Which Pono (or other)? Difference between these models?

walleyealx

Reaction score
Hello! I'm a guitar player and I’d like to pick up a decent ukulele and start playing around with it. I’m thinking between 500 and $1000. From what I’ve searched so far people are saying Pono is probably the best value here. Looking on their website and around different forms I see that they’re used to be a pro classic model, and that they are being "blown out“. For example:

Before finding those, I was considering this version of Pono. But in the little preview video, he says it’s "below" the pro classic model, despite costing more.

Of course, I realize some of the woods are different, and that can affect tone (I think they have spruce tops available in both variations as well fwiw), but considering I’m buying this site unseen and this is my first uke I’m not really bothered by that. Would you consider the “pro classic“ model here the better value? Both similarly priced with a hard case. Any other options that you would take over this in this price range?

Thanks ahead of time!

Last edited:
Welcome to UU. I've got 2 Pono's and they're both very well built and great playing instruments. I don't think you'd go wrong with either of those you listed. Pro Classic or not, they're going to both be very well built instruments and the setups you get buying from TUS are very good. I'd pay more attention to the sound samples they offer and what type of tonewood you prefer.

I've got a Pono MB and absolutely love the tone. My preference is for mahogany instruments, and I can't imagine it sounding or playing any better than it does and it's not in the Pro Classic or Master Series.

@walleyealx

The Mahogany Pro Classic one there has back binding a like a bajillion layers of purfling. Small but expensive details. Binding on the instrument is akin to bumpers on a car. Also has double fret markers at harmonics

The cedar rosewood, on the other hand, is a more expensive wood combo but lacks the other things I mentioned. The rosette is relatively simple compared to the other one.

That's where the cost difference occurs for sure. Maybe elsewhere also. Hope that helps!

Either one should be a winner. Ponos are great - any of the TUS blow out listings would be a great buy.

I have owned Ponos before - several. I couldn't resist and bought one this month just so I could have a Pono again.
I picked one out of the blow out sale clearing some models. Nice value.

Pick which ever you think you may like. Several nice choices are listed.

I bought a Cedar top with Mahogany back and sides this time and it super nice.... Very pleased. Every Pono I have bought has been excellent.
At one point I had six of them at one time ! I had to have one again.

Since you’re a guitar player, you know that the top wood and its bracing are the most important for the overall sound of the instrument.

Any discussion of tonewoods on any guitar forum will be just as informative, and just as filled with snake oil claims, as any you find here.

Generally, Spruce runs brighter, Cedar runs warmer, and hardwares seem to chime. Naturally there are dozens of specific species, c.f. Any discussion of the various flavors of “Spruce” used by Martin over the years..

And there’s nothing Wrong with snake oil so long as it consists of 100% oil squeezed from snakes….

You can save some money if you pick a model without the slothead. My preference is to Not have a slothead as I find string changes easier and I just like the look of a plain headstock. Thats one more thing you might consider.

There are several Tenors to choose from that are on the blowout discount and they are a really good value.

You can't go wrong with whatever model you choose.

You are on the right tack. I have many nice guitars and just bought, my first uke, a used Pono ATSH-SP, Acacia body, tenor, slothead, Spruce top. I feel that a Pono in the $500-$1000 is in the quality range of a $2000-$3000 guitar. I like the looks of the slothead, but that's just me.

Chris

The slotheads on a Pono tenor are rather thick. In fact, my Snark tuners just barely open far enough to mount on the slothead. At least on my 2017 & 2018 Ponos. While I like the look, I think the paddle headstocks are a better value. I don't know if it's still true, but the neck on my slotted headstock MTSH-C-MS Cedar/Mahogany tenor was very thick at the headstock throat. Moreso than on the paddle types I had.

For quite a few years, my 2017 spruce/rosewood tenor RTC(S)-PC Tenor Cutaway Pro Classic was one of my favorite tenors. The Pono passive pickup TUS installed is excellent. My Kinnard Series 2 Spruce/Rosewood beats it for sound and playability, but not by a lot.

The radiused fretboard and truss rod on the PC models are nice features as well. Some of the non-PCs don't have radiused fretboards.

Do you folks know the difference between the regular deluxe models and the pro classic? Is it just cosmetic?
Thanks

Top Bottom