Fitting fretboard to body

My two bobs worth. I'm a little late here and I'm not a builder.

EDIT: It probably doesn't matter at all. Carry on.

Last edited:
Would it be rude of me to jump into this thread with my own "issue"? It's something I've been meaning to bring up and aligns with this thread, so why start another?

I have been radiusing the tops of my ukes. My current method has resulted in tall saddles, and it's something I thought I'd want to remedy, though mostly because I thought it looks a little weird.

It doesn't, however, seem to affect tone, intonation, or volume, or playability. This is the loudest uke I own. It has a cedar top and a lot of punch. My ears can be really sensitive to pitch, and intonation is very good. The action is not high, just high enough.

So, besides looks, what is a compelling reason to change this? (not that I wasn't going to try) What will I actually gain?View attachment 128306

In the ukulele World, flat set necks and really low saddles are the order of the day. Who am I to say its wrong but its the kind of thing that gives some experienced Guitar luthiers the heebie-jeebies. You haven't shown us the whole neck yet it looks like you have some angle on it with a corresponding high saddle height and a decent string break angle over the saddle. There will be many an experienced Guitar luthier who will reckon that you have done it just right.

Who knows. If it works for you and sounds good then its good.

In the ukulele World, flat set necks and really low saddles are the order of the day. Who am I to say its wrong but its the kind of thing that gives some experienced Guitar luthiers the heebie-jeebies. You haven't shown us the whole neck yet it looks like you have some angle on it with a corresponding high saddle height and a decent string break angle over the saddle. There will be many an experienced Guitar luthier who will reckon that you have done it just right.

Who knows. If it works for you and sounds good then its good.

Ha, yes I started making guitars originally years ago before coming to ukuleles. I never owned a uke before I made my own, but oddly enough my first uke has a low bridge and saddle.

I appreciate the input. I'm gonna keep working on this.

Top Bottom