Hey Folks! New here and looking to get some information

JoeNation

Reaction score
I inherited an antique ukulele from my 85-year-old mother-in-law. I can't identify the type or vintage of this instrument, but I did have a small repair done to it years ago and the music shop seemed very impressed with it for some reason. The only identification on it is Gretsch. Now that I have retired, I finally have time to apply my large hands to this small instrument and see how that works out. Can you tell me how I might put a history to this instrument or who I should consult to figure out what type of Gretsch this is? All I know is that my mother-in-law owned it when she was very young. She was born in 1937. Any help would be appreciated, and I can attach pictures if that would help. Thanks everyone!

Photos would definitely be a big help in identifying your uke Joe.
Here's a Gratsch soprano from 1940-50. Is it anything like this?
Gretsch ukulele -1940-50.jpg

Welcome to Ukulele Underground.

Thanks Jim. How large of a picture file is allowed? The Gretsch stamp looks like your picture but there is no serial number anywhere.

Here is a picture with original case. I'll add more if needed. Thanks all.

Attachments

• Uke 1 jpg type.jpg
    Uke 1 jpg type.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 49
  • Uke 3.jpg
    Uke 3.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Uke 4.jpg
    Uke 4.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 46
Another photo.

Attachments

• Uke 2.jpg
    Uke 2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Uke 6.jpg
    Uke 6.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 28
I may be wrong, but my recollection is that Gretsch instruments used to be highly regarded. But, not so much anymore. I have one modern Gretsch, and I wish I had my money back. Not that it's horrible, it isn't. It's just pretty durn ordinary in every way. And, I have higher end instruments just like it that sound and play much better. But an older Gretsch like yours may be a treasure. You'd have to put it in the hands of an experienced Uke player to find out. Good players can make just about any instrument sound good. But, after playing an instrument, a good player can give you an accurate assessment of the instrument's qualities.

Here is a picture with original case. I'll add more if needed. Thanks all.
Thank you for the information. I didn't even know it was a soprano uke. That is very helpful. At least I have a place to start now. Mine has zero cracks either on the face or the back of the body. It was kept in very good condition. It has the same sound as the one in your description too.

I may be wrong, but my recollection is that Gretsch instruments used to be highly regarded. But, not so much anymore. I have one modern Gretsch, and I wish I had my money back. Not that it's horrible, it isn't. It's just pretty durn ordinary in every way. And, I have higher end instruments just like it that sound and play much better. But an older Gretsch like yours may be a treasure. You'd have to put it in the hands of an experienced Uke player to find out. Good players can make just about any instrument sound good. But, after playing an instrument, a good player can give you an accurate assessment of the instrument's qualities.
I live near a university with a large music school. My next step will be to find someone over there that can put some talented fingers to the strings to see exactly what it is capable of sounding like. Thanks.

I'd recommend putting some new strings on it first. ;-)

I'm a big fan of Gretsch. My oldest is named after one of my Gretsch guitars, actually.

Gretsch is the 2nd-oldest family-owned instrument company in US history and they've made some amazing instruments over the years. The company was sold to Baldwin who did a great deal to ruin the brand by moving manufacturing from New York, losing a ton of employees, making VERY questionable decisions when it came to models, and then eventually running it into the ground. Fred Gretsch III reacquired it in the... I want to say 90s. He's a nice guy and started getting instruments made again and they were pretty lackluster. They were more vintage-inspired than anything else. It was only when he partnered with FMIC for manufacturing and distribution that they started making more vintage-correct instruments that followed the same bracings and body shapes as the vintage examples.

But it seems like once Joe Carducci retired from FMIC (he was the guy at FMIC who was in charge of Gretsch, but always under Fred III) they've started to release what I consider questionable updates. Their guitars are starting to have weird bridges and use bracings similar to Gibson. It's almost like they want to be a brighter-colored Gibson, but there are more than enough Gibsons out there for everyone. I don't know why they aren't leaning into their own uniqueness.

Anyway, their vintage ukes sound pretty killer. I'd like to get an old Gretsch tenor somewhere in the future. Modern examples don't grab me nearly as much.

It seems like you've got a lot of history in your instrument! I'd capitalize on that and learn its ins and outs and see what you can do on it!

I'd recommend putting some new strings on it first. ;-)

I'm a big fan of Gretsch. My oldest is named after one of my Gretsch guitars, actually.

Gretsch is the 2nd-oldest family-owned instrument company in US history and they've made some amazing instruments over the years. The company was sold to Baldwin who did a great deal to ruin the brand by moving manufacturing from New York, losing a ton of employees, making VERY questionable decisions when it came to models, and then eventually running it into the ground. Fred Gretsch III reacquired it in the... I want to say 90s. He's a nice guy and started getting instruments made again and they were pretty lackluster. They were more vintage-inspired than anything else. It was only when he partnered with FMIC for manufacturing and distribution that they started making more vintage-correct instruments that followed the same bracings and body shapes as the vintage examples.

But it seems like once Joe Carducci retired from FMIC (he was the guy at FMIC who was in charge of Gretsch, but always under Fred III) they've started to release what I consider questionable updates. Their guitars are starting to have weird bridges and use bracings similar to Gibson. It's almost like they want to be a brighter-colored Gibson, but there are more than enough Gibsons out there for everyone. I don't know why they aren't leaning into their own uniqueness.

Anyway, their vintage ukes sound pretty killer. I'd like to get an old Gretsch tenor somewhere in the future. Modern examples don't grab me nearly as much.

It seems like you've got a lot of history in your instrument! I'd capitalize on that and learn its ins and outs and see what you can do on it!
Wow! Thanks for all that history. Fascinating. You're right about the strings. I think they were added when I had the bridge repaired. I haven't used it since that repair so I haven't upgraded to a better set of strings yet. Thanks again.

Top Bottom