Fitting a compensated saddle

moonlessbag

Reaction score
Hi all. I was wondering how easy it is to change the saddle on a soprano ukulele to a compensated one? I have an Ohana SK-21 (the sopranino) and an Ohana SK-39. I like them both a lot but I have noticed slight intonation inaccuracies compared to my Martin S1, which has a compensated saddle.

Can you buy prefabricated compensated saddles? Or is this the sort of thing where it would be better to try and file my own? If so, are there general principles I should be following in terms of which strings should start from closer to the neck and which from the other end? Thank you!

Perhaps you can also post this on the Ukulele Building portion of this website. Maybe one of the luthiers would know

I don't think that compensated saddles are universal but fit to the scale of specific instrument. If I were to switch one of my straight saddles I'd probably try to find a strip of ebony and work with that.

I can't imagine you can get a premade compensated saddle it's normally done with the strings on the uke. If you want to try doing on your own the general rule is if the string plays sharp up the neck lengthen it, if it plays flat shorten it. Hopefully you have a wide enough saddle to make some adjustments, keep in mind action at the twelve fret also as you file the saddle.

Top Bottom