New Uke Day (NUD) Adding a Second Pono Baritone

KevinFL

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I got my first baritone about 6 months ago, a Pono MB from HMS. Perusing my local CL last week I saw a Pono BE-DC electric baritone but it was still about a 4 hour drive from me. I contacted the seller and she agreed to ship the uke. It's scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I'll post some shots from the ad. It's acacia with a cedar top.

An acoustic amp is a necessity for this uke so I ordered a Loudbox Micro demo model from Sweetwater. I had a Roland AC-33 some time ago and sold it when it ended up sitting in the closet too long (bad move, that was a great amp). The Micro should be here next Wednesday. This is a new amp in the Loudbox line and from the reviews it looks like a great little practice amp.

Should be a fun addition. I still play tenor more than baritone, but the gap is narrowing.

00000_4AGw1XoNmHX_0kC0t2_1200x900.jpeg 01414_eyZHIdod6dK_0t20CI_1200x900.jpeg 00303_87rHsj2BvnB_0t20CI_1200x900.jpeg

00k0k_4xhrWX2Ypcy_0t20CI_1200x900.jpeg tempImage9Gx4be.png tempImagexrGjv5.png

Nice Pono, congrats! I love my Pono's too. Looking forward to your report, once you get it.
I have the Roland AC-33, that I just love. I had a Fishman Loudbox Mini for awhile, but traded it for the AC-33, which just fits me better, even though the Fishman amps are great. Didn't know about the Micro....will check it out.

Nice Pono, congrats! I love my Pono's too. Looking forward to your report, once you get it.
I have the Roland AC-33, that I just love. I had a Fishman Loudbox Mini for awhile, but traded it for the AC-33, which just fits me better, even though the Fishman amps are great. Didn't know about the Micro....will check it out.
The Micro is new, looks like they came out about a month ago. They're quite small but for a living room amp should be just right. I'm not gigging these days so it's just for inside practice/play levels. Two channels, reverb/chorus, headphone out, aux in, XLR DI out. Selling the AC-33 was a bonehead move. If I start gigging again and need something bigger, I'll address it at that point.

Congratulations Kevin! Great looking Pono and practice amp. Noticed it even has a mike input, nice. Many happy hours with it.

The Micro is new, looks like they came out about a month ago. They're quite small but for a living room amp should be just right. I'm not gigging these days so it's just for inside practice/play levels. Two channels, reverb/chorus, headphone out, aux in, XLR DI out. Selling the AC-33 was a bonehead move. If I start gigging again and need something bigger, I'll address it at that point.
The Micro looks nice!
I also have a Roland Mobile AC that works perfect with the one mountain dulcimer that I have with a pickup. We sure are fortunate to have so many good choices for amps, aren't we!?
Anymore, my amps are mostly for just for practice/play at home too.

Looks real nice, Kevin!

I ordered my first baritone last few weeks. Feeling a lil nervous waiting for its arrival 🤭

The uke arrived safely and is very nice. The grain looks much nicer in person. I've only had a few minutes of play on it, but it sounds and plays great. I suppose I should have tried it through the Classic 30 or one of my bass amps before ordering the Loudbox. It's all good. I'm sure the acoustic amp will be better suited for the uke but it sounds good through the Peavey until that gets here.

My dog Bentley approves. He curled up in front of the amp when I plugged in and started playing.

thumbnail.jpeg thumbnail.jpeg

The Micro arrived today and I love it. The Pono sounds so good through it. I'm still twiddling the EQ a little but have it pretty dialed in. Of course if it finds its way out of my living room, those will all go out the window but I don't have plans to play out again any time soon.

The amp is very small and light but sounds so good. I haven't gone past 1000 on the volume yet, and find 0800 to be a good practice level. The pickup is passive and you can roll the gain all the way up without it clipping. I plugged in a tenor with a MiSi installed and had to lower the gain. At first I wasn't sure if it was working since I could crank it, but it's fine. I haven't used the aux yet, but plan to try it out tomorrow. I'll run my backing tracks through it for my studies. I need to pull out my looper too. I'm very happy with the pair.

Top Bottom