Old Kamaka ukulele

So many of the old ukes were bought as mementoes visiting Hawaii; taken home, played a few times and put away for decades. I have little doubt your K will come out better than it was new. Dang and in just two or three weeks. Once you find a good tech or luthier and develop a report with them; they become like treasured gold.

I have custom built and vintage guitars and ukes. My 1912 vintage 00 Bruno guitar is especially treasured. There are times when playing it, a riff or rhythm will come out that I've never played before. I always smile and think it's one of the previous owners coming out to play. I've been playing 63 years and seems this mostly happens with just my old well played instruments. Perhaps some day the next owner will feel my input into the instrument and smile like I did.

May your Kamaka bring joy and smiles knowing you brought it back to life after so many years languishing waiting for you to rescue it.

I watched a great PBS doc recently. The Kamaka bros admit that there were times back then when they just shut down the shop if the surf was really good, and their dad would bust them. One of then said the ukes they are making today are better than what he could have made.
Not to be overly cynical, but I cannot imagine them saying that the old instruments were great and today we can't make them nearly as good! 😁

Not to be overly cynical, but I cannot imagine them saying that the old instruments were great and today we can't make them nearly as good! 😁
I was thinking the same thing...while I'm sure it's true that today's instruments are indeed better, I can't imagine them saying otherwise.

I was thinking the same thing...while I'm sure it's true that today's instruments are indeed better, I can't imagine them saying otherwise.
Yeah someone mentioned Martin earlier where their pre war guitars now command astronomical sums. Possibly because before the war they focused on building great guitars, and after the war priorities shifted to making the instruments more durable to reduce warranty claims and to cutting costs and finding efficiencies. Unfortunately it is also common practice for Uke builders to find efficiencies that cut production cost, but market the changes as "improvements".

Yeah someone mentioned Martin earlier where their pre war guitars now command astronomical sums. Possibly because before the war they focused on building great guitars, and after the war priorities shifted to making the instruments more durable to reduce warranty claims and to cutting costs and finding efficiencies. Unfortunately it is also common practice for Uke builders to find efficiencies that cut production cost, but market the changes as "improvements".
Like bolt on necks? 😆

I can see makers wanting to increase the top thickness to avoid cracking, dipping and increasing durability, but creating differences in sound and response

So many of the old ukes were bought as mementoes visiting Hawaii; taken home, played a few times and put away for decades. I have little doubt your K will come out better than it was new. Dang and in just two or three weeks. Once you find a good tech or luthier and develop a report with them; they become like treasured gold.

I have custom built and vintage guitars and ukes. My 1912 vintage 00 Bruno guitar is especially treasured. There are times when playing it, a riff or rhythm will come out that I've never played before. I always smile and think it's one of the previous owners coming out to play. I've been playing 63 years and seems this mostly happens with just my old well played instruments. Perhaps some day the next owner will feel my input into the instrument and smile like I did.

May your Kamaka bring joy and smiles knowing you brought it back to life after so many years languishing waiting for you to rescue it.
"Previous owners coming out to play". I'm a firm believer in human energy! I recently purchased a Kamaka soprano white label uke similar to OP's acquisition. Original black/brown strings and friction tuners that tend to slip; the original owner's parent did indeed buy it for him whilst on holiday in Hawaii and he didn't like it!

My "new" old kamaka really resonates and I'm following the good advice I received here in UU: it's not going to be my daily player so I'll change the strings (and keep them) but keep the original tuners in place and tune as needed.

I will say one thing, this little kamaka soprano has made me appreciate koa and the kamaka brand in general. I have too many ukes for one person but I think a kamaka tenor is in my future.

Thanks for all the feedback. I hope to use this Kamaka as one of my regular players so I went ahead and asked the luthier to put Gotoh Planetaries on it. But I'll hang onto the original friction tuners as well. And I've already gotten my hands on some new Kamaka strings to replace the several-decades-old Kamaka strings that were on it when I found it. I was sort of amazed that they still played alright, and it will be interesting to see how much the sound changes (or doesn't) when I put the new strings on it.

New strings should be awful but after they settle it will be awesome
Hah yes! Exactly this. New strings are always a bit annoying because I just want to PLAY using them, and it takes soooooo looooong (not really, but it feels like that) before they stop detuning constantly.

"Previous owners coming out to play". I'm a firm believer in human energy!
Yes! This is the big reason I couldn't resist my vintage Kamaka employee model... just imagining the story of who might've built it and the elevated attention to detail, love, and care they must've put into it... then who might've played it afterwards.

In a recent Ukulele Friend video where Aaron Keim played one of the first ukes, they mentioned that he'd be playing a song that was never played on it. I now think about the music that my uke is getting to play for the first time. I also think of how many C chords have probably been played on the thing in half a century.

Sure, I have many ukes that sound better than my old Kamaka, but I don't think any have the spirit, story, or personality (except maybe my vintage national reso?.. different stories for sure!!)

Hello,

1. Regarding the tuners.
Don't touch 'em. They do need a bit getting used to but they work just fine and pro players from yesterday were using them all the time.
Drilling holes would be a SHAME. That includes planetary tuners (UPT), which need the holes enlarged to 9 or 10 mm (don't remember exactly).

2. Regarding the cracks.
They could be easily fixed by someone with the skills. First, I would try to determine whether it was glued up with hide glue or white glue.
If hide glue was used, I would ask a luthier used to using this type of adhesive to do the work. It could be your local violin luthier.

Please keep in mind it's a vintage piece with a life of its own. If you don't like it or don't feel like paying the right guy to make it play, pass it along to someone who'll appreciate it for what it is.
I'm pretty sure the existing tuners are affixed through holes in the headstock!

I'm surprised you are recommending repair, wouldn't that be a shame to change the vintage nature of the uke with new glue?

;)

Yes! This is the big reason I couldn't resist my vintage Kamaka employee model... just imagining the story of who might've built it and the elevated attention to detail, love, and care they must've put into it... then who might've played it afterwards.

In a recent Ukulele Friend video where Aaron Keim played one of the first ukes, they mentioned that he'd be playing a song that was never played on it. I now think about the music that my uke is getting to play for the first time. I also think of how many C chords have probably been played on the thing in half a century.

Sure, I have many ukes that sound better than my old Kamaka, but I don't think any have the spirit, story, or personality (except maybe my vintage national reso?.. different stories for sure!!)
This one looks like it did not get a lot of play. I found a white label Liliu in a Waikiki uke store where the whole fret board was worn and discoloured. The owner said it was turned in by the grandson of the original owner who had passed away. That sure is a lot of mojo and suggests a Hula virtuoso who performed for decades. I would love to learn who it was.

Top Bottom