Let's learn uke together !

clear

Reaction score
Would anybody be interested in learning the uke together in a peer-review format?
Basically, each month, we'd agree on a few songs and post videos on our works-in-progress for peer feedback/comments/mutual encouragements.

Kinda? I like the concept, but I wouldn't be likely to share video (not that kinda person), and I'm probably not necessarily going in the same direction of song learning. I hope you get some enthusiasm! I will keep an eye on this chat. It's a good idea.

Kinda? I like the concept, but I wouldn't be likely to share video (not that kinda person), and I'm probably not necessarily going in the same direction of song learning. I hope you get some enthusiasm! I will keep an eye on this chat. It's a good idea.

Video is very useful for feedback on things like posture, position, and even how the tone is generated. I'd like to have something like this (but for ukulele) https://www.forum.ukuleleundergroun...ds/free-online-classical-guitar-class.152562/

I started the ukulele during the pandemic (almost 3 years ago); but I'm still at (more or less) the skill level of 6-9 months because I've quit learning and just played. I'm pretty good with strumming chords and singing songs; almost no chord is too hard for me now (hahaha). However, I'd like to play chord melody songs; something like this (BTW, this was where I left off learning; it was a bit too challenging so I lost interest. I've started and quit, started and quit, repeat that a few more times and before I knew it, it's been more than a year):

Capture.jpg

If you/anybody is interested in a song like this and at the level like this (the level should be something a bit harder than you can currently play but not so hard such that you have no idea where to start); please, let's work together.

Each month, we can each optionally submit a song that we want to learn. The videos is an iterative process where each successive take incorporates feedback and improves upon the previous take. We'll learn all the songs. We can try it for maybe 3 months and see. It is amazing the motivation you get from knowing that your peers are waiting to listen to your music.

I just saw this, I'm interested. My story is similar, I started during covid, mostly strum chords, etc. Can I see more of this song's example so that I can assess plausibility? Individual note picking mixed with strumming is new to me, as is reading tab, although I can read normal piano music.

I just saw this, I'm interested. My story is similar, I started during covid, mostly strum chords, etc. Can I see more of this song's example so that I can assess plausibility? Individual note picking mixed with strumming is new to me, as is reading tab, although I can read normal piano music.
Hi, I've PM'ed you the song; let me know if you can't see it. I only have the TAB notation; but I can always create it in Musescore.

Ideally, I'd like to find 4 or 5 similar-skilled folks (or more advanced players) so we can get good amounts of feedback. We can each submit songs that we want to learn but just never have enough motivation to push through (like this Red River Valley song, I've been wanting to learn for over a year. It's sad; I know.)

Thanks for the music, I'll find it on YouTube to see what a normal tempo is for this song (one of my complaints about tab is it's missing tempo info).

I would be interested. I've only been playing for about a year and just recently started to learn chord melody.

Could you post the tab as an attachment?

I would be interested. I've only been playing for about a year and just recently started to learn chord melody.
Hi,
I'm just not experienced enough to be qualified to lead. I was really hoping that a more experienced player might take an interest in leading; or that there'll be a few more interested newbies (including myself) to reach some kind of critical mass to be able to offer good constructive feedback. Unfortunately, it seems folks take to learning the uke in a very casual manner so this idea isn't taking traction (and perhaps that's another beauty of the uke).

Top Bottom