Recording a baritone ukulele in a studio

Reaction score
I'm going to be recording in a studio soon, with my baritone ukulele. Does anyone have any tips on how to get the best sound out of the uke? Or do I just play it as I normally do and let the sound engineer make the best sound out of it? Sometimes it sounds a bit twangy partly because they are nylon and wound strings I think. Sometimes I use a pick but most of the time I just use my thumb. I will put new strings on a week before recording. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Suggest wearing clothing without buttons or buckles and removing jewelry or anything that could make noise. Take an extra set of strings. If you have wound strings and want to temporarily reduce finger slide noise maybe bring some beeswax for fingertips if you think you may need. If you are usually seated, find out if a stool or seat is available at the studio or rehearse standing. Time is money. So, be as well prepared as you can. Is this recording for vocals also?

Suggest wearing clothing without buttons or buckles and removing jewelry or anything that could make noise. Take an extra set of strings. If you have wound strings and want to temporarily reduce finger slide noise maybe bring some beeswax for fingertips if you think you may need. If you are usually seated, find out if a stool or seat is available at the studio or rehearse standing. Time is money. So, be as well prepared as you can. Is this recording for vocals also?
Thanks, and yes I'm recording vocals too

a lot of classical guitar players will use a "deader" polished or flatwound string for recording to minimize handling noise and fret noises even if they prefer a brighter string for general or live use. If your sound engineer has experience recording classical guitar, ask him/her for what has/hasn't worked for them in the past.

a lot of classical guitar players will use a "deader" polished or flatwound string for recording to minimize handling noise and fret noises even if they prefer a brighter string for general or live use. If your sound engineer has experience recording classical guitar, ask him/her for what has/hasn't worked for them in the past.
Thanks I'll ask my local shop for flatwound tomorrow

Thanks I'll ask my local shop for flatwound tomorrow
There aren't many. Here's one but may not be readily available

This "lightly polished" set should be easier to find

Not an expert here, but is it the right timing to change nylon strings just a week before?

For me, changing nylon strings takes an instrument completely out for two days before it is even playable, removing valuable practice time. And a week after, probably still need to retune between songs.

To me, strings are still new after a few months. If you are thinking of trying a new string type, polished, I would change ASAP and just take my time to get to know them. And let them have more than a week to settle in.

Again, I dont have experience from professional studios, I just prefer strings that are settled in.

I've got my tracks back from the studio, thanks for the advice. Does anyone want me to post my tracks on here for the results to listen to?

Quite nice. Love the tone and feel of both songs. Found myself being carried away............................

Top Bottom