Impressions of Ordering a Custom Ukulele

The Concert Wow has landed as UPS promised. Unfortunately I only had time to unpack it and play for about ten minutes before we had to leave to drop off granddaughter and go directly to a dinner engagement. Initial report: it’s gorgeous; I had to search with strong light to find the pukas; looks like my soprano, but sounds and feels very different.

I will do a proper NUD, but I don't want to leave this thread hanging with my last brief post. Yesterday afternoon the package from UKESA arrived several days earlier than originally scheduled. I have torn into UPS before, but this time I have nothing but kudos. They delivered early, giving me the weekend with my new instrument. The package was in fine shape and they even delivered within their estimated time window.

The package included two hard cases, a KoAloha badged soprano case and an unbadged concert case with the Wow Concert inside. Both cases were very similar to Oahu cases in form and function, though the KoAloha branded case had some extra detailing (red stitching, soft handle).

When I opened the concert case, the ukulele looked so much like my soprano that it didn't look concert size. When I took it out to start tuning, the first thing that struck me was that it was more than the soprano in several respects--heavier, more string tension, more volume. As I got it in tune and played a few chords, I was immediately struck with the depth of the voice as much as the volume and sustain. I took out the soprano and spent most of the next hour comparing them in one way or another.

Before I continue this quick compare and contrast, I want to get something out of the way. I did not have the same love at first strum reaction to the concert that I had with the soprano. And by the way, I did not have that with my KoAloha tenor either, though it has become beloved, and I think of it as my best and most capable ukulele. While I want to accurately report this initial response, I don't want it to be either a criticism or a conclusion about the Wow Concert. It is more a statement about a very unique and special response to the Wow Soprano based on where I was in my ukulele journey when I first played it.

The Concert Wow sounds, feels, and plays like something from KoAlohaland. While the soprano and concert already look like siblings, your hands and ears know immediately that the KoAloha KTM00, and the two Wows come from the same family, both figuratively and literally. In general, the tonal characteristics of the concert are similar to the soprano; the tone is bell-like, very articulate, and well balanced across the strings. However, the voice of the concert is different. Not only is it bigger in the sense of volume and sustain, it is more full throated and tonally rich. I'm not a spectrum analyzer, but I think the tonal similarity is like having the same mix of harmonics, but difference in voice is due to enhancement of the mid-range. The difference in volume between the concert and soprano is more significant than the difference in sustain. Again, my nerdy analytical self sees that as more energy in those mid-range harmonics that the concert body amplifies and projects better. I also notice more change in tonal quality when I play at different volumes. In particular, more attack is possible depending on where and how I play the concert, so it is easier highlight a particular line in chord/melody. In this respect, the Concert Wow may be superior to the KoAloha KTM00. The concert maintains more of its volume and fullness of tone when played higher on the fretboard compared to the soprano. The concert sound is a grown up, more adult version of the soprano's child-like voice. It is a bit more guitar-like while the soprano is more ukuleleish. Comparing the sound to the tenor, the KTM00 voice is fuller, richer, louder, a bit more sustain, but you can tell that a Wow Concert would not "grow up" to sound like a KoAloha tenor. I would expect the KoAloha to be a bit more complex and woody sounding with the Wow Tenor being louder and a little more articulate (that attack again).

While the look and sound of the concert is more related to the soprano, the feel is closer to playing the KoAloha Tenor. The string tension and playability up the fretboard are much more tenor-like. Even though it is still a relatively light instrument at 451g, it just feels more subtantial in hand than the soprano at 354g. The action feels much more like the tenor as well, and it is easier to avoid unintentionally bending notes on the concert compared to the soprano. The slightly longer transition from the neck to the headstock compared with the soprano makes it very comfortable, and there is a bit more room for chords where I angle my wrist upward like Fm or F#dim. Playing the concert, I feel like I am playing a tenor with larger hands vs. playing a soprano with smaller hands if that makes any sense.

This morning I quickly brought my Anuenue C4 Concert (solid cedar top with laminate sides and back in high G) into the comparison. I think the C4 is a great sounding example in the $200-$300 new price range. It felt klunky (weight and action) and sounded muted compared with the Concert Wow. In fact, the Wow Soprano caught or surpassed it in volume.

This instrument is everything I hoped for and more.

I want to thank Ed, Pops, and the whole KoAloha family for submitting to this and being so open in sharing with us. I admitted to being a fanboy when I started, but I want to make it clear that there was no editorial pressure or influence from UKESA (Pops and Ed) or KoAloha. Except where I quoted directly, the words and all the mistakes/errors in prose and judgement are mine and mine alone.

Finally, I want to thank everyone who has participated here whether you posted or merely watched the thread evolve. Talk about active involvement--we even had a participant travel to Oahu, visit the shop, and put his stamp of approval, or at least some fingerprints on the Concert Wow. I appreciate the patience, the support, and all the great insights and experiences you shared. I am designating everyone who followed this thread as UU Aunties and UU Uncles of this new addition, and I am willing to discuss visitation rights if/when you are in Southern California.

I am glad that you are happy with it, Alan, It was a fun project for me. Also, very interesting to know that even though it shares the tonal qualities of the Wow soprano, it still has its own voice. When I listened to Pops' video, I could hear that midrange strong and clear. You don't get that on the soprano but do hear it on the Wow tenor. If you recall, Pops was making 8 prototypes and this was the last and 8th body to make it to the finish. I am glad you are happy with it. I sent your post off to Pops. I know that he will enjoy reading it. I look forward to your future posts because right now, you have the only Wow Concert in existence. I look forward to your exploration of the instrument.

"This instrument is everything I hoped for and more."

That's what I was hoping to see as I followed this thread. :)

I know that the ukulele just arrived yesterday so you haven't settled in with it yet, but I hope that it grows on you even more that it has already and brings you happiness for years to come.

Thanks for sharing this journey with us.

I know that the ukulele just arrived yesterday so you haven't settled in with it yet, but I hope that it grows on you even more that it has already and brings you happiness for years to come.
I'd love to continue reading updates throughout that process! It's been fun to follow this thread. Thanks for taking the time to post.

I would expect the KoAloha to be a bit more complex and woody sounding with the Wow Tenor being louder and a little more articulate (that attack again).
Is this mention of a Wow Tenor a typo, teaser, or real life? 🤔 If it's a typo, I think you should leave 'em because it shows the subconscious either stating how much the concert sounds like a tenor or urging the start of your next build! 😉

I enjoy your detailed write-ups. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the new uke!

Is this mention of a Wow Tenor a typo, teaser, or real life? 🤔 If it's a typo, I think you should leave 'em because it shows the subconscious either stating how much the concert sounds like a tenor or urging the start of your next build! 😉

I enjoy your detailed write-ups. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the new uke!
The first Tenor Wow was made for a UU member in May/June 2022. You can see some video here and there is a NUD

The first Tenor Wow was made for a UU member in May/June 2022. You can see some video here and there is a NUD
Aha! Yeah.. I'm going down the rabbithole now! I was just wasn't sure if @ailevin meant to compare to his concert in hand or the thought of a Wow tenor. 😁

I am the VERY HAPPY owner of that UKESA tenor Wow, as well as 2 soprano Wows (upgraded to the redesigned model). Now I'm the one imagining how the "middle sibling" must sound in comparison. Great combination of woods and master build!

It is slightly schizophrenic updating this thread and the NUD thread. I edited what I had already said here for most of the NUD prose describing the Concert Wow. I think I would like to post most of my follow ups here and basically only answer questions or fix errors in the NUD thread.

I didn't go into the issues with the various prototypes in the NUD, and I didn't inject the pukas into the NUD. There are hard to see even if you look for them, and they really didn't appear in any of the NUD photos. However, I did play around with lighting conditions until I could get the pukas and their shadows stand out as much as possible. I am going to show a close up picture of the spot that has the most pukas in close proximity. Note that I played the ukulele Friday night and through the weekend without noticing those pukas, even though they are right above the sound port that faces me while I play!
PopsConcertNUDPukas252580.jpg

I am definitely happy with my decision to have Pops ship my ukulele with its custom pukas. The Concert Wow looks and sounds gorgeous. The more I play it, the more it surprises me. Today it got a single black strap button.

not a problem unless you're trypophobic.
Sorry @ripock, I was not familiar with this phobia, the fear of irregular patterns of small holes or bumps. I apologize for any discomfort. Perhaps it is some small consolation that the pukas are more or less in a line along the glue/joint line of the koa ebony interface.

Well, I've had the Wow Concert for a week, and I am still amazed. I haven't had as much playing time as I would like because I had to get back in my practice groove for a lesson, and I decided to mostly stick to the tenor for practice last week. However, as I said in the NUD thread, Pops was right, this thing is a cannon. It isn't a tenor voice, but it punches like a tenor. The sustain on the A string combined with the KoAloha bell-like tone is just crazy. I was playing a Brahms Lullaby with my granddaughter playing the piano. She asked me if there was something like the sustain pedal on a ukulele. I told her, yes, with this ukulele if I keep my finger down in the fret it just keeps ringing.

I know it has only been a week, but I can't resist switching to a low G, just to see what I hear. I will report back.

I swapped out to a low G last night and I have been working it in. I don't know if it's just me, but a brand new string takes a while beyond just the issue of stretching and holding pitch. It's like the pitch is fuzzy or blurry as first so it is harder for me to pick out the pitch of the string. Maybe different parts of the string have to stretch and get to the same tension or something. All of this seem more of an issue as the tension of the string is reduced. By early this afternoon, the low G was still stretching a bit, but the pitch was becoming more true.

The Wow Soprano came with the low G installed, and it sounded nice, but there were a few challenges. The tone was a bit thin compared with the other strings and the low string tension caused more tuning and intonation issues for me than on any other string. When I switched to a high G, I felt like the instrument lit up. It sounded more traditional, more Hawaiian, more ukuleleish. I've kept the soprano in high G ever since.

With the Wow Concert in high G, the most logical sound comparison was with the Soprano Wow. In Low G, I've been comparing the Concert Wow with my KoAloha KTM00. First, they are both low G, and I have to use old notes or recollections to try to compare the soprano in low G to the concert. But in addition, as I've said before, the feel of the Concert Wow is more like the tenor. Finally, what I play and how I play is just different on a low G instrument.

My first impression is that the Concert Wow works very well in Low G. I am not having the tuning or intonation issues with low G on this instruments that I had on the soprano version. The KTM is a tough standard for comparison as far I am concerned, and the Concert Wow does not have the deep warm woody tone on the G string that the KTM produces. However, the G on the Concert Wow has a fullness of tone that is very consistent with the voice of the instrument on the other strings. It's not the tenor G, but it doesn't feel thin either. I love the balance of volume and tone accross the four strings in Low G. Also, the excellent articulation on the low G is kind of nice. It's hyperbole, but I feel like I have created a new instrument with this string change. It sounds a bit more classical and a little less like a ukulele, reminding me of a lute, or a classical guitar played in higher register, or a harpsichord. Maybe a better way to put it is that I am discovering things about this instrument with the string change that apply whether it is in high or low G. Probably it would be outstanding for campanella style in high G, though that is a moot point for me at this time. Since most of the arrangements we have are for low G, I am going to stay with this for a few weeks to see what I think.

We are going on a short road trip on Monday. I've decided to bring the Concert Wow and my wife has decided to bring the KoAloha KTM00, so we will be able to do more compare and contrast.

Last edited:
I will do a proper NUD, but I don't want to leave this thread hanging with my last brief post. Yesterday afternoon the package from UKESA arrived several days earlier than originally scheduled. I have torn into UPS before, but this time I have nothing but kudos. They delivered early, giving me the weekend with my new instrument. The package was in fine shape and they even delivered within their estimated time window.

The package included two hard cases, a KoAloha badged soprano case and an unbadged concert case with the Wow Concert inside. Both cases were very similar to Oahu cases in form and function, though the KoAloha branded case had some extra detailing (red stitching, soft handle).

When I opened the concert case, the ukulele looked so much like my soprano that it didn't look concert size. When I took it out to start tuning, the first thing that struck me was that it was more than the soprano in several respects--heavier, more string tension, more volume. As I got it in tune and played a few chords, I was immediately struck with the depth of the voice as much as the volume and sustain. I took out the soprano and spent most of the next hour comparing them in one way or another.

Before I continue this quick compare and contrast, I want to get something out of the way. I did not have the same love at first strum reaction to the concert that I had with the soprano. And by the way, I did not have that with my KoAloha tenor either, though it has become beloved, and I think of it as my best and most capable ukulele. While I want to accurately report this initial response, I don't want it to be either a criticism or a conclusion about the Wow Concert. It is more a statement about a very unique and special response to the Wow Soprano based on where I was in my ukulele journey when I first played it.

The Concert Wow sounds, feels, and plays like something from KoAlohaland. While the soprano and concert already look like siblings, your hands and ears know immediately that the KoAloha KTM00, and the two Wows come from the same family, both figuratively and literally. In general, the tonal characteristics of the concert are similar to the soprano; the tone is bell-like, very articulate, and well balanced across the strings. However, the voice of the concert is different. Not only is it bigger in the sense of volume and sustain, it is more full throated and tonally rich. I'm not a spectrum analyzer, but I think the tonal similarity is like having the same mix of harmonics, but difference in voice is due to enhancement of the mid-range. The difference in volume between the concert and soprano is more significant than the difference in sustain. Again, my nerdy analytical self sees that as more energy in those mid-range harmonics that the concert body amplifies and projects better. I also notice more change in tonal quality when I play at different volumes. In particular, more attack is possible depending on where and how I play the concert, so it is easier highlight a particular line in chord/melody. In this respect, the Concert Wow may be superior to the KoAloha KTM00. The concert maintains more of its volume and fullness of tone when played higher on the fretboard compared to the soprano. The concert sound is a grown up, more adult version of the soprano's child-like voice. It is a bit more guitar-like while the soprano is more ukuleleish. Comparing the sound to the tenor, the KTM00 voice is fuller, richer, louder, a bit more sustain, but you can tell that a Wow Concert would not "grow up" to sound like a KoAloha tenor. I would expect the KoAloha to be a bit more complex and woody sounding with the Wow Tenor being louder and a little more articulate (that attack again).

While the look and sound of the concert is more related to the soprano, the feel is closer to playing the KoAloha Tenor. The string tension and playability up the fretboard are much more tenor-like. Even though it is still a relatively light instrument at 451g, it just feels more subtantial in hand than the soprano at 354g. The action feels much more like the tenor as well, and it is easier to avoid unintentionally bending notes on the concert compared to the soprano. The slightly longer transition from the neck to the headstock compared with the soprano makes it very comfortable, and there is a bit more room for chords where I angle my wrist upward like Fm or F#dim. Playing the concert, I feel like I am playing a tenor with larger hands vs. playing a soprano with smaller hands if that makes any sense.

This morning I quickly brought my Anuenue C4 Concert (solid cedar top with laminate sides and back in high G) into the comparison. I think the C4 is a great sounding example in the $200-$300 new price range. It felt klunky (weight and action) and sounded muted compared with the Concert Wow. In fact, the Wow Soprano caught or surpassed it in volume.

This instrument is everything I hoped for and more.

I want to thank Ed, Pops, and the whole KoAloha family for submitting to this and being so open in sharing with us. I admitted to being a fanboy when I started, but I want to make it clear that there was no editorial pressure or influence from UKESA (Pops and Ed) or KoAloha. Except where I quoted directly, the words and all the mistakes/errors in prose and judgement are mine and mine alone.

Finally, I want to thank everyone who has participated here whether you posted or merely watched the thread evolve. Talk about active involvement--we even had a participant travel to Oahu, visit the shop, and put his stamp of approval, or at least some fingerprints on the Concert Wow. I appreciate the patience, the support, and all the great insights and experiences you shared. I am designating everyone who followed this thread as UU Aunties and UU Uncles of this new addition, and I am willing to discuss visitation rights if/when you are in Southern California.
I don’t think I’ve ever read a more thorough explanation of The concert’s place, tonally and otherwise, in between its siblings, the soprano and tenor. To those who complain that they see no need for a concert, that it’s neither fish nor fowl, yada yada, I’d point them to this. No other ukes will match these in all qualities, but you carefully address the reasons to have a concert. Thank you!

Just a quick thought about concerts in low G. I started with my Anuenue C4 concert in high G, switched to low G for a while, then went back to high G. I don't know if it was the string (Uke Logic smooth wound) or the instrument (cedar top with laminate back and sides), but the low G sounded thin yet too loud. Of course, it is also a matter of adjusting your playing, but I decided I liked it much better in high G. It is a nice instrument with its own unique sound all of our tenors were/are low G. I'm sure there are concert scale instruments just work better with either high G or low G and some that are just as happy either way.

We are in Las Vegas dodging the heat and keeping the ukuleles well humidified. I’ve had lots of playing time and I have been playing the Concert Wow the vast majority of the time.

I’m very happy with it in low G. The string has settled in and is holding tune. I still think my tenor is the more capable instrument, but I love the concert. The easier reaches in the lower portion of the fretboard more than make up for some crowding in the higher reaches where I play less. It is terrific for playing arpeggios and finger picking. The higher tension is an advantage relative to the soprano and the shorter scale is an advantage relative to the tenor. It is a bit of the Goldilocks case sometimes made for the concert. But I think it is the articulation of the instrument that makes it just right for this style of play.

The Concert Wow is extremely easy and comfortable to play. The past couple days I feel as if it takes less and less effort to play the concert and it feels very natural in my hands. While the tenor is more capable, I wonder if I am more capable on the concert. For the first time I can imagine it as my primary instrument. That just wasn’t the case a week ago. However, as I learned with the soprano, it is not a matter of figuring out this or that, but rather better understanding this and that. I am in the enviable position of having a soprano, a concert, and a tenor that call out to me, each in their own voice.

Last edited:
Well, I am slightly surprised, but my relationship to the Concert Wow has now gotten to the I can't put it down stage. I switched to switch low G about two weeks ago, and I've been playing the concert primarily though not quite exclusively for the past ten days. While I am still exploring possibilities, I am also really getting to know the instrument. The more I play it, the more I love it in low G. The added melodic range is well suited to what I enjoy playing on this instrument. However, the change in tonal balance is probably more important to me. The change to low G tames it's bashness a bit without giving up on volume and sustain. And as I said earlier, the low G on the concert doesn't sound as thin as it does on the soprano. It sounds very consistent with the overall voice of the instrument. I know that I am constantly doing comparisons, it is in my nature. Yet, the most important lesson from all this analysis is that like my other favorites, this instrument has its own very special voice and feel that call out to me and inspire me. This one is just a joy to play, and I am playing it a lot.

Pops was not kidding when he called this one a canon. Last night, my wife and I were practicing, and near the end of the session we switched instruments so that she was playing the Concert Wow and I was playing her Kamaka tenor. Both are strung low G; the Kamaka has Worth Clears; the Wow Concert has KoAloha flourocarbons. Don't get me wrong, that Kamaka koa sound is special and unique--the Wow Concert does not have that, nor does it have the low end response of a good tenor, but the Wow was louder and the sustain was at least on a par with the Kamaka! We were both kind of stunned, but playing them side by side it was quite obvious. I've also come to realize that the Concert Wow has really tremendous dynamic range. Either that or it is much easier for me to play the concert with a nice tone over a very wide dynamic range.

I would rather be an excellent player with a mediocre ukulele, but it's also true that I prefer playing an excellent instrument, even as a mediocre player. It reminds me of some useless words of wisdom that were a take off on Dave Barry:
"It is better to be rich and good looking than it is to be sick and unlucky."​

I'm neither rich nor good looking, and my health is not the best, but I am very lucky to have such wonderful instruments. If I had to describe them with a single word, I would call my Wow Soprano comforting, my Wow Concert comfortable, and my KoAloha tenor capable. Similarly chosing a single word to describe their voices, it would be sweet for the soprano, articulate for the concert and full for the tenor.

While UAS can distract from the journey of learning, improving, and making music, these three instruments from the Okami family have fired my enthusiasm and made the journey much more enjoyable. I also know from talking off line with others here at UU and speaking with a couple dealers of KoAloha instruments, that the Okamis are a very special family as was highlighted during the pandemic. I simply do not have to words to properly thank them for the joy that these instruments have brought me. The cherry on top of this Aloha Sundae is the relationship I've developed with Pops Okami. I really treasure that.

This seems like a reasonable point to end this thread. I am happy to respond to questions or comments, but I don't intend to keep an extended diary of the instrument here.

Top Bottom