SOTU 635: Castles

Ms Bean

Reaction score
Welcome to Season 635.

This week I'd like you all to find or write a song with a mention of castles, and maybe the occasional palace, in the title or the lyrics.

I also came across a number of musical groups with names that refer to castles. I was familiar with none of the bands, but maybe some of you do know of them and their music.

For some inspiration and reading about castles in general, I'll send you to Wikipedia.

Other rules as usual (see the Seasons of the Ukulele FAQ if you don't know what that means)

We've had some fabulous new participants in the Seasons recently, and if you're considering joining in, then please do! Your debut song is completely free. Any other songs you might want to bring, should fit this week's theme.

New videos only please (with the usual exemptions), posted on YouTube so that they can be added to the playlist, and please say either in the video or description that it's for Seasons of the Ukulele 635. It'd also be really nice to put a link to this post so that people who stumble on your video on youtube know what we're up to.

Please, do not post more than 8 videos, and if possible, keep the video under 4 minutes.
The end of the week is just as good as the beginning, if you ask me. However, if spreading your entries out doesn't work for you, then post them when and as you can.
For your fourth and potential eighth video I would like you to bring an instrumental only (melody only, multitrack productions like Arvin aka ukudancer, or chord melody etc).

Originals, multitracking and collaborations welcome.

I would like to ask that you include the songwriters or performers in your post if you do not want to include the information in the YouTube description. Every week I hear a lot of new music on the Seasons, and it's nice to know the name of the song, band and composers if I want to check out other versions.

Don't forget to listen to and comment on other songs too! It's very inspiring to hear and see the different playing styles and techniques. Let people know how awesome they are!

You can post any time from 00:00:00 Sunday 14th April, Hawaiian time, right up to 23:59:59 on Sunday 21th April Hawaiian time.

Del's Season 'Love Your Larynx' is also still in full swing, and you may have more songs for him too.

The PLAYLIST is here once the videos come in.

Last edited:
But you might moat-ivate him to come up with something.

There’s a re(moat) chance that One Man and his Uke won’t come up with a bad pun on this theme.
He won’t be able to stop himself - he has turret’s syndrome!

Hello, Sabine and thank you for hosting! Ye gods and gadzooks, I bring you the most miserable song you are likely to hear today ... if you have tears and etc. (I hope to come up with something more cheerful later!)

The taunt of the French Knight from the castle battlements.

I believe that was filmed at Doune Castle in (?) Fife. I have been there but didn’t go to the top to taunt anyone sadly. I think it also doubled as Castle Anthrax. You can also visit Castle Argh, it’s not far from Oban, I looked at it from a distance from a RIB but you can only go inside at certain times though because it’s a private residence afaik.

I believe that was filmed at Doune Castle in (?) Fife. I have been there but didn’t go to the top to taunt anyone sadly. I think it also doubled as Castle Anthrax. You can also visit Castle Argh, it’s not far from Oban, I looked at it from a distance from a RIB but you can only go inside at certain times though because it’s a private residence afaik.
I've never got around to visiting Doune Castle (it's in Perthshire, but not all that far from the edge of Fife) although I did once go and visit the killer bunny cave from the same film which is in a field just off a tiny road next to Loch Tay. Oddly not signposted...

I've never got around to visiting Doune Castle (it's in Perthshire, but not all that far from the edge of Fife) although I did once go and visit the killer bunny cave from the same film which is in a field just off a tiny road next to Loch Tay. Oddly not signposted...
RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!!

Did you take the Holy Hand Grenade along just in case?

As there is definitely no U2 song that will fit this season, I went looking for another song, I ended up finding some obscure Belgian Song (which I adapted a little bit to Dutch). This is called Kasteel Van Schelpjes En Zand (Castle of Shells and Sand) by Willem Vermandere

Translated lyrics:

[Verse 1]
There was a little boy playing on the beach,
He built a castle with shells and sand;
and I who passed by, I stood there,
and I quietly let that kid go (2x)

[Verse 2]
There the castle grew, it shot straight up
with towers, a gate' and a wide arch;
and ponds and parks all around,
fountains and springs sprang up from the ground (2x)

[Verse 3]
And knights rode on horseback through the forest
and where they passed the flowers sprang from the moss,
princesses and ladies in silk and lace,
sang and waved at me with a firm hand (2x)

[Verse 4]
Hundreds of people were in the castle
everyone got his share of rice porridge and cake;
There was even a minstrel who sang songs,
While the king danced and jumped (2x)

[Verse 5]
I jumped up to dance but there was no one left,
How is that possible, all at once?
Just in the distance there was walking along the beach,
a very small boy with a scoop in his hand (2x)

Top Bottom