Season 630

Barbablanca

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Welcome to Season 630

I am posting this a little early this Season, because the opening hour for the season coincides with my wife's best friend's 60th birthday party tonight and so I don't know whether I will be able to post at the usual time that I would when hosting.

Please don't post before the first hour of the 10th March

The theme this week is HOME

I want you to bring any song that deals with the theme of home, whether it is a place of safety, a place your narrator lost because of circumstances, a place they long to be, or a home base, etc.

Songwriters, please feel free to take the theme wherever you wish.

I particularly encourage those of you who haven't written songs to start with this theme.
What does home imply to you? Where was the best home you ever had?... etc.

Any and all uses of the word "home" will count. For example: homeward, homely, homeless, homing in on something, etc.

Usual rules apply, as does the new rule that any first time seasonistas can post songs that may or may not fit the theme.

I hope you enjoy this theme and I look forward to hearing all your contributions.

Now back to the home page....

PLAYLIST

How about a little Billy Joel to kick off the Season? He starts with "the crazy gypsy in my soul", so it fits for 629 too.

Featuring about a dozen crazy cockatoos loudly proclaiming their ownership of this place I call my home. I turn the camera on them at the end, plus you get a behind-the-scenes peek at how I make these outdoor videos.

Nick Lowe wrote this one about moving out.

Hello, Berni, and thanks for hosting! (I hope you've recovered from the party!) I've never quite understood this song, but I've always liked it ... the chap in the song WON'T be following Renée back home. (Sorry for the fluctuating light in the video ... the sun kept going in and out.)

Last edited:
And we're off.... with our first photo finish. Graham's lovely soft lullaby just edged out Wendy (and her noisy cockatoos) for first place!
Steve delivers a superb song I was unfamiliar with by Nick Lowe and Val makes me truly listen, for the first time ever, to the lyrics of "Walk Away Renée!" Then Wim introduces me to Martyn Joseph, who it seems is worth checking out on the strength of the song Wim offers us. Then Rob shows how an old classic should have been done as the minor key version of an old music hall chestnut wrings every bit of pathos out of the lyrics that the major key managed to gloss over.

Great start to the Season. I look forward to hearing everything else that will be brought to the table.

STOP PRESS - Our very own Renaissance Man, does a fine acoustic cover of Sweet Home Alabama. Another song which I think I am truly hearing all the lyrics of for the first time. Who needs a 15 minute guitar solo anyway? 😉

Last edited:
Hello, again, Berni! I just came across this, written by younger son, Tom, when he would have been about 8 or 9, I think; very sweet and touching, and very appropriate for the week. (My apologies ... but it IS Mother's Day in the UK today; and I am working on UK time for celebrations!)

12901142_1083123251710322_5933750874763540532_o.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, again, Berni! I just came across this, written by younger son, Tom, when he would have been about 8 or 9, I think; very sweet and touching, and very appropriate for the week. (My apologies ... but it IS Mother's Day in the UK today; and I am working on UK time for celebrations!)

View attachment 168192
You must put a tune to that and sing in it this season, Val! It's lovely! Reminds me of an A.A. Milne type poem from "When we are Six"

Something I've learned from becoming familiar with songs from the early 20th century is that there are lots of old songs about Indiana. This one leans heavily on a previous Indiana-themed song by a different composer called "On the Banks of the Wabash." The melody in the chorus where I sing "When I dream about the moonlight on the Wabash" was taken directly from the other song, with permission, according to the sheet music. The choruses of both songs have basically the same theme: the smell of new-mown hay and candle light gleaming through sycamore trees. Anyway, I picked out this song because I was looking for an old song about home that I hadn't done before. The lyricist of this song, Ballard MacDonald, also wrote the lyrics for "Fireflies" which I covered in season 598.

Hi Berni, thanks for hosting! There may be some FAWM songs :).
This one is from this year's "Movie Title Challenge". I drew "Southern Comfort", a film I haven't seen, and when I looked it up, it didn't seem like I'd want to, so I took it entirely in my own direction. In fact, the direction I took it was north, because that's where I'm from.

It doesn't contain the word home but I believe it will be clear why it fits the theme! It also turns out to be a train song.

Top Bottom