Nail wear

tonyg

Reaction score
As a follow up to my first post, I was wondering if this nail wear is normal? Doesn’t bother me……..probably the wound strings.

Attachments

• IMG_5296.jpeg
    IMG_5296.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 5
Is index finger nail wear normal? It's not really an issue......just wondering. Could the wound D and G strings be the reason? Thanks.......

A number of us suffer from weak and brittle nails, and then add in playing a lot and we do get nail wear.
I go to my local nail salon and have the ladies reinforce my nails with acrylic which they paint on.
It's not expensive. In Australia where I am the standard price is $5 per nail and I get 4 nails done (thumb and 3 fingers on one hand).
Some guys don't want to go into the salon and want to do it themselves. Painting the reinforcement on the first time to a clean nail isn't that hard, yet renewing or replacing them takes some knowledge, skill and equipment.
Let the ladies at the salon do it.

See now, I thought this thread was gonna be about to wear on our nails. :ROFLMAO:

Is index finger nail wear normal? It's not really an issue......just wondering. Could the wound D and G strings be the reason?

Yes to both! You'll find lots and lots of threads here about nail care here, including suggestions to favor your finger pads over your nails (my current approach), supplementing with biotin to harden your nails (takes a few months but TOTALLY WORKS, and I'm doing that too), Sally Hansen Diamond Nails, and more.

I'm also never going to pass up a perfectly reasonable excuse to post James Taylor's video on his nail care routine (and hey, it's been 21 months since the last time I posted it! We're overdue!), the second video he posted to YouTube back in the day. It's jam packed with great information, but also hilarious and heartwarming and completely adorable. You will love him even more after watching this video, and trust me, his routine for playing nothing but wound and/or steel strings with his nails WILL cover you for any kind of ukulele playing, no doubt about it!

It happened the last time I went bowling. Ripped my carefully manicured nails right off. It never happens when playing, even with wound strings. I just use a couple mm of nail and angle them towards the pinky. They aren’t very exposed that way. Your nails may be more brittle than mine, but the shaping may help.
IMG_1068.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom