Adding a pickguard to mint Collings UT2?

Philphlash

Reaction score
How would adding a pickguard to a Collings ukulele UT2 and UC2 affect resale?
Much Thanks

I don’t have a real answer but I can tell you if it comes down to 2 identical ukes and one has a pick guard and one doesn’t, I’m buying the one without the pick guard if the prices are identical. I am even buying the one without the pick guard if the difference is $50. At a $100 difference I may begrudgingly accept the one with the pick guard but only because I don’t have $100 and I hope the pick guard can come off as soon as I get home and there will be no indication there was ever a pick guard there. But really, I want the one without the pick guard and I do not want the one with a pick guard, all else being equal. The presence of the pick guard makes me feel like the uke is “used” but in a bad way, not the good “used.” I realize this opinion is very subjective and borderline irrational. Opinions can be like that. Hope this helps.

Ukuleles just don't suit pick guards. Look at ukuleles EVERYWHERE they don't have pick guards. From the cheapest to the most expensive custom ukes pick guards are not a standard item. Based on that I feel it would hurt the resale

How would adding a pickguard to a Collings ukulele UT2 and UC2 affect resale?
Much Thanks

I wouldn't do that unless you plan to keep it, and you really want a pickguard.

I have two Collings that I might sell someday, and I would never modify them.

This might be a good option. Call them and ask if it will do what you want.

Depends upon the soundboard on your UT2/UC2. If you have one with a soft tone wood such as Spruce, Cedar or Redwood, it might be a worthwhile option. Especially if you are a strummer.

Do you really need a pick guard? How do you play your ukulele? Do you use a pick? Do you really dig in and strum hard? Are you more of a fingerstyle player?

Are your other ukes all scratched up, dinged or have divots in the sound board? You need a pickguard. If there are only light surface scratches that can easily be rubbed out, I'd question the need.

I have a MyaMoe Koa Tenor that I bought used and it came with a clear pickguard that was installed by a luthier. It is adhered to the uke soundboard. It's almost invisible. And I forget that it is even there. I was told that a luthier/guitar tech could remove it without any damage. To be honest, I am not sure if that is indeed the case.

I'm sure the adhesive will affect different finishes in different ways. The MyaMoe has an oil finish. A poly finish will probably be safe. The High Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer finish on the Collings may be more susceptible to both an adhesive and/or the solvent used to remove the guard.

Then, there is possible color changes to the finish as it ages. Sunlight UV and even indoor lighting, plus air contaminates can subtly change the color of the finish and underlying woods over time. Often the Nitro will slightly yellow from the light. I imagine that the finish under the pickguard will yellow or change at a different rate than the exposed finish. Of course if it's kept in the case most of the time the change should be minimal.

Unless your playing style is hard on the soundboard, And the possible damage would affect the value more than the addition of a pickguard, I would not add one to your Collings. The exception might be a removable cling type. And then only if you remove it and wipe down your uke after every use.

Depends upon the soundboard on your UT2/UC2. If you have one with a soft tone wood such as Spruce, Cedar or Redwood, it might be a worthwhile option. Especially if you are a strummer.

Do you really need a pick guard? How do you play your ukulele? Do you use a pick? Do you really dig in and strum hard? Are you more of a fingerstyle player?

Are your other ukes all scratched up, dinged or have divots in the sound board? You need a pickguard. If there are only light surface scratches that can easily be rubbed out, I'd question the need.

I have a MyaMoe Koa Tenor that I bought used and it came with a clear pickguard that was installed by a luthier. It is adhered to the uke soundboard. It's almost invisible. And I forget that it is even there. I was told that a luthier/guitar tech could remove it without any damage. To be honest, I am not sure if that is indeed the case.

I'm sure the adhesive will affect different finishes in different ways. The MyaMoe has an oil finish. A poly finish will probably be safe. The High Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer finish on the Collings may be more susceptible to both an adhesive and/or the solvent used to remove the guard.

Then, there is possible color changes to the finish as it ages. Sunlight UV and even indoor lighting, plus air contaminates can subtly change the color of the finish and underlying woods over time. Often the Nitro will slightly yellow from the light. I imagine that the finish under the pickguard will yellow or change at a different rate than the exposed finish. Of course if it's kept in the case most of the time the change should be minimal.

Unless your playing style is hard on the soundboard, And the possible damage would affect the value more than the addition of a pickguard, I would not add one to your Collings. The exception might be a removable cling type. And then only if you remove it and wipe down your uke after every use.
I agree on the wood color change, it WILL change color on soundboard, it is a fact. I would not do it

I wouldn't add a permanent one, but would gladly add a clear one, custom cut from a clear cellphone screen guard. Super easy to do, they cling well with no adhesive, and peel off easily, leaving no goop, and no different color from sun bleaching.

Here's one I added to my spruce top concert Flea.

Attachments

• 20230606_103602.jpg
    20230606_103602.jpg
    576.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230606_103639.jpg
    20230606_103639.jpg
    856.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
didn't see any mention of fingernails. I think their worse than flatpicks but both can damage a wood top. I would never add a pick guard to a ukulele. hate the look and hate the loss in resale value...however!
a small, clear, removeable, stick-on "cha cha cha" pad, placed by bridge for enthusiastic song endings is good protection.

How about a new gloss finnished Kinnard?
Hmm, I noticed today that my adding more thumb downstrokes to my playing (both chording and solos) incorporating the 2 and 1 strings my elongated thumb nail clicks right on the lower soundboard eliciting a gnawing negative in my brain.
Disconcerting, as I daily grow more fond of the new unblemished Cedar top Kinnard as (forgive me William King) the best most exceptional tenor I've ever played.

A gloss finish and I imagine a thin perfectly applied pick guard may do the needed protection (barring a change of mind towards imitating Willie Nelson comes up)

My other new and a hair behind in exceptionalness (really, just a hair and thats subjective) Ken Franklin cedar top tenor with satin finish actually came new with a very thin, imo tasteful pick guard. It's hardly noticeable. Certainly doesn't dull the volume or tone. I think a satin finish works better to diminish the looks of the pick guard.

Last edited:
I have never used a pick on my Joe Zier uke, but my nails are starting to leave marks and I don't want it to end up looking like my guitars, so I have been contemplating a pick guard. I would want something really thin, maybe the clear plastic ones that have been suggested.
Pick Guard on JZ uke.jpg

Top Bottom