Build an outdoor oven for bread, pizza, cooking

casualmusic

Reaction score
Hi all

A. Does back yard bread baking appeal to you?

Summer heat in some places makes it unpleasant to use the indoor oven in homes without air conditioning.

There is a small revival in back yard baking. City regulations often restrict ovens to charcoal, gas and electricity. Country living may allow wood burning except during brush fire season.

Internet search results in lots of articles, blogs, and videos by home owners, lifestyle publications, and historical reenactment organizations. Some follow 3000 year old patterns. Others are sleek and modern. (A few links are below)

B. Years ago we organized a community party to rebuild an outdoor bread oven at a friend’s Quebec family farm.

It was the latest of many replacements for the original oven, and reused the 200 year old cast iron door and door frame.

We referred to the book Quebec Bread Ovens c1979 by Blanchette and Boily. Here is an online version. Paper copies are available at online bookstores.

Our friends wanted to restore some historic parts of the farm and celebrate traditional events.

A regular event was baking many loaves of bread, pastry and treats twice weekly to feed 20ish family and helpers.

C. The first step was to set objectives, research the techniques, get supplies, and write out the steps and activities.

On the first weekend we brought in materials and tools, removed sod from the source of clay, cleared brush from the work space, repaired the oven platform, cemented the iron door frame, and set up a picnic and community area.

In the second weekend we built the oven dome.

On Saturday, clay mud was dug and wheelbarrowed to the oven site, chopped straw and water were added, and lotsa kids, teens, and adults stomped out batches of gloopy cob.

A sacrificial lattice framework of green branches and wands was assembled on the platform, and tied to the inside of the the door frame. The framework was tied together with string and covered with newspaper to prevent wet cob from falling through holes.

A ring of muddy cob was built around the lattice framework. More rings were built on top of the first until the dome was covered and packed. Lots of theatrical whacking and splattering.

The dome was scraped even, and smoothed with more wet clay. It was covered with a tarp to dry slowly. The muddy builders got hosed down and cleaned up.

Party activities were picnic meals, visiting, singing, dancing and exploring the farm on Sunday.

A few weeks later the oven door was installed and the dome was hardened, fired, and tested.

A few small fires were used to gradually heat the dome, drive out moisture, and start hardening the clay. It also burned out the sacrificial lattice framework.

On Saturday morning the oven was fired by making a small hot fire at the entrance. The embers were pushed in and another fire started at the entrance. A third fire was started and burned to embers. The door was closed on the massed embers to heat the oven.

In the afternoon the dying embers and ash were scraped out of the oven. The oven floor was cleaned with a damp mop.

Community elders with knowledge of clay ovens advised us to test it with four regular size loaves of bread dough and a couple dozen bun size pieces of dough. Bread was pulled out at intervals to check the time needed for good crust and insides. (These days we would use an oven thermometer to check temperatures over time)

Results were great hot from the oven and at dinner.

On Sunday the dome was whitewashed. The A-frame cover was rebuilt to prevent damage from rain and snow.

D. Here are a few internet links. Search for ‘make mud clay bread oven’ for many many more websites with the right details for you. You can also search ‘clay oven bread recipes’.

Last edited:
forum did not want to save this part probably because the post was too long?

Not sure about that. I recently doubled the length of allowed posts from 10,000 characters to 20,000...but maybe? I'll look into it, see if I can find anything.

Thanks again for posting this!

Not sure about that. I recently doubled the length of allowed posts from 10,000 characters to 20,000...but maybe? I'll look into it, see if I can find anything.

Thanks again for posting this!

Hi Tim

Discovered that the blockage was when I included a link to a “tripod” website.

Tripod websites were created using an obsolete format and are now generally flagged as ‘night secure’.

Can the forum be set to allow tripod.com websites?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Here is the tripod website that the forum software didn’t like:

Replace the spaces with /

mud_oven tripod.com oven.htm

Last edited:
Can the forum be set to allow tripod.com websites?

We don't have any prohibition against Tripod websites. I found a couple of links to test, and they're working as expected. Nothing in particular at these pages, and they don't load especially well. (Nothing harmful, just out of date code.) I randomly found them when I was researching the issue:

I tried getting to that Mud Oven site directly, and couldn't get the page to load. Can you see the page when use the link? Because it appears to me that the error codes that appear when I try to post that link are saying that the system didn't get a response when it pinged the site, which causes a problem for loading our page

So I think it's either the page itself or an error in the URL rather than the Tripodness of it all.

Of course if you can get through then that theory is no good. 🙂 So, are you getting to the page okay?

Last edited:
A
While cooking and grilling outdoors can be cosy and fun, I think outdoors pizza ovens have become a wasteful craze in Denmark where I live.
The number of metal pizza ovens for gas or coal you see at the hardware stores, and the number of people I have heard admitting to owning one, makes me think that is is something we will look back at in 10 years and think "oh, that was the 20s silly huge cooking gadget that everyone bought and only used a handful of times".
Sure, a pizza oven can get varmere and deliver better results, but using a conventional electric oven with a baking steel plate (a 6mm /1/4 " steel plate that youb preheat as hot as your oven gets) I have gotten decent results. So no reason for every suburban house owner to put one of these on the patio next to the grill. After all, when I want pizza I often want fastfood, I live in a suburb with plenty good pizza around.
My baking steel is mostly for breadrolls, which I bake regularly.
Denmark is not very warm in general, and almost no family houses have aircon. So cooking indoors is not that bad.

Edit: Dont get me wrong, if you are really into baking pizza or bread in a hotter oven, go for it. I just have a feeling that a lot of people just buy one because the neighbour has one, or they just need every gadget.

B
Cool work! (Well, not cool but very hot when heated properly🙂)

Last edited:
Top Bottom