Mama (Country Comfort)

Great job on what I believe is Country Comfort's best song ever!! Unfortunately, few if anyone remembers or have even heard of this song. Used to see them at the Territorial Tavern - think Booga Booga used to open for them.

Just played along to your video; first time I'd played the song in almost 50 years. 😊 My friends used to play this song back then - brought back good memories, especially of my best man & lead guitarist who passed away several years ago. I inherited his Taylor guitar so remember him each time I play it.

Keanu Boom band was the only other group that I heard play Mama. Used to see them at the Ward Warehouse Farmers' Market most saturday mornings.

Last edited:
Country Comfort was fun while they lasted. They only released 2 albums in the mid-1970s with a lot of the songs being written by Liko Martin (including "Waimanalo Blues" and "Mama"). Lead singer Billy Kaui also released a solo album shortly before he passed away in 1978. Surviving members of Country Comfort later joined other very successful contemporary Hawaiian bands like Olomana, Kalapana, Peter Moon Band, and Cecilio & Kapono. Unfortunately that was before the MTV era and I have never seen any live video of Country Comfort. Today there is a band in New Jersey called Country Comfort that is probably no relation.

Last edited:
Great job on what I believe is Country Comfort's best song ever!! Unfortunately, few if anyone remembers or have even heard of this song. Used to see them at the Territorial Tavern - think Booga Booga used to open for them.

Just played along to your video; first time I'd played the song in almost 50 years. 😊 My friends used to play this song back then - brought back good memories, especially of my best man & lead guitarist who passed away several years ago. I inherited his Taylor guitar so remember him each time I play it.

Keanu Boom band was the only other group that I heard play Mama. Used to see them at the Ward Warehouse Farmers' Market most saturday mornings.

Mahalo, ampeep, and thanks for sharing that Keanu Boom video. I like this band's covers of many great local and Hawaiian songs.
So great that you got to see Country Comfort live, and the Booga Booga/Country Comfort combination must have been fun! :)

Last edited:
Country Comfort was fun while they lasted. They only released 2 albums in the mid-1970s with a lot of the songs being written by Liko Martin (including "Waimanalo Blues" and "Mama"). Lead singer Billy Kaui also released a solo album shortly before he passed away in 1978. Surviving members of Country Comfort later joined other very successful contemporary Hawaiian bands like Olomana, Kalapana, Peter Moon Band, and Cecilio & Kapono. Unfortunately that was before the MTV era and I have never seen any live video of Country Comfort. Today there is a band in New Jersey called Country Comfort that is probably no relation.
Mahalo for the info, man0a! I didn't realize Liko Martin also wrote "Mama" (in addition to "Nanakuli/Waimanalo Blues"). It's a shame that there doesn't seem to be a single video of them performing. By the way, do you know who played slack key guitar in the group? The slack key in songs like "Waimanalo Blues" and "Sunlight Moonlight" is amazing!

Mahalo for the info, man0a! I didn't realize Liko Martin also wrote "Mama" (in addition to "Nanakuli/Waimanalo Blues"). It's a shame that there doesn't seem to be a single video of them performing. By the way, do you know who played slack key guitar in the group? The slack key in songs like "Waimanalo Blues" and "Sunlight Moonlight" is amazing!
I think the band had 3 or 4 acoustic guitar players, but I'm not sure who played what tuning. They have been compared to CSNY (Crosby Stills Nash & Young) plus a lot of slack key.

Count me as one not familiar with the song. Nice performance John, and a nice choice in songs. I enjoyed the tune and the lyrics. Appreciate you sharing and I like the garden background.

Count me as one not familiar with the song. Nice performance John, and a nice choice in songs. I enjoyed the tune and the lyrics. Appreciate you sharing and I like the garden background.
Thanks for checking out my video despite not knowing the song, Joe! I figured this song wouldn't be so well-known outside of Hawaii, but I'm happy to introduce the song and hope people like it.
I've become crazy about gardening in recent years, so I want to show some nice views of the garden in my videos when I can. :)

I think the band had 3 or 4 acoustic guitar players, but I'm not sure who played what tuning. They have been compared to CSNY (Crosby Stills Nash & Young) plus a lot of slack key.
Lot of talent in that group, and I'm glad they found places in other bands when Country Comfort disbanded. It's sad that Billy Kaui passed away so young. He had a distinctive voice, for sure!

Top Bottom