Please, somebody buy this

Black label in auction:

Wow, I didn't expect an all maple ukulele to sound this great.

That is a really nice one. I won't be helping you out by buying it, though. :D
Maybe if you dream enough, it will come your way?
Well I kept dreaming and almost gave up but a really nice used one came up for sale. Ask the wife again and she said "Go ahead and buy it". I hope it sounds as nice as that one.

100th anniversary HP-1... not sure but it seems like a good deal

Adding this one to the list:

To be honest, this one isn't in danger of being purchased by me. Though wow - what a glorious tone!

Not a bad deal on this Martin C1k, and it looks better than most, with a nice dark fretboard.

Adding this one to the list:

To be honest, this one isn't in danger of being purchased by me. Though wow - what a glorious tone!
Omg... yes no danger there.
The sides/back are from same burl used for RollsRoyce interior trims.
And the tuners; first time seeing these, must be good.
The price is the eye-opener for me. Lots of detail but what does that say for custom uke buyers?
I would guess and say he's asking for the value in time and materials that goes into building great ukes... its scaring me.

Anybody remember that unbelievable vintage Martin collection I used to drool over 15 years ago?
I'd love to gander through a modern day discriminating collector's showcase.

The price is the eye-opener for me. Lots of detail but what does that say for custom uke buyers?
I would guess and say he's asking for the value in time and materials that goes into building great ukes... its scaring me.

Keep in mind that not all custom ukes are in that price range. Moore Bettahs and Petros seem to be some of the higher end ones right now, but a lot of great luthier built ukuleles are thousands less.

If you've won that billion dollar lottery, or have the money to spare, that's a fantastic sounding ukulele and worth considering purchasing. It's probably a great experience to get to play something like that. OTOH, it is out of the price range of most of us. But, that single ukulele doesn't say anything about custom uke buyers, IMO, other than there are some who have that money to spare and will hopefully really enjoy that ukulele.
The rest of us can enjoy looking and listening to the sound sample. I think it sounds great, and I appreciate the workmanship, but it's out of my price range for sure.

Keep in mind that not all custom ukes are in that price range. Moore Bettahs and Petros seem to be some of the higher end ones right now, but a lot of great luthier built ukuleles are thousands less.

If you've won that billion dollar lottery, or have the money to spare, that's a fantastic sounding ukulele and worth considering purchasing. It's probably a great experience to get to play something like that. OTOH, it is out of the price range of most of us. But, that single ukulele doesn't say anything about custom uke buyers, IMO, other than there are some who have that money to spare and will hopefully really enjoy that ukulele.
The rest of us can enjoy looking and listening to the sound sample. I think it sounds great, and I appreciate the workmanship, but it's out of my price range for sure.
Exactly Joyful, I certainly know, and even with that said you can imagine how for a person like me who is an avid uke playing NUT but haven't stayed in touch with the community and market for a decade (after owning and selling many custom ukes back then, settling on one builder and 2 ukes) and until recently thinking "I'll never need another uke".
In the last 4 months I've bought 2 production tenors... unsatisfied I got 2 custom tenors, and still check the high end sites every day.

2 major hits after 10 yrs away: amazing custom ukes, and INFLATION... lol.

I'm sure Pegasus is up there in quality, and in my experience listening to builders... its definitely hard to get rich building ukes.
I have mixed feelings about it as a consumer, between... 1. I hope its not a trend and 2. They certainly deserve it.

Not a bad deal on this Martin C1k, and it looks better than most, with a nice dark fretboard.

Oooh, that is (or was) a great deal! and yeah, that one looks better than most others with their pale koa and fretboard.

Exactly Joyful, I certainly know, and even with that said you can imagine how for a person like me who is an avid uke playing NUT but haven't stayed in touch with the community and market for a decade (after owning and selling many custom ukes back then, settling on one builder and 2 ukes) and until recently thinking "I'll never need another uke".
In the last 4 months I've bought 2 production tenors... unsatisfied I got 2 custom tenors, and still check the high end sites every day.

2 major hits after 10 yrs away: amazing custom ukes, and INFLATION... lol.

I'm sure Pegasus is up there in quality, and in my experience listening to builders... its definitely hard to get rich building ukes.
I have mixed feelings about it as a consumer, between... 1. I hope its not a trend and 2. They certainly deserve it.
I enjoy checking the high end sites, even if I won't be purchasing. It's fun to see what it out there, hear sound samples, and admire the workmanship.

It does seem that prices jumping up are a trend - in pretty much everything, not just ukuleles. There have been some ukuleles that I might have considered at some point in the future, but noticed recent prices, (I think at the start of the year, there were some price hikes), and literally said out loud, "Well, I'm out." Their costs have all increased, they need to pay the bills, and as long as someone can afford to buy their offerings, it's all good.

If I do win one of those billion dollar lotteries, though, maybe I'll get you a ukulele. (Warning: I don't buy lottery tickets.)

I enjoy checking the high end sites, even if I won't be purchasing. It's fun to see what it out there, hear sound samples, and admire the workmanship.

It does seem that prices jumping up are a trend - in pretty much everything, not just ukuleles. There have been some ukuleles that I might have considered at some point in the future, but noticed recent prices, (I think at the start of the year, there were some price hikes), and literally said out loud, "Well, I'm out." Their costs have all increased, they need to pay the bills, and as long as someone can afford to buy their offerings, it's all good.

If I do win one of those billion dollar lotteries, though, maybe I'll get you a ukulele. (Warning: I don't buy lottery tickets.)
Seems that it's a trend that's happening with many collectables, musical instruments included. I used to notice this happening with collectable cars, which sold for eye popping prices toward the peak of an economic cycle, only to fall back in value considerably as the economy receded. The lesson is to buy the ukulele that you will enjoy right now, regardless of what it will be "worth" to others in the future!

Top Bottom