Please, somebody buy this

Kamaka Ohta-san alert! At TUS here. It is a Deluxe I model with spruce top. Please, someone must take this off the table. It is just too distracting. Beautiful sound sample by Corey as well.

Yet another reason not to get married: No one can pressure you out of that ukulele you wanted to buy.

Not that I was ever going to, I can just about be bothered to wash my own socks, let alone a husband's.

Kamaka Ohta-san alert! At TUS here. It is a Deluxe I model with spruce top. Please, someone must take this off the table. It is just too distracting. Beautiful sound sample by Corey as well.
That is a nice one! If you break down and buy it, let us know. :)

She knows I love her way more than the uke but maybe she got jealous lol. Thats why I married her, she keeps me from doing dumb stuff, like buying another ukulele.

Or is she really a roadblock to bliss?

Not to stir the pot some more, but I saw an online picture of Herb Ohta Jr holding a Ohta-san deluxe with a black slotted headstock. Anyone ever see one of these offered as a regular model or is this something that's sort of custom?

Not to stir the pot some more, but I saw an online picture of Herb Ohta Jr holding a Ohta-san deluxe with a black slotted headstock. Anyone ever see one of these offered as a regular model or is this something that's sort of custom?
I believe it occupies the area between a stock or regular model and a custom. I believe it to follow the specific parameters that Kamaka and Ohta-san designed (1965?). So the bell shaped body and the 16 inch scale lengths are likely what makes it an Ohta-san model. But the ones being produced in limited numbers may vary some in the wood selection and maybe some designs like binding and purfling. These are my deductions from being a studied forum member here.

Kamaka does a variety semi-custom versions as part of their Deluxe I and Deluxe II product lines. As I recall Deluxe I is +$1K to the base model and Deluxe II is +$2K. Then there are options like different tone woods, slotted headstock etc. at additional cost. I didn't see it for sale on their website, but in the video clips at TUS there is a recent sound sample of an Ohta-san Deluxe II, though it did not have a slotted head.

I believe it occupies the area between a stock or regular model and a custom. I believe it to follow the specific parameters that Kamaka and Ohta-san designed (1965?). So the bell shaped body and the 16 inch scale lengths are likely what makes it an Ohta-san model. But the ones being produced in limited numbers may vary some in the wood selection and maybe some designs like binding and purfling. These are my deductions from being a studied forum member here.
Thanks. Yes, I would guess the same. Whatever else varies, the 16" scale and bell shaped body seem to be the key features. I am super curious about that 16" scale...

Kamaka does a variety semi-custom versions as part of their Deluxe I and Deluxe II product lines. As I recall Deluxe I is +$1K to the base model and Deluxe II is +$2K. Then there are options like different tone woods, slotted headstock etc. at additional cost. I didn't see it for sale on their website, but in the video clips at TUS there is a recent sound sample of an Ohta-san Deluxe II, though it did not have a slotted head.
This beauty here? I've found that some newly posted ukes on TUS don't always show up in the new arrivals section of the landing page, so sometimes a search does it. Otherwise, it might've been posted and sold quickly. (*nudge nudge)... These probably wont last long, so if you're seriously thinking about, indecision is your enemy.

Thanks. Yes, I would guess the same. Whatever else varies, the 16" scale and bell shaped body seem to be the key features. I am super curious about that 16" scale...
If you want to try a more affordable 16 inch scale concert uke you can check out Cocobolo Ukuleles. All their concerts are 16 inches in scale length. I have a concert pineapple from them. Beautiful instrument, plays well, sounds great.

Personally, I didn't notice much difference in playability with the 16 inch scale length compared to, e.g., my other standard concerts. Scale length always varies a bit anyway so it's not a huge deal for me.

If you want to try a more affordable 16 inch scale concert uke you can check out Cocobolo Ukuleles. All their concerts are 16 inches in scale length. I have a concert pineapple from them. Beautiful instrument, plays well, sounds great.

Personally, I didn't notice much difference in playability with the 16 inch scale length compared to, e.g., my other standard concerts. Scale length always varies a bit anyway so it's not a huge deal for me.
I think it’s advertised as 16 in but it is actually less than that. I compared it to my Ohta san and the saddle to nut on the Ohta san is longer. And the Ohta san is 16 inch.

I like the scale length. I don’t have great reach and can comfortably do some stretches that I find hard on a 17 in scale.

I think it’s advertised as 16 in but it is actually less than that. I compared it to my Ohta san and the saddle to nut on the Ohta san is longer. And the Ohta san is 16 inch.
I measured mine at about 40.6 centimetres which is like 15.98 inches

I measured mine at about 40.6 centimetres which is like 15.98 inches
Ok. After reading what you said I decided to take both out to have a look. They are both aligned at the nut. The camera angle might show some distortion but I checked to make sure. The ohta-san is a tad longer

Attachments

• 61F86CC7-C281-4290-8847-31B997A7C76E.jpeg
    61F86CC7-C281-4290-8847-31B997A7C76E.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 1E4F3A2C-1F08-472B-AC0B-53B45C7E809C.jpeg
    1E4F3A2C-1F08-472B-AC0B-53B45C7E809C.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 25
  • 7E7EB94B-D735-45EE-9AEE-20175C147143.jpeg
    7E7EB94B-D735-45EE-9AEE-20175C147143.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 25
Ok. After reading what you said I decided to take both out to have a look. They are both aligned at the nut. The camera angle might show some distortion but I checked to make sure. The ohta-san is a tad longer
Interesting. The Cocobolo is certainly slightly shorter, maybe a centimetre shorter which is almost half an inch. Might that Cocobolo be an older model whose scale length is closer to a standard concert, or something like that? Certainly doesn't look like the newer Cocobolo concerts I've seen recently.

This beauty here? I've found that some newly posted ukes on TUS don't always show up in the new arrivals section of the landing page, so sometimes a search does it. Otherwise, it might've been posted and sold quickly. (*nudge nudge)... These probably wont last long, so if you're seriously thinking about, indecision is your enemy.

Oh that uke! That sweet voice! Who says money can’t buy happiness?

Top Bottom