Daniel Ho Vintage Soprano ʻUkulele by Romero Creations

Uke Republic has 3 in stock. Clips I have heard sound great. They are made by Kiwaya from their super thin laminate. Fans of wide spacing will love the 38mm nut. They also have a string through bridge and the typical Romero headstock. There is not a great deal of info online about the body size. I am wondering if the body dimensions are the same as Kiwaya's Martin style instruments or if there are modifications to that standard size

Uke Republic has 3 in stock. Clips I have heard sound great. They are made by Kiwaya from their super thin laminate. Fans of wide spacing will love the 38mm nut. They also have a string through bridge and the typical Romero headstock. There is not a great deal of info online about the body size. I am wondering if the body dimensions are the same as Kiwaya's Martin style instruments or if there are modifications to that standard size

$429 at Uke Republic is almost 3 times as much money as Kiwaya's FS-1G laminate mahogany ukulele (currently $164 on Amazon) which looks very similar to this one (at least in the photos). You do get a slightly wider nut and string-through bridge, but is there any difference in sound quality?

You do get a slightly wider nut and string-through bridge, but is there any difference in sound quality?
That is why I was wondering about the specs. I don’t know if they are close other that the few relatively small changes or if there are differences in the build

Made by Kiwaya ? Is that what UKE Republic said ?

Last edited:
I think the sound hole is a bit larger .
17F vs 15F on Kiwaya
1 Installed strap button
Daniel Ho logo

https://www.romerocreations.com/vintage-soprano

https://jp.yamaha.com/products/brands/romerocreations/index.html

Vintage+Soprano.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a beauty. Not sure I'd pay more for it than for a similar Famous, which is generally a lot less expensive.

Looks like a beauty. Not sure I'd pay more for it than for a similar Famous, which is generally a lot less expensive.
That is why I am curious if there are differences in the build other than the things mentioned. Any clips I have heard so far sound great

That is why I am curious if there are differences in the build other than the things mentioned. Any clips I have heard so far sound great
Could just be that the price reflects it's a Limited Edition run of the Famous FS-1G with a different vintage color wood stain , different head stock and logo , bit larger sound hole , more frets , different bridge , a strap button , and perhaps produced to even more exacting quality control .
Even if those details don't justify the price to some it may to fans of Daniel Ho and Romero Creations .

"The vintage look of this soprano ʻukulele is built using Romero Creations’ unwavering commitment to precision, performance, sound, and playability." Romero Creations

Last edited:
I still think the price for this Daniel Ho special edition is outrageous. I remember when Kiwaya released a special edition FS-5DX that was a fancier version of their best selling FS-5 model. The FS-5DX has 14 frets above the body, which is more useful (to me) than putting the extra frets next to the sound hole. I don't think the wider fretboard is all that useful, especially since the base model FS-5 already has a wider fretboard than my Romero Creations STC concert ukulele. If Romero thinks a wider fretboard is useful on a soprano, why not put it on their concert ukuleles as well? Plus, I think the side geared tuners on the Romero soprano are very ugly compared to the UPT tuners on the FS-5DX. The FS-5DX was only a 30% price increase vs the FS-5 while the Daniel Ho edition is 3 times the price of the FS-1g. I can see the Daniel Ho edition being interesting if it was a 30 to 50% price increase, but 3 times the price is too much.

Here is an old thread in this forum about the FS-5DX: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/threads/new-deluxe-version-of-kiwaya-ks-5-fs-5.155515/

Top Bottom