What problems do you see with radius fretboards?

I could take it or leave it with a radiused fretboard. I was super curious to try one before I ever did because I'd always heard people say that barre chords would be easier, playing would be easier etc, but I didn't really find that to be the case. I don't have an issue with fretting barre chords; my issue is switching to/from them quickly. However I also don't have any hand issues/arthritis or anything. Most of the time I don't even really notice a radius unless it's particularly aggressive. Most of my guitars have one, but the only one I really notice it on is my vintage-style Fender that has a 7.25" radius.

I recommend you try to get to a music store and try out a uke that has one and see if you like it.

I did some research and I believe I may have a "compound radius" fretboard which I never knew about. As I said eariler, I let luthiers do what they want. After all, they are the artists and not me. So I have a radius fretboard and never knew it. Perhaps that should tell you something about the option: it is quite negligible. I will mention one thing I have noticed. Sometimes my barre chord isn't clean on the A string and I have to pull down and kind of squeeze with my proximal phlanges. Is that because of hand-fatigue, because my central nervous system just isn't firing at 100%, or because I'm assuming a flat surface when the surface has a contour to it? I don't know. In the end it doesn't matter. You get your uke, meld with it, and it becomes the default and you unwittingly just adjust to it regardless of its specs.

I recommend you try to get to a music store and try out a uke that has one and see if you like it.
Does anyone know of tenor ukuleles with a radius fretboards that might conceivably be found in music stores? Ibanez UEWT5 and UEW5TE Tenors are the only ones I have found.

I am in the process of ordering a slightly customized tenor and I need to decide which fingerboard to request. I have read many posts by people who are convinced that radiused fretboards enhance their performance, but only a relatively few by people who disagree. I have no experience with radiused fretboards. I am a former performer on classical guitar and a folksinger before that (1960s!), and I expect that I eventually will be able to play in a few different styles. Do you think radiused fretboards make playing (or certain types of playing) more difficult Thank you for your input.
I have two ukes with a radius fretboard. My Pono PC seems to have more of a radius than my Enya. I like both but the Pono, often slammed with the notoriously misleading "narrow nut and thick neck" is among the easiest to play of all my ukuleles. The Enya fretboard is wider and the radius seems less pronounced to the point I rarely notice it.

Like others have said, i have no problem moving between radius and standard fretboards.

I am in the process of ordering a slightly customized tenor and I need to decide which fingerboard to request. I have read many posts by people who are convinced that radiused fretboards enhance their performance, but only a relatively few by people who disagree. I have no experience with radiused fretboards. I am a former performer on classical guitar and a folksinger before that (1960s!), and I expect that I eventually will be able to play in a few different styles. Do you think radiused fretboards make playing (or certain types of playing) more difficult Thank you for your input.

You state that you are a former performer on classical guitar. They are all flat fret boards as you know so it would seem to me that is what you are use to and would be most comfortable with.

I played steel string acoustic guitar, which all have a radiused fretboard, before finding the ukulele. My first couple cheap ukes where flat, then I played a friend's Pono with radiusand it was like going home. Subsequent ukuleles purchased were all radiused. Go with what you are most comfortable with, flat, is my thought. This is coming from a died in the wool radius fan

Since I got two ukuleles with a 12" radius, they have become my favorites.
I cant say that they dont affect my technique... Going back to my flat fretboards is a bit of a bummer after playing radiused.
Other than that, I see no downside.

Radiused fretboard is mainly a feature of steel string guitars and I am not sure what the benefits for a uke with narrow nut could be. But those who have radiused uke seem to like it so would trust that feedback.

I am the OP and I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. It seems the range of opinions about radius ranges from: "they are great" to "they may be good, but they are not nessesary, and not worth the extra cost." Am I getting that right?

I am the OP and I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. It seems the range of opinions about radius ranges from: "they are great" to "they may be good, but they are not nessesary, and not worth the extra cost." Am I getting that right?
Yeah... true of most, make that all, threads asking for members' opinions.

Radiused might help the fretting hand and might not help for the nonfretting hand. But the difference will be small and you should be able to adapt to either if you are younger and capable. Same answers would come out if radiused were standard and you had a choice to make a flat fretboard on a custom. Are you curious enough and adventurous enough to try it? I have both on customs and enjoy playing them equally.

I'm a radiused fretboard fangirl. When I received my Cocobolo Ukulele, with a 12" radius, I nearly freaked out, noting how much easier it was to play than my old flat fretboard ukuleles. I never wanted to go back!
Now, even with all of it's drawbacks, the Cocobolo is the only uke I play onstage.
Your ukulele may have it, and you don't know it. If you hold it with the butt facing you, look straight down toward the nut. You may find a subtle curve on the top of the nut and the saddle. That's how you'll know. Good to know when trying out ukuleles in stores.

Just when it seemed like I could stop thinking about radius fretboards...
What about capos? Are there capos for radius fretboards? Or do I need to forget about being capable and become a virtuoso (and play effortlessly in any key) or a millionaire (and own multiple radiused ukes)?

I can’t imagine a radius making any type of playing more difficult. In fact, guitar fretboards are usually radiused.
Classical guitars have flat fretboards. Until recently you’d only find radiused fretboards in electric guitars. To the OP’s question, I prefer flat boards, especially on something as narrow and an ukulele FB. With my two personal MBUs one is flat and the other is radiused. I really can’t tell the difference between them. One kind slightly favors the right hand, the other, the left hand. So it really depends on your playing style and what you are used to. Keep in mind if your uke board has a radius over 16” you might have a moment of adjustment switching back to an uke with a flat board. Most of the pro musicians I know play ukes with flat FBs but would have no problem playing with either. The radiused board seems to be especially helpful to players to don’t have much experience or have physical impairments. Focus on your practice time and you will become equally adept on either.

Last edited:
I’ve ordered a concert from Barron River, to be built in January, and his instruments all have the same compound radius: the curvature of the FB is graduated from 12” at the nut to 16” at the end.
Interesting. I think this means it gets flatter. What will be the radius for the saddle?

Beats me! My guess is 16 at saddle, 12 at nut?
Can confirm visually that the nut is the same as the first fret, so 12. Agree that the bridge is likely 16. Can testify that it is a great sounding and playing ukulele!

Just when it seemed like I could stop thinking about radius fretboards...
What about capos? Are there capos for radius fretboards? Or do I need to forget about being capable and become a virtuoso (and play effortlessly in any key) or a millionaire (and own multiple radiused ukes)?

Perhaps the rubber part on capos can adapt to the radius, I dont know.

Anyway, for guitars you can get flat or radiused capos, for classical and western guitars respectively. Dont know if they are interchangeable.
The few times I have used a capo on a uke, I have just used my radiused guitar capo. It has been on my AMM3, which has a very slight radius. Worked like a charm. On a soprano ukulele it might look big and wonky, on a tenor ukulele which allready has a big slottes headstock, no problem to me.

Top Bottom