Acquired Martin (or other) Soprano Ukulele - under $500

Price
Under $500
Shipping
included
Size
Soprano
I have not played the 1K, but have previously owned an S1. Yes, they do have the Martin name, but they really bear no resemblance to the vintage ones. In my experience, the sound, feel and looks all pale compared to the earlier ones. IF I wanted the classic Martin soprano uke, I would wait for the right one to come along at my price.

Just my two cents.....

I was replying to a question about the Martin S1K (koa) which is different from the Martin S1 (mahogany). I do not know why they would use different neck shapes for the 2 instruments or if the specs on the website are accurate.
Apologies, I was focused on mahogany because that was in-line with the original post and I didn’t read back up the thread.

S1K specs are indeed different. but whether that’s an error or not I don’t know. 🤷

If I were to buy a $500 "soprano" for myself, I would get a Millar mango longneck soprano with hard case for $499. In stock now at TUS. It will give me a sweeter sound than the old Martin mahogany sopranos, but that is what I prefer.

Last edited:
Since you mention Kiwaya in the original post, this one looks and sound great for the price (equivalent of around US$340). I don't know where you could buy it in the USA, though. The "Famous" brand is what Kiwaya uses for instruments that are sold in Japan.

Since you mention Kiwaya in the original post, this one looks and sound great for the price (equivalent of around US$340). I don't know where you could buy it in the USA, though. The "Famous" brand is what Kiwaya uses for instruments that are sold in Japan.

That Famous is a new model to me, and the video is only 10 days old. Looks like it has 14 frets to body, wonder if it's a longneck? It also seems to have the old style Famous headstock logo.

Edit: looks like a new model, from new Hybrid Series. 14 frets to body, but not designated as longneck (concert scale). Says 351mm scale which is 13.8" scale, using the older Famous logo.

I know Famous is for the domestic Japan market, but for the life of me don't understand why they don't invest a few dollars in editing/ proofreading, their description is almost comical:

Screenshot_20240423_171029_Chrome.png
"The rich sound unique to plywood"...I love it! 😀

Last edited:
they are probably all going to devalue other than the vintage and pre-owned ones... keep your $500 as safe as you can.
Especial bargains when they don't want to ship whatsoever and will end up going cheap - but you could get something picked up and transfer the risk. Not suggesting UK is sensible place for you to look though. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296352063221?

Thanks so much for all of the responses, you all are awesome!

How about the Brad Donaldson Koa Soprano listed here?

Here are two nice luthier options from Rob Collins (Tinguitar) in the UK, coming in at $365 which should allow for shipping to the USA.
Those new reclaimed Meranti models are right on the mark if you are in UK or nearby. Utterly serviceable and utiltarian, but both quite delightful in shape.

I hope that you found something, and that the thread wasn’t going off in a direction unhelpful to you.

Whatever the outcome I feel sure that folk here on UU wish you well.

Thanks so much Graham! This board has always been a gift to me over the years. I am very thankful for each of you!

what did you get?

I’ve not had the chance to play one of them, but I do own a Timms Style 0 replica, and @bazmaz has said he rates his Collins above the Timms.
Did I?? Other way around! The Timms got one of the highest scores I ever gave to a ukulele on review

Amen. Love the FU-120P (pineapple)

Top Bottom