my life) but I used to love meat and potato pie as do many here in the frozen North of England. But I like Homity Pie for the following reasons:
It’s very very tasty
Just the name of it, Homity Pie, gives me a warm glow. I use the Hairy Bikers recipe here….

I have never heard of Homity Pie before, but I will also vote for it if I can find a polling place to cast mine. This sounds tasty,

I wish I could view this recipe without giving away my email address. It sounds fantastic.
Here is the Ginger Apple pie recipe in text form:)

I add a just a little black pepper to the apples to add a little zing. I also substitute brown sugar for the white sugar. I cheated and bought pillsbury pie crust because I had 4 other dishes to make as well.

Apple Pie with Crystallized Ginger​

SERVESServes 8
TIME2¼ hours, plus 1½ hours chilling and 4 hours cooling

INGREDIENTS​

Pie Dough​

2 ½ cups
unbleached all-purpose flour
plus extra for dusting

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1 teaspoon table salt

8 tablespoons vegetable shortening, chilled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces

12 tablespoons
unsalted butter,
chilled, cut into 1/4-inch pieces

6 - 8 tablespoons ice water

Apple Filling​

¾ cup granulated sugar

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon lemon zest from 1 medium lemon

¼ teaspoon table salt

¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg

¼ teaspoon
ground cinnamon

⅛ teaspoon ground allspice

1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice

2 pounds (907 grams) McIntosh apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4 inch thick

1 ½ pounds (680 grams) Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4 inch thick

3 tablespoons chopped crystalized ginger

1 egg white, beaten lightly

1 tablespoon granulated sugar, for topping

BEFORE YOU BEGIN​

You can substitute Empire or Cortland apples for the Granny Smith apples. The pie is best eaten when cooled to room temperature.

INSTRUCTIONS​

Process flour, sugar, and salt together in food processor until combined, about 5 seconds. Scatter shortening over top and process until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal, about 10 seconds. Scatter butter over top and pulse mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs, about 10 pulses. (To do this by hand, freeze the butter and shortening, grate it into the flour using the large holes of a box grater, and rub the flour-coated pieces between your fingers for a minute until the flour turns pale yellow and coarse.)

Transfer mixture to large bowl. Sprinkle 6 tablespoons ice water over mixture. Stir and press dough together, using stiff rubber spatula, until dough sticks together. If dough does not come together, stir in remaining ice water, 1 tablespoon at time, until it does. Divide dough into 2 even pieces. Turn each piece of dough onto sheet of plastic wrap and flatten each into 4-inch disk. Wrap each piece tightly in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour. Before rolling dough out, let it sit on counter to soften slightly, about 10 minutes. (Dough can be wrapped tightly in plastic and refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 1 month. If frozen, let dough thaw completely on counter before rolling it out.)

Roll 1 disk of dough into 12-inch circle on lightly floured counter. Loosely roll dough around rolling pin and gently unroll it onto 9-inch pie plate, letting excess dough hang over edge. Ease dough into plate by gently lifting edge of dough with 1 hand while pressing into plate bottom with other hand. Leave any dough that overhangs plate in place. Wrap dough-lined pie plate loosely in plastic wrap and refrigerate until dough is firm, about 30 minutes. Roll other disk of dough into 12-inch circle on lightly floured counter, then transfer to parchment paper–lined baking sheet; cover with plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Adjust oven rack to lowest position, place rimmed baking sheet on rack, and heat oven to 500 degrees. Mix 3/4 cup sugar, flour, lemon zest, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice together in large bowl. Add lemon juice, apples, and crystallized ginger and toss until combined. Spread apples with their juices into dough-lined pie plate, mounding them slightly in middle. Loosely roll remaining dough round around rolling pin and gently unroll it onto filling. Trim overhang to 1/2 inch beyond lip of pie plate. Pinch edges of top and bottom crusts firmly together. Tuck overhang under itself; folded edge should be flush with edge of pie plate. Crimp dough evenly around edge of pie using your fingers. Cut four 2-inch slits in top of dough. Brush surface with beaten egg white and sprinkle evenly with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.

Place pie on heated baking sheet, reduce oven temperature to 425 degrees, and bake until crust is light golden brown, about 25 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees, rotate baking sheet, and continue to bake until juices are bubbling and crust is deep golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes longer. Let pie cool on wire rack to room temperature, about 4 hours. Serve.

Last edited:
A vote here for Homity Pie. I don’t eat meat anymore, (no axe to grind, I was a meat eater most of my life) but I used to love meat and potato pie as do many here in the frozen North of England. But I like Homity Pie for the following reasons:
It’s very very tasty
Just the name of it, Homity Pie, gives me a warm glow. I use the Hairy Bikers recipe here….
Mmmmmmmmm, I love the Hairy Bikers. Their pie looks delicious, i'll try it.
Another recipe of theirs to try right before I kick the bucket is this one:

I had prepared a bunch of NZ mince and cheese pies for the family as they arrived for the holidays. I think I’ve finally found a worthy filling for the excellent crust I got from a steak and ale pie recipe I found on YouTube. Spouse makes a good pumpkin pie, but I only make savory ones.

I'd never had a pecan pie before so for both Thanksgiving and Christmas I made a caramel pecan pie. I overbaked the first one because it was so jiggley at the end of the allotted time and I worried it was underbaked so I baked it even longer. I also placed decorative pecan halves on the top but did them for the whole bake when I should have waited until the last 10-15 min so they got a bit dark but it still tasted good. I corrected my errors the second time but I think the pie was a bit underbaked. I set the timer for the proper bake time so when it dinged I pulled the pie from the oven. A while later I happened to look at the timer and it still had 10 minutes on it! I don't know how it could have dinged with time still on it but it did. Even so, it was better than my first try. Maybe my third attempt I'll get it all right!

I'd never had a pecan pie before so for both Thanksgiving and Christmas I made a caramel pecan pie. I overbaked the first one because it was so jiggley at the end of the allotted time and I worried it was underbaked so I baked it even longer. I also placed decorative pecan halves on the top but did them for the whole bake when I should have waited until the last 10-15 min so they got a bit dark but it still tasted good. I corrected my errors the second time but I think the pie was a bit underbaked. I set the timer for the proper bake time so when it dinged I pulled the pie from the oven. A while later I happened to look at the timer and it still had 10 minutes on it! I don't know how it could have dinged with time still on it but it did. Even so, it was better than my first try. Maybe my third attempt I'll get it all right!
Pecan pies can be addicting- delicious and decadent!

Made apple pie instead of pumpkin pie for Christmas dessert. Will be delicious for the next few days...or maybe I can freeze a few slices as an experiment.
If I have a store bought large pie (those giant ones they sell now days) I slice them up and freeze them in portions. Keeps me honest and my weight under control! ;)

Pecan pies can be addicting- delicious and decadent!
They are indeed both addicting and decadent! I love it with vanilla ice cream! I guess I can't say I've had a "proper" pecan pie. The one I made uses melted caramels instead of corn syrup and I used brown sugar instead of white sugar and put in a little less sugar than the recipe call for. I also almost doubled the pecans the recipe called for. The decorative nuts on top are kind of a hassle in the baking process and cutting the pie afterward so I'll be chopping all of the pecans in future bakes unless I needed some kind of showpiece for an event or something.

I love pecan pies, but I hate paying full price for a bag of pecans. I wait until they are ridiculously cheap before baking pecan pie.

I love pecan pies, but I hate paying full price for a bag of pecans. I wait until they are ridiculously cheap before baking pecan pie.
I had/have no idea what pecans should cost or what's a good or bad deal. I paid a bit less than $5 for 8oz. (about 2 cups) of pecan halves.

I had/have no idea what pecans should cost or what's a good or bad deal. I paid a bit less than $5 for 8oz. (about 2 cups) of pecan halves.
That's pretty expensive. I'm pretty sure I got a pound for $5.99 on sale. When I worked at the Publix bakery, I used to fill the pie pan to the top then pour the syrup mix on top of that to the top. I guess, 2.5 to 3 cups per pie of pecans. Plus I like to have left over nuts to make butter pecan cookies, pecan caramel bars and other things.

I had prepared a bunch of NZ mince and cheese pies for the family as they arrived for the holidays. I think I’ve finally found a worthy filling for the excellent crust I got from a steak and ale pie recipe I found on YouTube. Spouse makes a good pumpkin pie, but I only make savory ones.
Photo proof :p
IMG_0284.jpeg

Top Bottom