Difference between sopraninos Ohana SK-21 and SK-21M

moonlessbag

Reaction score
Hi all. I've been contemplating acquiring a sopranino (is this the dreaded UAS??) and there seem to be a few of these Ohanas about. I was wondering if anyone has experience with both of these models? Is there any difference in the sound quality between the two different versions of the mahogany Ohana sopranino? All I've been able to spot so far, difference-wise, is that the M is stained to look more like an old Martin. I believe the binding is different too. Is anything else substantially different? I'm most interested in how they sound and how they play.

Thanks!

You might ask Ohana that question, they are pretty quick to answer. Have you seen DownUpDave's thread on sopraninos? If you want better sound you might try to find a Kiwaya U-trip-01, the double bout version, although they are hard to find (if successful, you would have something truly unique outside Japan!).

Wow a flurry of excitement over the little sopranino. To answer your question, I don't know the answer if the M is better sounding. For the most part I believe the added $100 cost is to do with the finish treatment. It does say "premium" mahogany in the description. That may or may not make it sound better. Each factory built instrument is unique and I have played cheaper models that sounded better then the high grade ones.

I have ordered an SK-21! I couldn't find any suppliers in Australia that had the M, in any case, so that made the decision for me. Thanks for everyone's input!

I have ordered an SK-21! I couldn't find any suppliers in Australia that had the M, in any case, so that made the decision for me. Thanks for everyone's input!
I have owned the SK-21, Moon, and after making disposition of it several years ago I often contemplate getting another one! It's a darn good little uke!

Top Bottom