Price
Under $500
Shipping
included
Size
Soprano

mingus

Reaction score
Well, my anniversary is coming up, and my wife is willing to buy me a soprano for UNDER $500.

Anybody have a vintage style 0 they would be will to part with for that price?

(Honestly, open to any soprano - especially Martin copies like Kiwaya/Luna)

Last edited:
Here is a nice one

Here is a nice one

Yep, tried that one, but my wife has firm price parameters. Has to be under $500!

Yep, tried that one, but my wife has firm price parameters. Has to be under $500!
That's a nice gift from your wife! The price has dropped from $650 to $500. Not sure how recently. Free shipping.
By firmly under $500 do you mean $499 is okay? I'll mail her a buck to make up the difference. ;)

It is currently listed at 500. Maybe you can make an offer and get a few bucks off. It has been on there for a while. I believe I first saw that listed there in January

Last edited:
Reactions: JDP
It is currently listed at 500. Maybe you can make an offer and get a few bucks off. It has been on there for a while. I believe I first saw that listed there in January

I actually offered $475, and the owner rejected my offer.

I need to keep it under $500 total. Once tax is calculated, I’d be looking at $550.

Maybe check on this one

Well, my anniversary is coming up, and my wife is willing to buy me a soprano for UNDER $500.

Anybody have a vintage style 0 they would be will to part with for that price?

(Honestly, open to any soprano - especially Martin copies like Kiwaya/Luna)

I suspect that even in the USA you’ll struggle to get a vintage Martin at that price (before sales tax of about $460?) but as you‘re open to other things then it’s a puzzle as to why you haven’t been deluged with sensible offers. What’s the price of a new S1 in the USA, the Ohana SK38 is well liked and what would say Bradford Donaldson charge you for a plain Martin clone? IIRC he once was very competitive, but maybe he’s battling rising costs now or focused on more expensive instruments.

Just some thoughts that I hope are helpful.

Last edited:
Here are two nice luthier options from Rob Collins (Tinguitar) in the UK, coming in at $365 which should allow for shipping to the USA.

Here are two nice luthier options from Rob Collins (Tinguitar) in the UK, coming in at $365 which should allow for shipping to the USA.
I’ve not had the chance to play one of them, but I do own a Timms Style 0 replica, and @bazmaz has said he rates his Collins above the Timms.

This one on eBay for $395, offered by Lucy's Ukes, a well regarded dealer, I've gotten lots of strings there.

This one on eBay for $395, offered by Lucy's Ukes, a well regarded dealer, I've gotten lots of strings there.

Looks like a good deal. I have also had positive experience with that seller. I believe it is also on Reverb

Here you go… Martin S1K solid Koa Soprano at $499 or best offer with free shipping. I would absolutely jump on this one!

Scooter

Here you go… Martin S1K solid Koa Soprano at $499 or best offer with free shipping. I would absolutely jump on this one!

Scooter
Those specs say 34.1mm nut width, which surprised me, since most modern Martin sops I've seen are 36mm.

Those specs say 34.1mm nut width, which surprised me, since most modern Martin sops I've seen are 36mm.
The Martin website says the nut width is 1 11/32", which is 34.1mm. I have never played one, so cannot verify. I agree that other modern Martin sopranos are usually 36mm.

The Martin website says the nut width is 1 11/32", which is 34.1mm. I have never played one, so cannot verify. I agree that other modern Martin sopranos are usually 36mm.
I think that you might have misread, try 1&13/32”.

I also note the price of $399 … several new ones available on eBay at around that price including delivery.

Last edited:
I think that you might have misread, try 1&13/32”.

I also note the price of $399 … wonder about that.
I was replying to a question about the Martin S1K (koa) which is different from the Martin S1 (mahogany). I do not know why they would use different neck shapes for the 2 instruments or if the specs on the website are accurate.

Top Bottom