Is there a difference in playability between the Pono AS and Pono ASD?

runlikecrazy25

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy my second ukulele and I'm almost positive that I want a Pono Soprano. The Pono AS and ASD appear to be the same uke besides a few cosmetic differences (gloss finish and ebony fingerboard and bridge on the ASD). The ASD is the "deluxe" version but I was wondering if the ASD sounds better or if it just looks a little nicer. I don't feel like the $100 increase in price for the ASD is worth it if it's just a little flashier...

Thanks for the help!

They also have differing face plates ebony vs rosewood. There is a long standing debate whether satin or gloss have different tonal qualities. The idea being that the gloss, heavier or more layers, will restrict the vibration of the soundboard more resulting in a quite, or more muted sound. I have no idea if it's true or not, but I do love the look of gloss.

I have a satin and a gloss uke now, one interesting difference I have found was that at times with the gloss your hand doesn't want to slide up or down the neck as easily as with satin. I have seen custom ukes online where they had the neck in satin and the body in gloss for that reason.

I have the MSD and love it. I can't compare it to the satin ones cause I've never seen one. But I like the looks and sounds of other quality satin ukes a lot. I think you'll be very happy.

Top Bottom