Any pie thread.

A super rich and yummy pie is the shoo-fly pie and/or the chess pie. Basically similar to the custard portion of a pecan pie. One has molasses and the other flour or even corn meal.

My mother used to make fully homemade lemon meringue pie for my father- what a treat to see the beaten meringue peaks browning in the oven! Delicious!

This thread is killing me. I’ve been on a diet since April. Hmmm … I think there’s still an old jar of Nutella in the cupboard somewhere.

One reason why most people prefer the canned pumpkin vs using a sugar pumpkin is that the canned product is made from a type of squash that is much closer to a butternut squash than the pumpkins we know.
Very true. Pumpkin pies made with jack-o'-lantern pumpkins are not very good: the flesh of those types of squash are usually neither dense nor particularly flavourful or sweet/rich. We use winter squashes to make our pumpkin pies. Best variety we ever grew for pie was Georgia Candy Roaster. It was a HUGE fruit though, so we stopped growing it because we never could get through all of one squash quickly enough (we first grew them when we had pigs, and they helped with that problem)! I might grow them again next year and share with the cafe that I volunteer at... The chef there would love them for soup, pie, cheesecake, etc.

My mother used to make fully homemade lemon meringue pie for my father- what a treat to see the beaten meringue peaks browning in the oven! Delicious!
Omg I love a good lemon meringue pie. The curd must be TANGY for me to be satisfied. I can eat lemon curd all by itself, I love it.

Omg I love a good lemon meringue pie. The curd must be TANGY for me to be satisfied. I can eat lemon curd all by itself, I love it.
Ditto. I add a spoonful (or two) of lemon curd to my plain yogurt at lunchtime. My favorite brand so far is Bonne Maman. I have to be careful that I do not fall victim to lemon curd abuse.

Mmmmm...lemon curd. I don't think I started making yogurt until after the last time I made lemon curd...I use it mainly to top a lemon cheesecake. I do love a lemon pie, but don't really care for making meringue, instead I top it with whipped cream. I can't wait to put some in my yogurt.

Very true. Pumpkin pies made with jack-o'-lantern pumpkins are not very good: the flesh of those types of squash are usually neither dense nor particularly flavourful or sweet/rich. We use winter squashes to make our pumpkin pies. Best variety we ever grew for pie was Georgia Candy Roaster. It was a HUGE fruit though, so we stopped growing it because we never could get through all of one squash quickly enough (we first grew them when we had pigs, and they helped with that problem)! I might grow them again next year and share with the cafe that I volunteer at... The chef there would love them for soup, pie, cheesecake, etc.
I know pumpkin can be given to dogs and cats for tummy problems. One of the best things I've ever eaten was a savory pumpkin soup at some restaurant many years ago.

Ditto. I add a spoonful (or two) of lemon curd to my plain yogurt at lunchtime. My favorite brand so far is Bonne Maman. I have to be careful that I do not fall victim to lemon curd abuse.
We're Bon maman fans too! Really like their mixed fruit preserves. Yum.

Right now I have half an apple pie in the fridge and last night I had the last slice of Egg, bacon, cheese, and veggie pie, aka Quiche Lorraine. I'm ready for another since it was so delicious. I want to eat it with scalloped potatoes on the side.

mmm-pie-pie.gif

(surprised we haven't seen this yet)

Steak and ale pie in the oven right now.

We're Bon maman fans too! Really like their mixed fruit preserves. Yum.
We lived in Europe for a few years and got Bonne Maman stewed apricots in liter size jars, which were possible to eat in a single sitting with concentrated effort. Cannot find them here in the US. They would have made a great cobbler.

And yes to chess and chocolate chess pies.

We lived in Europe for a few years and got Bonne Maman stewed apricots in liter size jars, which were possible to eat in a single sitting with concentrated effort. Cannot find them here in the US. They would have made a great cobbler.

And yes to chess and chocolate chess pies.
Ooh apricot cobbler 🤤

Right now I have half an apple pie in the fridge and last night I had the last slice of Egg, bacon, cheese, and veggie pie, aka Quiche Lorraine. I'm ready for another since it was so delicious. I want to eat it with scalloped potatoes on the side.
Stop, stop, you’re killing me!

I made 10 Jamaican Patties (hand pies) the other day and they are fantastic. Shredded Cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, and onions, with curry, cumin, allspice, and more aromatic west indies spices and some ground veggie sausage wrapped in a savory crust featuring turmeric and curry, then baked to perfection. Tastes great with a side of Rice pilaf.

I have a friend who used to always claim that Mustard Pie was his favorite...

So we searched the internet and found a recipe and brought him one to one of our potluck dinner.

That cured him! It was the last time we heard him say that Mustard pie was his favorite.

I am making my Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie, using the recipe from the Libby's can. I have a can of Reddi-wip in the fridge. Getting ready to eat and not worrying about the calories.

Top Bottom