Looking for a recommendation for a loud tenor ukulele.

Putts

Reaction score
Hiya! I teach beginner uke in my area and have been playing for about 25 years with an emphasis on jazz. I attend a couple of group song playing sessions around town. I want to do my best to support the group playing quality and feel that helping establish a solid rhythm is my spot. But I don't want to just play 4 strums per bar, I like to use my up and down the neck chord playing skills with a rhythmic drive that adds to creating the right flavor for the tune. I don't, however, want to be the focus of attention; I'd rather make a solid base for others to play along with so they feel they're adding what they can without being overshadowed.

Initially, I thought getting a baritone uke would be a good option because as I play up the neck I can remain in the same register as the other ukes and wouldn't stick out as much. But I found (I bought a Pono Mater Series Nui Baritone...which I love) that it was simply too mellow to be heard clearly and I felt like it didn't help others keep on track as much as I felt I could. So, I went back to my tenor and play as strongly as I can while staying tightly in the groove of the song and not doing anything fancy. I play my downstrokes with the nails on the back of my middle and ring finger, and my upstrokes with my thumb. So It's pretty loud. I also tried high-tension Uke Logic fluorocarbon strings with a wound G (low) and C string. I felt the high-tension strings were choking off the sound of my good uke (a very fine Kawika custom tenor by David Hurd) so I went back to low-tension strings and love the sound quality, but it's still not loud. And with this uke I'd like to remain focused on sound quality, and not try and make it into a loud uke at the expense of it's beautiful sound.

As a separate point of reference, I have an old Applause soprano uke, and with fluorocarbon strings, it's blazingly loud. But it just doesn't work for me when playing in a group setting and trying to get up the neck. It's just too crowded for me...and I want the richness of a low-G and a larger body.

So, I'm looking for a blisteringly loud tenor (I can always play softer) in the $500-$1000 range. I know a banjolele would be as sound canon, but I wouldn't be able to blend in. Same, though less so I suppose, for a resonator. I do have a Godin electric solid body, but I don't want to amplify. I also have an Ohana 8-string tenor, which does help some if I play my chords down low, but tends to sound congested when I go up the neck.

Anybody have any recommendations for a loud, low-G tenor?

Last edited:
A Koaloha tenor would fit the bill. Everyone I have played is loud and resonant. You might have to hunt for a used one to keep it in your price range. Or buy the Opio model which is sapele instead of koa and still as loud, I owned one

Go for punchy, resonant woods like cedar, redwood or spruce. Strings can make a huge difference. Aquila reds project extremely well.

I don't, however, want to be the focus of attention; I'd rather make a solid base for others to play along with so they feel they're adding what they can without being overshadowed.

This is a bit of a curve-ball idea, but I recently converted a tenor guitar to an octave ukulele. The finger positions are exactly the same any any low G linear tuned ukulele, but it's an octave lower and much louder/fuller because of the steel strings (but dynamics are very responsive and it has good range depending on what you're trying to do).

Perhaps most relevant to your approach, it's a different sound that a standard tuned ukulele can build on much like a bass/guitar combination. I think your students would be able to focus on you when you're demonstrating, including seeing your finger positions very clearly on the much larger frets, but you could potentially fade into the background when you're putting the attention back on them while adding a satisfying new layer to the overall group sound.

If this does interest you at all and you want to talk more about it, just let me know. I can always record some chord progressions for you to play with or jump on a FaceTime call to demonstrate.

I also vote for a KoAloha. Loud, resonant, with a bell-like voice. I have a concert for sale in your price range, but not a tenor.

For easy to find, the KoAloha KTM-00 has a consistently strong voice. If you want to take that up a notch Pop's tenor Wow is like the KTM-00 on steroids! But there aren't many around and for most owners they are keepers. You could also consider a resonator. Kind of a cross between uke and banjolele, and very loud. I have just listed my Beltona but it is a concert as most seem to be. But there are some tenor reso's out there.

I agree with all the suggestions about the koaloha tenor being the loudest tenor. I would add that the older koaloha tenors made before 2019 had larger bodies and 15 frets on the neck are the louder of the koaloha. They are less money too. I saw one on reverb the other day for under $1000. I own an older one koaloha which I use playing outdoors. It’s plenty loud. It’s is louder than my Kanilea and koolau tenors. But I have to say my Ono tenor blows them all away in loudness, but it is a lot more money than you want to spend. Good luck in your search!

Attachments

• IMG_0065.jpeg
    IMG_0065.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I've been told that a properly strung Martin stands out in group play and read in an older review that they are definitely loud. Perhaps someone who owns one will chime in.

Go for punchy, resonant woods like cedar, redwood or spruce. Strings can make a huge difference. Aquila reds project extremely well.
I second the Aquila Reds! Very loud strings. They get to be pretty high tension for me at standard tuning, but they have made several quiet ukes louder for me.

How big is your group and your room? At most jam sessions that I attend, the leaders use amplifiers, especially for the person keeping the beat.

My Martin T1K is pretty loud. I bet it would be even louder with fluorocarbon strings on it. Just over $500 brand spankin' new.

much cheaper Kala SSTU travel ukes have a reputation of being loud.

I’ve owned two of these tenors, they were both loud ukes. They are below your budget.
This is the one. Nothing louder that I've ever heard. I call mine the Fogcutter. I play it in class with 20 students all playing at the same time and it rises above them all... I have an SSTU-t and an EMTU-t. The plywood topped EMTU is pretty loud as well but the SSTU beats it. That solid top is as thin as a potato chip and really puts out. Punchy and crunchy for playing rhythm parts... short on sustain and tone though. But if it's loud you are after this is it! I have those thick Worth Flouros with a low g and that makes it bark even louder! Other strings make it sound richer but this one is set up to ROAR!!!

I vote KoAloha tenor also. I don't have one, but in our uke gathering they cut through amazingly well.

This is the one. Nothing louder that I've ever heard. I call mine the Fogcutter. I play it in class with 20 students all playing at the same time and it rises above them all... I have an SSTU-t and an EMTU-t. The plywood topped EMTU is pretty loud as well but the SSTU beats it. That solid top is as thin as a potato chip and really puts out. Punchy and crunchy for playing rhythm parts... short on sustain and tone though. But if it's loud you are after this is it! I have those thick Worth Flouros with a low g and that makes it bark even louder! Other strings make it sound richer but this one is set up to ROAR!!!
This is the way…

Top Bottom