The new guy

Dynasonic0462

Reaction score
Hello everyone! My name is Jeff and I’m from Tennessee. I became interested in the ukulele completely by accident. In the early 1990s I was asked by the owner of the local music store to retrieve something from his office. While in his office I noticed several small vintage cases neatly stacked against the wall. Out of curiosity I asked and he told me that they were vintage ukuleles and that I should check them out. His office was off limits to customers so obviously I felt honored. I found myself going to his office once or twice a week to look at what I found out to be several Martin and a couple Gibson ukuleles. The music store had been family owned since the late 50s but ended closing when internet sales flourished. Like has been said “out of sight out of mind” I didn’t give the ukulele another thought until around 2021. I stumbled upon Jake playing his ukulele. Prior to that like some many others I only associated the ukulele with Tiny Tim. No disrespect directed towards him whatsoever but hearing that reopened my interest in the instrument. At that point I had only held and looked at the vintage ukuleles from the music store. This same store didn’t stock playable ukuleles and the owner would take the vintage Martins and Gibsons on trade and hoard them away. I think he looked at them as an investment and didn’t even put strings on any of them much less play them. That same year I purchased an inexpensive solid acacia long neck soprano. It needed some attention. Frets were sharp etc. but playing that ukulele really brought me so much joy. I have since purchased a vintage Martin. I like concerts but seem to gravitate toward the sopranos I’m sure due to my past experience and fond memories of that family owned music store. Thanks for allowing me to be a member of this forum. I am finding that musicians that play the ukulele tend to be nice people. I do apologize for the long introduction.

Welcome Jeff, glad you're here. Local music stores are the best! 👌
Fortunately, mine (which opened in 1972 and I started frequenting in 1974) (Elderly Instruments in Lansing, Michigan) flourished after the internet sales got big. They still do a ton of in-store sales too.
Loved your intro; you are right, musicians that play the ukulele tend to be nice people! 👍

Thanks so much for taking the time to give us such a great intro to your ukulele background. It's good to have you aboard. Lots of folks here are fans and/or collectors of vintage ukes, so I'm sure you're in good company! Welcome to the UU forums 😊

Neat story! I picked up my first last year on a visit to Hawaii, and I'm infatuated with the instrument now. Having a ball learning playing, songs, strumming and fingerpicking on this lovely little instrument!!!

Top Bottom