Risa Electric Les Paul, intonation / tuning problems

Prenez

Reaction score
No matter what I do I can't get the intonation right. I'm adjusting the bridge screws, checking on open vs 12th fret as recommended, and (using a Kala tuner) the notes are always 50pts (or whatever you call them) off.

Is it just a lemon instrument?

I can get C, E and A in at least the right range, but the Low G is always off. If I get it right with open strings, it's off when I fret. If I get it right when i fret, it's off with open strings.

I love the instrument but it's gotta git the notes right. Any advice on this?

Hi Prenez, maybe I can get the ball rolling for you here...

Does your Risa Les Paul have a "zero fret"? If so, that probably eliminates the nut as a source of your issue.

When you tune the strings accurately in their "open" position, and then check them for accuracy at the 12th fret, are they playing too sharp up there at the 12th fret, or too flat?

P.S. A couple of photos of the instrument would be helpful, in particular the area around the adjustable bridge.

Last edited:
Hi Prenez, maybe I can get the ball rolling for you here...

Does your Risa Les Paul have a "zero fret"? If so, that probably eliminates the nut as a source of your issue.

When you tune the strings accurately in their "open" position, and then check them for accuracy at the 12th fret, are they playing too sharp up there at the 12th fret, or too flat?

P.S. A couple of photos of the instrument would be helpful, in particular the area around the adjustable bridge.
AFAIK these have a zero fret. But that would not rule out the nut... The change to low-G might make that the string is not seated correctly in the nut hence not running on the zero fret.
That would explain the discrepancies between being in tune on open or being in tune fretted.

AFAIK these have a zero fret. But that would not rule out the nut... The change to low-G might make that the string is not seated correctly in the nut hence not running on the zero fret.
That would explain the discrepancies between being in tune on open or being in tune fretted.
Good points, PT. I see that these have an adjustable truss rod too, although it seems unlikely that the problem would stem from excessive neck relief, especially if this is a new instrument that no previous owner has tinkered with. A few photos of the nut area and the bridge area really would be of assistance, if Prenez happens to hop back on here soon and sees our responses. (y)

If it was on the trussrod, there would be other problems accompanying the intonation. Action for instance. I didn't hear the OP complain about that. Nor the same intonation issue before changing to low G. The change in tension on the neck from the string-change looks neglectable to me...

Last edited:
Do they not have adjustable saddles for each string? So just put them in the mid point to start and then adjust each string until they are are good. There are probably many tutorials on this. Of course if you have to adjust two strings to opposite ends of the bridge and still not ok then there may be something wrong with uke.

Have you brought it in for an actual setup? It could be worth it just to save yourself the headache.

That would defeat the point of the tech support forum! ;)

Fair point. And while I don't mind adjusting the saddles for intonation for any of my string instruments (including the RISA), I'm just saying that having a good baseline might not be a bad idea if OP has never gotten it quite right this whole time.

I was under the impression that the OP already knows how to adjust the saddles but can't get the intonation right anyway.

I was under the impression that the OP already knows how to adjust the saddles but can't get the intonation right anyway.
Does not compute. 🤖

I'm pretty sure in Phil McKnight's video he address that by starting over on one end of the throw.

Does not compute. 🤖

I'm pretty sure in Phil McKnight's video he address that by starting over on one end of the throw.

Re-read the original post. It seems clear to me that that seems to be the case.

Edit - I guess it's a moot point now.

Top Bottom