Newbie Stewmac Kit: adding upgrades/bling .. peghead veneer thickness?

Happy to share, and so glad to have found this forum (and the wealth of experience who can aid with my insecurities as I cross from woodworking to lutherie skills). I'm sure that I will have many more questions before we are done. So thank you to the pool of "big giant heads" here at UU. :cool:

A good scrub of mineral spirits, and the grey is a thing of the past (phew). Onward to sanding the bodies, raising the grain, and more light sanding, while waiting for some fret board oil to arrive.
No description available.
You will need to crown some of those frets especially number 4. You don't have to pay a lot for special fret files. My local hardware store sells a set of small needle files for cheap. About $16 bucks for 6. Number 5 in the picture below is the ticket. The important thing is that one of the files has a "safe" side meaning it is smooth.

e8f382f8-ac24-44d8-b486-6239f814b2b3.jpg

@sequoia thanks for the heads up. This is exactly what I was mentioning above..

I have a set of small files in hand (modelling and pcb rework tools) .. however as a result of this thread, I went googling "how to crown a fret" and found this demo: that uses sand paper and home-crafted sanding blocks (I couldn't help but note the use of tape to mask off the fretboard.. something that was missing during the flattening I did). As I understand, looking to create a lovely 'dome' on each of the frets (all 36 of them).

I will fight the urge to rush this, and take my time. (I have my work cut out for me)

Thank you again for the guidance.

... several hours later ...

I have attempted to follow the procedure outlined in the YoutTubue video I linked. I made up a pair of double sided sanding blocks (two grits each for a sanding pattern of 320, 600, 800, 1500). Using the method presented I have attempted to 'crown' all of the frets. Not convinced I've done much more than polish them.. but they certainly do look nicer.:cool: The fretboard on the right, corresponds to the one shown above that triggered the "you need to crown those frets" comment above. Any comments/thoughts on the fret tools (Baroque?) available through the likes of Amazon? While always budget conscious, sometimes the "right tool for the job" saves enough time to warrant the expense.

Time to push ahead... sanding to 240 grit (raising the grain) completed. The "raising the grain" step also identified a half-dozen spots that needed additional sanding (couple of score marks on the fronts, and various "spot of glue still here" marks on the necks). Plan to mask off the neck and bridge, and get the first coat of finish laid down on Saturday.

Glued the necks into place, masked off the bridge, some filler for some gaps in the neck, 240 grit final sanding.. a quick vacuum and time to start applying the finish. And then .. a strand of the white application pad, somehow gets caught on a piece of the inlay, and out pops a cats paw. Will wait for this coat to fully dry, glue it back in, lightly sand, and start again. But dang that oil/wax (osmo polyx) finish makes the wood come alive.

After a few coats of Osmo Polyx gloss .. (still working out best methods for application.. but these felt 'good enough').
That's not a scuff in the lower right, but a reflection of the red ruler. (the picture made me go back and look)

Any other sources for kits like these (alternatives to StewMac ?). Nothing wrong with these kits, I'm just curious about what other options might be out there. Closest I've found was a DIY set from Aliexpress (Hongyin I think it was), but shipping was quite expensive.

Next: Doozer time (aka 'Bridge work')

378243195_155831720909345_2370853272177111112_n.jpg

Hmm. The Ohana versions look like they're a little too prebuilt, really just intended for final assembly and decorating. Same with these Solo kits. Here's something completely different: Wolfelele, but I think it's similar to the Stu Mac kit in that it's less just assemble (but I could be wrong, the description isn't amazing on the Etsy page). And Brad Donaldson (@BuzzBD ) here on the forum developed a similar concept basic from scratch pattern that could be followed by anyone with limited access to tools and equipment to make ukuleles for school programs, he mentions it here.

Bridges attached (and a full glue cure cycle before messing any further). Oiled the fretboard and bridge with Ikea mineral oil, installed the turners, and the strung them up. Spent the rest of the day visiting them every few hours to re-tension the strings. Everything seems to be correct, but the unanswered question lingered. Did I make an instrument or an instrument shaped object. As I am relatively musically challenged, it was time to visit the professionals, so I took a quick trip to our local music retail outlet and had a chat with their on staff tech..

... (I know the suspense was killing me) ... observations and discussions on how I might do things different next time.. angle of the neck vs the surface of the top.. (both with tilting back a little).. how to approach flattening the frets.. (did you install these? well done (etc etc))

... and the results were in...

"THEY ARE INSTRUMENTS!!!!"

(Time to rejoice (and eat the Minstrels))

One last task.. add a strap button.

Thank you everyone on this forum for the guidance and insight. There are lessons learned, which will get applied to the next build. (and there will be a next build, now that it has been confirmed that these are playable (woot woot!!))

Top Bottom