Daniel Ho Vintage Soprano ʻUkulele by Romero Creations

My guess is it's just a slightly tweaked FS-1G .
Is it worth the premium ; I don't know as I haven't heard it in person to compare .
Do I want one ; yes , I do . :)

• Love
Reactions: EDW
You never know. Those tweaks may make it very worthwhile. I am sure it is a lovely player and probably worth the money

I also have my ear on the Millar PD-210MN soprano .
All solid Mahogany , nylon strings , about the same price .
I'd like to have a laminate for travel , so maybe get both .

Yes, those are nice. There is a good deal on one

Daniel Ho replied promptly to my email about his Vintage Soprano ukulele .

" I wouldn’t want to compare it to Kiwaya’s ukulele. Kiwaya makes wonderful instruments, and pointing out the differences kind of puts one above the other. Both instruments are great. Pepe’s design choices are to bring out qualities that he values. "

Aloha from Chicago! We are on tour at the moment and have a show tonight at the Old Town School of Folk Music.

I looked at the Kiwaya KS-1G and the main design differences I see are things that are part of the Romero Creations line of instruments:

1. String through the body bridge - this transfers the vibration of the string directly to the soundboard, and it makes it easier to change strings. It is also safer as the bridge will never pop off.

2. larger soundhole - this is like singing with your mouth open. Has a little more open sound.

3. Soundhole moved towards neck- Pepe tries to make the soundboard as large as possible. Moving the soundhole more towards the neck achieves this and moves all the bracing inside as well. The soundboard is the most vibrant part of the instrument as it is what the vibration from the string activates first.

4. Frets all the way to the soundhole. This provides more range. The intonation of the Vintage Soprano is about the best I’ve ever heard. all the frets are really well intonated so the instrument has a wide, useable range.

5. Romero Creations headstock

6. I’m not sure what is different inside the body with regards to bracing, wood thicknesses, as this is Pepe’s specialty.

I have an old Martin soprano that my mom gave me and it is a wonderful instrument. The Vintage Soprano sounds very much like it, but a little warmer and fuller with very accurate intonation.

I hope this is helpful.

Aloha,
Daniel

"The Romero Creations Vintage Soprano is a powerful, traditional ukulele that plays in tune all the way up the fretboard."
Pepe Romero Jr.

Additional info :
The inside of the ukulele is the same as the Kiwaya version, but as noted prior , moving and enlarging the sound hole make the top vibrate and resonate differently.
The strings are Kiwaya’s stock fluorocarbon set.
30 were made for the US market and 100 for the Japanese market.

Last edited:
Additional info :
The inside of the ukulele is the same as the Kiwaya version, but as noted prior moving and enlarging the sound hole make the top vibrate and resonate differently.
So, who is going to buy one and do a comparison video with a Kiwaya? ;)

From what I now know I think of the D Ho Vintage Soprano as a Pro version of the Famous FS-1G with a pro price .
It has more frets and promises more volume , more sustain , enhanced tone , better intonation , and a bridge that's easier to string while having less problems with structural issues .
As to who is going to do a comparison , two obvious candidates would be Got a Ukulele and forum member Jan Haasler .
But as this model is a USA and Japan only release that may never happen .
Maybe Kiwaya will do a comparison video ?

From what I now know I think of the D Ho Vintage Soprano as a Pro version of the Famous FS-1G with a pro price .
It has more frets and promises more volume , more sustain , enhanced tone , better intonation , and a bridge that's easier to string while having less problems with structural issues .
As to who is going to do a comparison , two obvious candidates would be Got a Ukulele and forum member Jan Haasler .
But as this model is a USA and Japan only release that may never happen .
Maybe Kiwaya will do a comparison video ?
This is a special edition for Daniel Ho. He said he didn't want to do a comparison and I don't see why Kiwaya would want to either. Unless someone buys one to do their own comparison or gifts one to our Euro friends, then I don't think you will see a comparison before the limited edition is sold out.

Maybe UkeStuff

Last edited:
Seems a little weird to me: Kiwaya makes it, Romero puts their name on it, Daniel Ho signs it. Everyone gets their cut. No surprise that it costs much more than the model it's based on.

If I were in the US, and looking for a vintage style soprano, I would keep my $429 in my pocket, save a little more and keep my eyes peeled for a well-priced Martin Style 0….

Reactions: EDW
If I were in the US, and looking for a vintage style soprano, I would keep my $429 in my pocket, save a little more and keep my eyes peeled for a well-priced Martin Style 0….
Yes, unless someone wanted a laminate for travel or other uses, you can't go wrong with a nice vintage Martin. There are often good deals out there if you keep your eyes open.

Top Bottom