Pizza Anyone? 🍕

OK. I'll bite :)

I need a good "can't mess it up" home made/raised pizza dough recipe. I have no dietary restrictions.

(Exotic flours and ingredients are not a problem.)
My go-to site for recipes in general is Serious Eats, and they have a ton of pizza articles. I'm also enjoying Vito Iacopelli's pizza channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@vitoiacopelli

Search for "no knead" recipes. They're practically fool-proof. The different variations will trade off crisp vs. chewy and such and will largely be a matter of taste which is best. Slightly lower hydration will be a bit easier. They all pretty much came from Jim Lahey's technique which you can read about at

If you like pan pizza (think classic Pizza Hut) and don't want to have to stretch the dough then check out:

For a thin crust, the one I've been doing is

This is the same as in the Lahey article, except is uses bread flour instead of AP. You may want to add a splash of olive oil (~30g / 3 TBs) and sugar (13g / 1 TBs) if you're doing it in a home oven rather than a pizza oven so it'll brown better at the lower temperature. There are discussions of different techniques for different equipment at:

If you have a home oven and a pizza stone, preheat it as hot as it'll go and use the broiler to kick it up a bit more. I haven't tried the other home oven techniques to comment on them.

Vito's dough is a bit more complicated and I haven't tried it. I've learned a lot from his shaping videos.

I usually use store-bought Rao's Marinara and low moisture mozzarella from the normal cheese case and not the fresh mozzarella from the artisanal cheese case. Too much of the wet mozzarella gets soupy and soggy fast.

You will also want one of these:
Ooni Pizza Ovens
We have the GE Cafe Dual-Fuel with a baking drawer (electric) that goes up to 450 degrees. Been using the same Pampered Chef pizza stone for over 20 years and don't know that I have ever washed it per se. Just scraped off, wiped, and put away.

We have always used the grocery store pizzas as a base and added our own toppings. Over the last 2 years, these have become inedible. No more.

Last edited:
I usually like traditional Italian pizza like Quattro Stagione. Of the North American style we always order Maui Zowie from Round Table when we are in Hawaii. Can't get that in Canada.

Open question to everyone: What are your favourite pizza toppings? If you could construct a pizza from anything at all, what would it be? You can even specify crust type if you want (e.g. maybe you prefer spelt flour to regular white flour).

Open question to everyone: What are your favourite pizza toppings? If you could construct a pizza from anything at all, what would it be? You can even specify crust type if you want (e.g. maybe you prefer spelt flour to regular white flour).
On a fresh tomato sauced pizza... cheese only; quattro formaggio (mozzarella, pecorino romano, gorgonzola, & mild chedar). If I have some, fresh basil to finish. Baked in a 550 f degree oven on a steel pizza stone using homemade dough. Period !

#1 Large C-S-M-ON-OL(black and/or green)-GP, extra Mozzarella, thinly sliced tomato on top, and a little oregano sprinkled over all.

Cooked until the cheese is just lightly browned.

"Regular" - no thin or deep dish. (Although back in my middle years, Lou Malnati's "Chicago-style" ruled!)

That pizza looks fantastic. I make my own as well a few times a month. I just made one last week, but next time, I snap some pics. Just replaced my broken pizza stone too. Can't wait to make a fresh one.
I recommend considering a pizza steel. They are heavy but I like that they don't break and I enjoy the texture of the bottom of the crust.

Edit: Oops, I misread that you were still looking to replace, not that you just had recently replaced!

We need a drool "like" option.

That cheesey appley one looks amazing! I used to get a brie & blueberry bagel yonks ago and it was a favourite, I bet this would be right up there in awesome-tude. Sadly, I can't eat cheese at the moment (so much sad about that), and the non-dairy options don't do anything for me, so I'm not really into pizza lately. BUT before that, I adore a Mediterranean version at one of our local pizzarias that has artichoke hearts, pesto base, and lots of feta. For home baked, we make our own ham (and other cured products) and we'd love ham & mozza with herbed dried olives, dried tomatoes and, well, herbs, lol.
That’s my fave, PW! Regardless of meat and cheese, it has to have artichoke hearts & green olives.

Ho Ho Ho! It's pizza night at my house... anticipation is building!

Thin yeast crust... Bob's Red Mill orgainc general purpose flour, saute veggies and a light tomato sauce, cheese... aluminum pie pans that have tiny holes drilled into them, @ 475...

Here we go!

A lot of horrible pizzas have been made in Denmark. Is shredded spam a worldwide normal pizza topping? A classic in Denmark. And then there is the salat pizza. With "iceberg" lettuce and sour cream dressing on top of a pizza.

Thankfully, here are also Italian style pizzerias with good pizza.
My favorites are:
Mushrooms and gorgonzola
Zucchini and spicy Italian salami

I also tried to make my own pizzas on my "baking steel" plate, you know, like a pizza stone but made from steel. OK results, but so much easier to call the pizza place.

A lot of horrible pizzas have been made in Denmark. Is shredded spam a worldwide normal pizza topping? A classic in Denmark. And then there is the salat pizza. With "iceberg" lettuce and sour cream dressing on top of a pizza.

Thankfully, here are also Italian style pizzerias with good pizza.
My favorites are:
Mushrooms and gorgonzola
Zucchini and spicy Italian salami

I also tried to make my own pizzas on my "baking steel" plate, you know, like a pizza stone but made from steel. OK results, but so much easier to call the pizza place.
Zucchini! Now I'm hungry.

Is shredded spam a worldwide normal pizza topping?
Hm. Not worldwide - we have ham but not spam as a typical topping in Canada. We love our ham & pineapple here... well, ok that's debatable, not everyone loves it, but it is pretty popular.

Hm. Not worldwide - we have ham but not spam as a typical topping in Canada. We love our ham & pineapple here... well, ok that's debatable, not everyone loves it, but it is pretty popular.
Well, the stuff I talk about is branded as ham in the menu, but it is shredded and comes out of a can that looks doubvious.
Its says "bov", I think that is kind of the danish word for spam. Besides meaning as special part of an animals leg, but you know, when it is pork based mystery meat from a can.

Edit: Googling the definition of spam, I discovered that it is apparently very popular in Hawaii. So for a "Pizza Hawaii" with pineapple, I guess it is kind of authentic not to use quality ham :LOL:

Top Bottom