Old to new Kamaka transition

EDW

Reaction score
There was some discussion in this thread about the older style Kamaka instruments, which were a bit more simple and folksy in their build. Aaron Keim also discussed this in a video about a repair he did. The newer ones look much more refined and are certainly world class. That is not to say that the old ones were bad. They have a particular charm and sound and play great.

What year did Kamaka change their builds to the more modern design?

Good thread! I was playing my 1950s Gold Label this morning, and I think the simplicity (and build, of course) makes it so light that it just rings! It has such a sweet island sound--chimmy and happy be with great note separation. In some things in life, simplicity is what is called for.

Last edited:
Good thread! I was playing my 1950s Gold Label this morning, and I think the simplicity (and build, of course) makes so light that it just rings! It has such a sweet island sound--chimmy and happy be with great note separation. In some things in life, simplicity is what is called for.
I'm with you, Rich -- while the newer Kamakas are wonderful, world-class instruments, they're noticeably more heavily built than the gold and white labels, and produce a different sound.

I'm with you, Rich -- while the newer Kamakas are wonderful, world-class instruments, they're noticeably more heavily built than the gold and white labels, and produce a different sound.
Thank you for posting this! It would be interesting to see the difference in their early vs newer custom builds. I love those 70's Ohta-Sans with the spruce tops!

Thank you for posting this! It would be interesting to see the difference in their early vs newer custom builds. I love those 70's Ohta-Sans with the spruce tops!
Not sure I’ve heard an older Ohta San model… but yes, a side by side video would be pretty great.

I think that Kamaka ukes have changed slowly and gradually in their 100+ year history. It will be difficult to divide into old and new concepts, but may make more sense to highlight key features of distinct periods for comparison. For example, the recent change to bolt on necks may represent the beginning of a new era.

I am not much for recording and such, but I an tell you that I have had two nearer (last 10 years) Kamaka HF-1 sopranos, and there were lovely, well made, great sounding instruments. That said, I did not love them, and sold both. They were too "pretty" sounding without being happy, fun, and campy sounding like the older ones. They were, objectively, better made, higher quality instruments. Or at least, more refined, with far better attention to detail. However, and only to me, they may have engineered a bit of the magic out of them. Again, totally not an objective view

I am not much for recording and such, but I an tell you that I have had two nearer (last 10 years) Kamaka HF-1 sopranos, and there were lovely, well made, great sounding instruments. That said, I did not love them, and sold both. They were too "pretty" sounding without being happy, fun, and campy sounding like the older ones. They were, objectively, better made, higher quality instruments. Or at least, more refined, with far better attention to detail. However, and only to me, they may have engineered a bit of the magic out of them. Again, totally not an objective view
Yes, it certainly seems that their latest iterations are much more modern and refined. That is not to say that they are good or bad, merely different. There is something really cool about the gold label and white label models. They are light and very resonant. Besides the changes in construction, one noticeable thing is that many of the older ones are a fairly plain pale koa while newer ones often are much fancier and higher grade wood.

You can compare the clips and pics of two similar instruments-

Yes, it certainly seems that their latest iterations are much more modern and refined. That is not to say that they are good or bad, merely different. There is something really cool about the gold label and white label models. They are light and very resonant. Besides the changes in construction, one noticeable thing is that many of the older ones are a fairly plain pale koa while newer ones often are much fancier and higher grade wood.
I think that the perception of what is higher grade wood has changed over time. Historically, the plain and less figured wood was considered better for tone and durability due to its homogeneity, and figured woods were often sorted out and disposed off. It is only in more recent decades that figured wood was considered "pretty" by many people and upgraded to higher value due to esthetics.

I recently had a chance to compare a HF-1 white label to a 2022 .
Not even close ; much preferred the 2022 .

I think that the perception of what is higher grade wood has changed over time. Historically, the plain and less figured wood was considered better for tone and durability due to its homogeneity, and figured woods were often sorted out and disposed off. It is only in more recent decades that figured wood was considered "pretty" by many people and upgraded to higher value due to esthetics.
Yes, I had been told that same thing by a top notch luthier. He said that in his opinion, the very plain Koa often sounded better, but that many players preferred the look of the highly figured woods

I noticed that some Kamakas (mostly newer models) have 3 pearl dots on the bridge. I assume those cover screws, to hold the bridge on, in addition to glue, is that right? I've also seen a few older ones like that.
I don’t know about Kamaka ukes, but on acoustic guitars that’s what the pearl dots were originally for. Some now have them just as decoration to mimic the look.

Though 3 bolts seems massive overkill for a uke bridge.

Last edited:
Reactions: EDW
That's what Martin did on their guitars and had to gradually undo because people were PISSED. Here I am thinking my modern HF-1 is feather light. But since this tropical beauty lives in the great white north, a little more buildedness isn't too bad.

I am not much for recording and such, but I an tell you that I have had two nearer (last 10 years) Kamaka HF-1 sopranos, and there were lovely, well made, great sounding instruments. That said, I did not love them, and sold both. They were too "pretty" sounding without being happy, fun, and campy sounding like the older ones. They were, objectively, better made, higher quality instruments. Or at least, more refined, with far better attention to detail. However, and only to me, they may have engineered a bit of the magic out of them. Again, totally not an objective vi
That's what Martin did on their guitars and had to gradually undo because people were PISSED. Here I am thinking my modern HF-1 is feather light. But since this tropical beauty lives in the great white north, a little more buildedness isn't too bad.
I love the modern HF-1. While the sound is more refined than the gold and white label standard models, IMO, the modern HF-1 just sounds like Hawaii to me, for whatever the heck that means…

If the HF-1 had a tie bridge instead of the slot bridge, I’d still have mine…

If the HF-1 had a tie bridge instead of the slot bridge, I’d still have mine…
This is why I had a special order HF-2 made, with a tie bridge!

Top Bottom