New guy.

devellis

Reaction score
I've been becoming more and more interested in ukulele lately and decided to join this forum. I've used the forum before as a resource and decided it was time to jump in as a member. I know I'll continue to learn a lot from all of you.

I've been exploring hybrid instruments of late. I purchased a Deering Goodtime banjo uke a few weeks ago and just today ordered a Sound Smith resonator uke. I've played other ukes, other banjos, and other resonator instruments before but these two hybrids are firsts for me. I'm pleased with the quality of the banjo uke and expect to be similarly pleased with the reso.

I'm considering swapping the cone on the Sound Smith for a National cone. If anyone has any experience that's relevant, I'd appreciate your thoughts and/or a point to where I might find more information. I'm aware of the delicacy of resonator cones and the need for careful handling (like gradually changing tension from string to string rather than takng some off while others are still tuned to pitch) but I suspect there may be other stuff about a swap that I don't know or fully appreciate. Guidance would be most appreciated.

Welcome to the UU forums! There are many people here with lots of experience and knowledge that are willing to share what they know. You may have better luck in the Uke Tech Support or Uke Talk but people have been pretty good at noticing questions in the new intro section lately too. I hope you get some help soon!

Hi and welcome to UU! It's fun and I've learned a lot. And no one here will discourage you from acquiring a good ukulele!

Welcome to UU, devellis, and a warm hello from Chicago!

Welcome to UU, devellis!
I have never seen a resonator in real life (and not banjo ukes either). Still, there are several UU members who know a lot about them, so I'm sure you'll find advice or guidance from those in the know!

Hi devellis, welcome to the UU Forum.

I like my Deering Tenor Goodtime banjolele aka banjo uke. It's very loud but fun to play. I did get some dirty looks from other players at my uke club when I jammed with it. I muffled it a bit with a lint free cloth I had in my music bag.

I don't have my SoundSmith reso any more. It was a nice concert. I'm afraid I never replaced the cone. I just played it. I now have a MyaMoe tenor reso that uses a National cone. And that's the extent of my knowledge.

Enjoy your ukes. They are a lot of fun.

Top Bottom