Waimanalo Blues (Country Comfort)

keonepax

Verified Account
Reaction score

There's one part of the song where I'm not sure what the correct lyrics are. I sang:

"Birds on the winds forgettin' they're wild..."

Subsequent to posting the video, I saw a video in which Liko Martin, one of the songwriters, sings "birds on the wing," so I regret singing the wrong word, but the second part is not so clear to me. I've seen on some websites that post lyrics that the second part should be "forget in a while," but that doesn't make sense to me. Can anyone shed light on this?

Anyway, the message of the song isn't affected, I think, and I hope you like my rendition.

Well done! One of my favorites from Hawaii!

From Aldrine's recording on this site:
"Birds all along the sunlight at dawn..."

Following verse:
"Birds on the wind forgetting they're wild...

And then another one attributed to Arlo Guthrie had is a little different again, lol...

Last edited:
The original version of this song (by Liko Martin) was titled "Nanakuli Blues". Nanakuli is the opposite side of the island from Waimanalo, though maybe not that much different from the spirit of the song. The song has been covered a lot and different singers sang from the heart, not necessarily what was originally written. I don't think Liko was disappointed with any of those versions. Sometimes he sings the song with lyrics about both Waimanalo and Nanakuli. Here's a cover version from Don Ho.

Well done! One of my favorites from Hawaii!

From Aldrine's recording on this site:
"Birds all along the sunlight at dawn..."

Following verse:
"Birds on the wind forgetting they're wild...

And then another one attributed to Arlo Guthrie had is a little different again, lol...
Mahalo, Rainbow21! Before recording this song, I checked the UU play-along featuring Aldrine and that's where I first saw the "forgettin' they're wild" phrase. I thought, "Ah, okay, that makes more sense to me than "forget in a while."
I purposely changed the "In all of your dreams" to "In all of MY dreams," because that seemed to make more sense.

Liko Martin is still alive and performing.

Thanks for posting the YouTube videos, man0a! Sounds like both Don Ho and Liko Martin are singing "forgettin' they're wild." I think I heard Don Ho sing "wind" instead of "wing," so maybe I shouldn't worry so much. Some of my subscribers like that I post chords and lyrics in or with my videos, so I would like to get the words right as much as possible.

This is the version I heard first:

Can't embed the video. Go to youtube.

Kurt Meyer

"Waimanalo Blues" Henry Kapono, Israel Kamakawiwoʻole, Cyril Pahinui, Roland Cazimero​

Last edited:
For you Liko Martin fans, here is another one of his songs. "All Hawaii Stands Together" was commissioned by and first recorded by Don Ho, but the song has since taken on a life of its own with many other famous recordings and performances.

This is the version I heard first:

Can't embed the video. Go to youtube.

Kurt Meyer

"Waimanalo Blues" Henry Kapono, Israel Kamakawiwoʻole, Cyril Pahinui, Roland Cazimero​

Really great seeing these guys jam and having fun substituting "Waimanalo" with other places. :)

For you Liko Martin fans, here is another one of his songs. "All Hawaii Stands Together" was commissioned by and first recorded by Don Ho, but the song has since taken on a life of its own with many other famous recordings and performances.

A great anthem for Hawaii!

Very nice, John. Really enjoy your vocal harmony (harmonies?) on this. Thank you for sharing your rendition.

Top Bottom