Season 567 - Songs From The Back Burner

DelGriff

A very boring man!
Reaction score
Season 567 - Songs From The Back Burner

Happy Christmas to you all!

My gift to you this week is the opportunity to play and sing those songs that you’ve been meaning to bring to a season, but the plan has never quite come to fruition. This may be because it hasn’t quite fitted any of the recent themes, or because you haven’t had the time when it would have been appropriate, or simply because it never got past the ‘fleeting idea’ stage. Please outline in your forum post why the song(s) you choose qualify for the theme, even if it’s a simple “I’ve been meaning to do this one for ages”.

Newcomers to the Seasons, who haven’t been with us for long enough to have any significant numbers of such songs, can simply bring their favourite songs to play and sing.

The songwriters amongst us may have some unfinished songs or song ideas they can finally flesh out and complete - again, some background info in the forum post would be much appreciated.

So, originals, collaborations and multitracked songs are very welcome, as long as uke is in the mix somewhere. The song limit is initially one per day, which I may relax as the week goes on, depending on volume of entries. The Season will run from 12.01am Sunday 25th December to 11.59pm Sunday 1st January (Hawaiian time).

There will be a prize for my favourite entry.

The most important rule of them all - have fun! :)

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
Wow, it must be Christmas ... I'm four hours late and still the first to post!

It's Christmas Day here, and I've spent my day getting to the Woodford Folk Festival, which starts on the 27th and runs through New Year's Day. It's been quite the day - packing, loading, driving, waiting in a huge crowded car park for 3 hours to get in, then sorting out a snafu with my ticket, then driving around for ages looking for a decent camping spot for me and my crew, who are arriving Tuesday, setting up in the dark, then finally getting a chance to check the new Season while sheltering in my tent from the rain.

I have a back burner list, so I looked there for inspiration. Well, what do you know ... here's one I've attempted several times and forgotten about ... and it's a Christmas song!

I can see why I've failed at it multiple times - it's taken all evening to work it out. I think if I'd done it any other day but Christmas, it would have turned out differently. I quite like how it came out.

This is a mashup of "O Tannenbaum" with "O Danny Boy". Many of you may feel that such a ridiculous idea ought to have stayed on the back burner for all eternity ... but thanks to Del it's now unleashed on an unsuspecting world.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Big thanks to Wendy for kicking things off so wonderfully well! This hosting malarkey’s a piece of cake!
*tumbleweed rolls by*
😉

I Know That Guy You're With - Robert Earle Keen

Howdy Del et al,
I know I shared this song long ago at the open mic, but I don't believe I've ever made a video of it. Marc did a Robert Earle Keen song on Saturday, and it reminded me of this one.

There was a theme of carousels a few months ago, I think. I tried writing a song for it and came up with something but I didn't think it was all that great. Also, my work schedule has been killing me and I've hardly had time to do any original songs, so I put it on the shelf. But we got home from our Christmas festivities at about 3 PM today so I thought I'd try to do it this time. Overdubbed some harmony vocals, and added a little riff and used my u-bass for the first time in a long time because I haven't had time to play it much.

(chorus)
I've got 20 dollars in my wallet
And a pocket full of loose change
I'm gonna ride this carousel
Until that carnie rings the bell
Or until I'm just too dizzy to feel the pain

She said she wonders why she loves me
She said I'm a little too strange
Drifting aimless like the clouds above me
And my thoughts are disarranged

So I took a little money
And went on down to the park
I said I'll see you later honey
Don't expect me back before dark

'Cause I've got (chorus)

I'm just goin' 'round in circles, I know
Goin' nowhere got nowhere to go
Where I'm going I can never tell
I'm just stuck riding this carousel

(chorus)

My dear Seasonista pals across the world, I continue to be struck by your talent, your creativity and most of all your commitment to this little “find” in the vastness of online space. Del, you are a champ for hosting and I appreciate this weeks theme!

I made a big move this year and have not had the time or energy to post frequently. I left Vancouver after 40 years and moved to the small town of Gibsons on the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia. Yes, Australian pals…there is another Sunshine Coast!

My new home and the garden especially have been a very big preoccupation. But it’s the dark time of winter now on the West Coast in Canada and my ukulele and your camaraderie are calling me back. On my uke this year I have been working on chord melody solos. Some of you make this look so easy!

I have a long back list but this song speaks to me….”Boat On The River” by Tommy Shaw of Styx (1979). Hope you enjoy it. All the best for the holidays and a healthy, music filled 2023.

Big thanks to Wendy for kicking things off so wonderfully well! This hosting malarkey’s a piece of cake!
*tumbleweed rolls by*
😉
Christmas cake???

Del, I won't be home until later this evening, so I can't share anything new for a couple more days. Does the rules allow for a song from last week that didn't fit the seasonal theme?

Ps - happy holidays, everyone!

Del, I won't be home until later this evening, so I can't share anything new for a couple more days. Does the rules allow for a song from last week that didn't fit the seasonal theme?

Ps - happy holidays, everyone!
Yes - anything you were planning to do that didn't fit or didn't have time for is absolutely fine. Looking forward to hearing what you do! 🙂

As you may know I'm trying to record all U2 songs for you all, but I have not touched many from the early records, basically because songwise they are loads of loose notes on guitar and the delay that comes with it. But this one seems to work well like this, this is called I will follow (by U2 obviously).

Way back in August, LizBrinker hosted a season based on your birth month. I did "June Hymn", by The Decemberists. On the same album they also recorded "January Hymn", which has been sitting around in my pile of possible songs ever since. I think I did it at one of the Sauturday Zoom sessions, but here it is finally recorded.

Last edited:
"Please outline in your forum post why the song(s) you choose qualify for the theme..."
"Newcomers to the Seasons, who haven’t been with us for long..."
Thank you all for the encouragement and inclusion here. The talent on this forum is humbling.

Thanks Del The Magnificent for hosting in this no man's land of a week. Here's a Van Morrison that I thought about doing for Ylle's "Home" week.
Stoney above prompted my memory with his fine Van excursion. Sorry about flaunting the new Xmas T shirt on this 33 Deg C day in Sydney...I know some of you may not be as warm.

Happy final week of 2022, Seasonistas!

Del, I hope to join the party but the COVID Grinch visited us last week. I’m recovering, thanks to modern medicine, but I have no idea if I’ll have the voice or stamina to do what I planned.

I‘ll have lots of time to enjoy everyone’s contributions!

And how I tried to get this out during “Miller” week. Poor Melissa heard me play it 6098 times, never to my satisfaction. I was so in meed to get this off my chest I almost ur first take tonight…I did not. This is our third or forth and it is far better than the first one was if you can believe it.

Last edited:
I posted a mystical Sufi song and John posted Into the mystic so by the process of serendipity here is a song based on 12th century mystic Hildegard of Bingen.

All songs are ment for someone to hear, why else would they spring into existence?

O orzchis Ecclesia, armis divinis praecincta, et hyacinto ornata,
tu es caldemia stigmatum loifolum et urbs scienciarum.
O, o tu es etiam crizanta in alto sono, et es chorzta gemma.

It took a while for me to learn this. Then I had to wait for a Season that matched up. I think there are one or two that I missed because I was otherwise occupied. So here we are! Thanks, Del for giving us all a chance to do songs that we have been meaning to do!

Top Bottom