New Member Introduction (PNW)

4Quince

Reaction score
Greetings from the Pacific Northwest (PNW), USA.

Fairly new to UU; time to introduce myself. Originally an East coast girl, who came of age in San Francisco, and now lives in rural PNW. I've long had an interest in wanting to play an instrument; recent retirement has afforded me this opportunity. I've yet to purchase my own ukulele (borrow the one provided by the local library), but am beginning to narrow down what I'd like thanks to this forum. I am grateful for all I have learned here in a short amount of time, and look forward to that continuing, and hopefully contributing in time.

Welcome 4Quince! That's fantastic that your local library has an instrument lending program and that you are taking advantage of it. I think that's marvelous and well done for picking the ukulele 😉

I'm located just north of you on Vancouver Island in BC. We consider ourselves part of the PNW because we share a lot climate, weather, biology, geographic similarities, beer, coffee... 😊

Welcome, 4Quince … from yet another PNW soul. I, too, am originally from the East Coast - the East Coast of Canada, that is (Nova Scotia). But the PNW is a good place to call home, and the UU Forum is a great place to spend time during our many damp days and nights. Glad you found your way here, and wishing you a joyous ukulele journey!

Welcome to UU 4Quince! Like Amie says, it’s brilliant that you’re able to borrow a ukulele from your local library, I hope that’s becoming more and more common. Once you’re ready to buy your first uke you’ll find there are LOADS of people on here ready to help you spend your money!

Once you’re ready to buy your first uke you’ll find there are LOADS of people on here ready to help you spend your money!
And take your money off your hands in exchange for an ukulele (or four...). Our Marketplace does regularly have some good options for sure.

Reactions: TBB
Thank you for the warm welcomes!
I'm located just north of you on Vancouver Island in BC.

Vancouver Island is so beautiful. It's been a long time since I have been there. Maybe that will change in 2024!

I definitely appreciate that the the local library has a ukulele available for loan (only one for the entire County, however). Thankfully, I am able to renew the loan every three weeks as long as no one else requests it, which has been the case for the last few months anyway. I am looking forward to purchasing my own, once decided what is best for me. I am hoping to avoid UAS in the long term. I'm leaning toward Romero Creations, but torn...

I love quince pie.
I love membrillo with some kind of flavourful cheese... Mmmm.

I'm a bit obsessed with all things quince related; it is such a magical fruit. I've never had quince pie, but have a currently have a stack of homemade membrillo in the refrigerator. Just yesterday, I processed some quince that I have been marinating in vodka and spices ( I especially like to use lemon peel , cardamom, and fennel pollen) for the last two years. And presently have a batch of quince vinegar in the works. Do either of you have your own trees? I have lots of seeds if you would like some; I am babying one that has recently sprouted! Did you know that the seeds, historically, have been used in wound healing? And that the poaching liquid, can be used to make cocktails?

Do either of you have your own trees?
We have a sapling, it's getting there. We also have the ornamental "japonica" quince that throws a few hard little fruits every year.

I have lots of seeds if you would like some; I am babying one that has recently sprouted!
I didn't know they bred true; I kinda assumed they were like apples, and the results from seeds wouldn't be what you'd necessarily expect from the parent.

I'm a bit obsessed with all things quince related; it is such a magical fruit.
Found the quince wood ukulele:

(might be listed in CA$ because that's how I have my Reverb set and it seems to stymie people here, but I think I cleared the CA$ setting from the link posted?)

I didn't know they bred true; I kinda assumed they were like apples, and the results from seeds wouldn't be what you'd necessarily expect from the parent.
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/quince/quince-tree-seed-propagation.htm.I figure it's worth a try to see what happens

Thanks for the link! Beautiful looking instrument!
I used to watch Quincy...
LOL! Having worked in the healthcare industry for over 35 years, I wasn't interested in TV medical drama shows.

We have a sapling, it's getting there. We also have the ornamental "japonica" quince that throws a few hard little fruits every year.

(might be listed in CA$ because that's how I have my Reverb set and it seems to stymie people here, but I think I cleared the CA$ setting from the link posted?)
Interesting.I wonder how Quince sounds as a tone wood. It looks to have a pretty tight grain.

The company that is selling the ukulele is a Japanese store that has a very good reputation. They buy ukuleles and other instruments around the world for resale and often have some rare and unusual ones on offer. Unfortunately, by the time they import them to Japan, it's quite expensive to buy them back with the higher price and the added import fees.

I had to look up membrillo.

How does Quince taste when it's made into an alcoholic beverage?

Just yesterday, I processed some quince that I have been marinating in vodka and spices ( I especially like to use lemon peel , cardamom, and fennel pollen) for the last two years
Have you plans on how you'll be deploying this decadent sounding infusion?

Top Bottom