Looking for a tenor, mango?

ppalma00

Reaction score
Hi all,
Newbie in the world of ukes. I have a mahogany soprano and a spruce / mahogany (Anuenue UC10) concert.
I want to buy a tenor (ukulele acquisition syndrome, lol) and I have been for some weeks trying to learn from the vast set of reviews, videos, etc.
I know I want a warm, deep sound, to play alone, to feel the fingerpicking and also a bit of strumming, solid wood, not bright (for that I already have the spruce).
I have seen at Youtube Millar and Pono ukes in several woods (acacia, mahogany, cedar, mango), also the Anuenue (AMM3).
For the Millar I see the negative point of the nut widht (35mm), although I am not am expert to know if it will affect to me (but most experienced players always look for the nut width, so, it must be important).

I have seen some thread on mango wood as one of the most close to the sound of koa, and at the same time, warm and deep.

My budget is 400-600€.

What would be in your opinion a good choice? going for the 'classic' mahogany to go safe or mago worthies a try? (assuming that acacia is in the bright side, isn't it?).

Many thanks for your help and patience with new users like me. Your help is unvaluable for those who cannot take a uke in a local store to evaluate and not being able to accumulate too many at home until finding the right one.
Pedro

I really love my acacia Pono (AT_CR) tenor- I'm sure Koa is superior, but hey: Koa is just another acacia, in the end! :devilish:

Yes, my Pono is on the bright side, and the cedar top makes it even more so... but I like it.

A have a mahogany Pono Baritone as well, so I can get that more deep guitar like sound when I want that, as well.

Mango seems to be all the rage right now, but maybe it's just a fad? We'll see... those mango Rebels seem to be all the rage here on these boards right now... I'm sure they a great as well, but I haven't heard one yet.

Have fun hunting your next uke!

A Rebel Mango Tenor Double Creme / Matte 1-Series is a great choice. I paid $780 new for mine in 2021. It was $100 less than the spalted mango, high gloss version. There have been several used ones that have come and gone in the Marketplace.

Another good choice is the Romero Creations Spalted Mango Replica (Signature) Tenor. It has an even deeper voice than the Rebel. It was designed to be used with a Low-G string. Used ones sometimes come up for sale.

The Pono MGT is pretty good as well. I don't think it was quite as warm as the Rebel. Sounded deep and rich with a Low-G string, but not as resonate as the Rebel or Romero.

No one will ever claim their uke is NOT 'warm'. It could be the tinniest koa/spruce/carbon plastic with the thinnest strings and they will still say something like: "brilliant clear highs" BUT BALANCED AND WARM. Always. It's just so ingrained now.

Cedar and mahogany are known to accent lower frequencies / attenuate higher ones.

But if you really want a uke because you want it, with strings and psychology, you can make any uke you truly desire sound warm to you.

Gotta check this link out. HMS: both Corey and Kalei play an extensive sound sample and lots of comments on the various 'sounds' they pick up. One of the longer sound samples for a mid-price range uke... Mango delux from Pono. I have the (non-delux) Concert size and love the sound. Good price and they are including an Oahu hard case!

Gotta check this link out. HMS: both Corey and Kalei play an extensive sound sample and lots of comments on the various 'sounds' they pick up. One of the longer sound samples for a mid-price range uke... Mango delux from Pono. I have the (non-delux) Concert size and love the sound. Good price and they are including an Oahu hard case!

I got the non-gloss MGT around the holidays. I like it more and more and play it most days.

Kenn2018's suggestions are very good ones for mangos. I love both Rebel and Romero (and fond of Pono), and I think you'd be happy with either one of those. I just wanted to add that the AMM3 you mention is a very, very nice tenor, and not your typical mahogany-sounding uke (meaning quieter}. I love mine, and when it was retailing for $599 it was probably the best solid wood tenor buy out there. I have mangos, koas, spruce and rosewood, acacia. The AMM3 is rich and resonant, and has nice overtones, It's easy to play, and sounds especially nice fingerpicked. They make a koa AKK3, but it's above your price range.

Last edited:
Kenn2018's suggestions are very good ones for mangos. I love both Rebel and Romero (and fond of Pono), and I think you'd be happy with either one of those. I just wanted to add that the AMM3 you mention is a very, very nice tenor, and not your typical mahogany-sounding uke (meaning quieter}. I love mine, and when it was retailing for $599 it was probably the best solid wood tenor buy out there. I have mangos, koas, spruce and rosewood, acacia. The AMM3 is rich and resonant, and has nice overtones, It's easy to play, and sounds especially nice fingerpicked.
Many thanks for answering. Rebel and Romero are out of my reach considering the price and opportunities to get second hand at Spain are not common for these 'special' instruments...

AMM3 was my first candidate but then I came across Pono and Millar and then variations on the wood (mahogany/mango/acacia mainly) then I made a mess.... I will re-consider the AMM3 as it has a lot of good opinions out there, and maybe return to mahogany option as a safe bet, even more considering that it will be my first tenor (I have a soprano mahogany Mahi Mahi and a concert Anuenue UC10 with spruce on top, brighter than expected, at least with the strings from factory).

AMM3 better then than the well known Millar / Pono solid mahogany versions?

Thanks again for your help!

Based on your preferences, I would suggest looking into tenor ukuleles made of mahogany or mango wood.

Mahogany is a classic tonewood that is known for producing a warm and rich sound. It's a safe choice that can offer a deep, resonant tone that is well-suited for fingerpicking and strumming.

Mango wood is also a great option that is becoming increasingly popular among ukulele players. It has a similar warm and deep sound to koa wood, but at a more affordable price point. Mango wood can also produce a slightly brighter sound than mahogany, but it's not as bright as acacia wood.

In terms of brands, Pono and Kanile'a are both reputable brands that produce high-quality ukuleles in your price range. The Pono Mahogany Tenor (MT) and the Kanile'a Islander MT-4 are both great options to consider.

Ultimately, it's important to play and listen to as many ukuleles as possible to find the one that speaks to you the most. If possible, try to visit a local music store to try out different tenor ukuleles and see which one feels and sounds best to you.

Kenn2018's suggestions are very good ones for mangos. I love both Rebel and Romero (and fond of Pono), and I think you'd be happy with either one of those. I just wanted to add that the AMM3 you mention is a very, very nice tenor, and not your typical mahogany-sounding uke (meaning quieter}. I love mine, and when it was retailing for $599 it was probably the best solid wood tenor buy out there. I have mangos, koas, spruce and rosewood, acacia. The AMM3 is rich and resonant, and has nice overtones, It's easy to play, and sounds especially nice fingerpicked. They make a koa AKK3, but it's above your price range.
AMM3 all solid african mahogany is divine with low g, rich and warm and a pleasure to play. I own a Millar solid wood cedar/pau ferro and it is bright and a bit quiet, but an absolute delight to play; the quality is extraordinary. Too, I also have a UC-10 and it currently has worth browns on. Bright and crashy bangy as ever!

TUS has Pono master series tenors (mango btw!) that scream "here I am, you know you want to play me!"

I had a Mango Pono Deluxe Tenor and sold it, one I could have easily hung on to. Excellent sounding uke. Great choice in your price range.

I have a Mango KoAloha and it is really really nice - above your budget, but if you put your hands on one you may want to cut back on the groceries and save up for one. LOL

I'd recommend the Mango Pono to you Pedro. It fits your criteria and I think you would enjoy it. Its a great choice for a Mango Tenor.

Have you also listened to sound samples of AMM3? Can you tell the differences between Mango and Mahogany? Maybe try to articulate what you hear of the two and both their qualities.

I know Steve Warren uses an AMM3. Is this the sound you are looking for?
sample:

I'm also happy to own and play an AMM3 and can confirm everyting said above. I also have the cedar & koa birds from Anuenue, and the AMM3 is made just as impeccably well (it is made by the same team of luthiers after all).

The voice though, beautiful as it is, I would say, is very different to my mango Rebel double creme. Where the AMM3 is clear and precise, the Rebel is super warm and mellow. Words don't do it justice, I suggest you listen to HMS sound samples. From what you have written it seems to me you might be more interested in the sound of the latter. So if you can stretch your buget a little the Rebel is certainly worth it. With a little luck and patience you might even find used one in the EU on the marketplace.

I'm also happy to own and play an AMM3 and can confirm everyting said above. I also have the cedar & koa birds from Anuenue, and the AMM3 is made just as impeccably well (it is made by the same team of luthiers after all).

The voice though, beautiful as it is, I would say, is very different to my mango Rebel double creme. Where the AMM3 is clear and precise, the Rebel is super warm and mellow. Words don't do it justice, I suggest you listen to HMS sound samples. From what you have written it seems to me you might be more interested in the sound of the latter. So if you can stretch your buget a little the Rebel is certainly worth it. With a little luck and patience you might even find used one in the EU on the marketplace.
I'm intensely interested in the aNueNue koa soprano, it's simply currently above my budget for the present. What's your opinion on the koa bird vs cedar bird?

To add another option, and one that is not in the US, UK-based luthier Rob Collins has just listed two tenors on his website. One is spruce topped which is presumably not of interest to you, but the other is in solid sapele (which I believe is a mahogany substitute?). it would come in at about €670 so not too far out of your budget.

His instruments are highly rated by many and it's a good price for a luthier built tenor.

Check it out here

Top Bottom