Ordering a Mya-Moe resonator - advice

Hochapeafarm

Reaction score
I’m strongly leaning towards commissioning a resonator from Mya-Moe. I would like some advice regarding the sound port options that are available: the teardrop style or the window pane style.

I’ve never had a resonator before and I’d like your opinion on why I should choose one sound port style over another. Personally, I prefer the look of the teardrop as I like to see more of the beauty of the wood, but I am not sure how this impacts sound vs. going with the window pane version.

I know these instruments are known for being louder, but does the design of the sound port make a huge amount of difference in the overall volume of the instrument? I’d like to hear what your thoughts are regarding the styles of sound ports available and why you would choose one over the other.

Thanks!

I have several ukes with that side sound port, and it does make a difference in what I hear. Yes, a resonator is louder, and the sound port will give the player more of that sound. Aside from the extra cost, I see no reason not to get one. I like the look.

EDIT: Are you referring to a sound port on the side or to the sound hole on top? I don't see a sound port option from Mya-Moe.

https://www.myamoeukuleles.com/model resonator.php

Last edited:
I personally like the tear drop. However, to get anything out of the body that might have gotten in there, requires unscrewing the cone set up. I feel like I can catch my finger during certain strums in the larger window pane cutouts. I don’t think a sound port is necessary.

Last edited:
Thank you, JoAnn and Jerry, for sharing your thoughts. I ended up calling Cary at Mya-Moe and had a nice chat with him about the whole top sound port options. I also asked him a lot of other questions! :-D He’s an awesome guy! That all said, I decided to move forward with my interest in commissioning an instrument from Cary at Mya-Moe. I’m getting a classic tenor resonator, all curly myrtle. YUM!!! I chose the teardrop-style sound ports on the top. I am SO excited for my new instrument to come! It should be ready around Valentine’s Day! :)

Top Bottom