Introduction

longbow72

Reaction score
Hi I am Dave from near Oxford UK. I am a beginner and started 4 weeks ago. I am lucky that there is a ukulele group near me called Adderbury Ukes with really helpful folks there. In my youth (50 odd years ago) I quickly found that playing a guitar was beyond me. So far the ukulele seems more up my street. Cheers

Welcome! Nice to have you join us! I'm new to the uke too, and have found a lot of great information and support here. I'm so pleased you've got an ukulele group near you, that's a great way to get our and practice what you're learning and to learn more stuff!

Welcome, Dave! Cheers from near Atlanta USA. Spending a few hours of quality time with the family at Booth Western Art Museum today.

Hello and welcome, from the wilds of Shropshire. I too found the ukulele after picking up a guitar and deciding it was too big and cumbersome. That was about twenty-five years ago. Enjoy!

Hi I am Dave from near Oxford UK. I am a beginner and started 4 weeks ago. I am lucky that there is a ukulele group near me called Adderbury Ukes with really helpful folks there. In my youth (50 odd years ago) I quickly found that playing a guitar was beyond me. So far the ukulele seems more up my street. Cheers
Welcome! You are indeed fortunate to have a uke group nearby. No such luck here in rural Oregon.

You're also lucky to discover the ukulele so quickly. It took me 60 years of guitar playing before I figured out I prefer the smaller, lighter uke.

Jim

Welcome to UU, longbow72 / Dave!
Ukes are too much fun. There is lots of different things to learn if you want, but only a few chords are needed to get you started. So, whatever you decide to focus on, and whenever you accomplish your goal(s) I wish you a very pleasant journey.

Welcome Dave. Yes, having supportive people at your uke club makes a big difference. I had the same thing at my club and it made me more enthusiastic to acquire a tenor of my own and learn to play. One tenor has grown to many. And the learning continues.
Oh, and I've made several friends along the way.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, Dave. What kind of ukulele are you playing? Any favorite songs to play yet?

Welcome from Nevada USA! I too wish I had started uke in my youth but better late than never. It’s a great community.

Hello and welcome from the East Midlands!

Well thanks for all the welcomes and replies to my intro. What a great forum. I used to be into archery, but that was a long-time ago, Even though I have only been playing about 6 weeks I already have 3 ukes. The first was a flight soprano with std 35mm nut. I quickly looked for a wider fretboard and went for a Islander concert with 38mm nut. Due to my poor left hand technique I still didn't always clear the adjacent string when making a chord even with the 38mm nut (Incidentally the G to A string spacing was not much more than my 35mm nut soprano). I really wanted to try an Otto Schmidt wide neck (44mm nut) but these aren't available in the UK. so I got a cheap (£25) soprano with 40mm nut. However as expected it is cheap and plinky, so not much fun to play. I realise my left hand finger position on chords will improve with practice, but at my age I want to take any shortcut I can find.

Welcome, Dave! Cheers from near Atlanta USA. Spending a few hours of quality time with the family at Booth Western Art Museum today.
Hi I have a pal that lives near Dawsonville. He took me to the Sun Dial rotating restaurant in Atlanta. I was glad to get out of the external elevator. Not for the faint hearted. Cheers Dave

Hi I have a pal that lives near Dawsonville. He took me to the Sun Dial rotating restaurant in Atlanta. I was glad to get out of the external elevator. Not for the faint hearted. Cheers Dave
D'ville is about halfway between my home and Dahlonega, which is the location of my Alma Mater, University of North GA. The Sun Dial is certainly an experience. If you ate a meal there, I hope he paid the tab, LOL!

D'ville is about halfway between my home and Dahlonega, which is the location of my Alma Mater, University of North GA. The Sun Dial is certainly an experience. If you ate a meal there, I hope he paid the tab, LOL!
I know Dahlonega quite well, a lovely town. Our trip to the Sun Dial was just for drinks. I asked for a Gin and tonic and I'm sure it was 90% gin and 10% tonic, I had to get another tonic water to make it drinkable.

I know Dahlonega quite well, a lovely town. Our trip to the Sun Dial was just for drinks. I asked for a Gin and tonic and I'm sure it was 90% gin and 10% tonic, I had to get another tonic water to make it drinkable.
. . . and thus you greatly increased your susceptibility to yellow fever, LOL . . .

Welcome to UU, longbow! I sold my last guitar at least 7 years ago. uke groups seemed like a lot more fun, and the thing hurt my hand.
Uke on!

Top Bottom