Country awards bass player with Hofner bass.

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
I was surprised when I watched the Peoples Choice Country Music awards that one of the bass players was using a Hofner violin style bass rather than the far more common country band Fender Precision or Jazz bass. To a slight degree, it justifies my decision to only use a violin style bass uke.

Bass Collection 8.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, you've got some beauties there, Mike. They all are very cool. I particularly like the tuxedo color scheme with the black and white.

There was this guy in a British rock band back in the 60's who used one too... 😅

I have been told that the Hofner is "not a bad" simulator of the upright bass, depending on setup, which might make it a reasonable choice in a lot of country bands - yet the standard in traditional country has been the Fender Precision for ages - which is also "not too bad" as a simulator of upright, if you put flats, roll off the treble, and put some foam rubber under the strings at the bridge.

I have been told that the Hofner is "not a bad" simulator of the upright bass, depending on setup, which might make it a reasonable choice in a lot of country bands - yet the standard in traditional country has been the Fender Precision for ages - which is also "not too bad" as a simulator of upright, if you put flats, roll off the treble, and put some foam rubber under the strings at the bridge.
I have Kala/Galli flatwound nylon core on all my basses, even had flats on my guitars for almost fifty years, I hate the zing noise rounds make.

I play double bass. When I was looking for an electric bass I tried a few. Eventually I bought a Hofner VB because of its lovely 'woody' sound. It's perfect for jazz, but the treble pickup and solo mode can sound quite raunchy. Its a pleasantly versatile bass.

I play double bass. When I was looking for an electric bass I tried a few. Eventually I bought a Hofner VB because of its lovely 'woody' sound. It's perfect for jazz, but the treble pickup and solo mode can sound quite raunchy. Its a pleasantly versatile bass.
What strings do you use on the Hofner Violin Bass?

I like the black one the most.

I had a Rogue violin bass. After a setup and some mods, it was a very nice bass. It's not my first choice, but I did like it. I've played short scale for years and enjoy trying out new instruments. My primary is a MIJ Fender Jazz Junior with flats.
Yeah, I had one too, back in 2010, had flat tapewounds on it. Struggled with the scale length, then became unemployed and sold it.

Top Bottom