Anybody use the B chord shape a lot???

kraaazyugs

Reaction score
I think it's super fun to use the B/Bb chord shape!:) songs by the band nevershoutnever use the Bb chord shape a lot.

Last edited:
Not a popular chord for me, nor i use it often...I like the Bb chord better...sounds nicer, resonates better...

I don't think the colour of that text in the original post is super fun to use. *strains eyes*

I think it's super fun to use the B chord shape!:) songs by the band nevershoutnever use the B chord shape a lot.
I agree with byjimini, visually, it would be better to use a different text color to make it readable. I had to highlight the text in order to read it. I think most members will just ignore the post if they can't read it. :2cents:

I use it but dread it.

Tend to be lazy and go Bb

I use that shape in several positions, particularly Bb and C. For some reason, hitting the actual B position is weird for me. I don't know why. My hand just doesn't want to play that shape at the second fret!

I don't think the colour of that text in the original post is super fun to use. *strains eyes*
Ditto.

But yes, I use the "b" chord shape a lot - assuming you mean 4322, which is usually barred and moves easily up and down the fretboard. I don't play a lot of music that uses a B chord, though, except blues in E, and even that's usually B7. I use a Bmin more often, too.

I agree with byjimini, visually, it would be better to use a different text color to make it readable. I had to highlight the text in order to read it. I think most members will just ignore the post if they can't read it. :2cents:
yeah srry bout that!!! I thought I changed it!

B chord

I like B 4322 dropping to Em 0432 (I just keep the barre and don't play the top string.
Then to C then C6 and finally 2222 returning to B. Lurverly...

I use it but dread it.

Tend to be lazy and go Bb

I dread it too. I have a hard time getting it to sound clean... I am working on a few songs that use Bb now, I like the sound when it sounds good. At least I am not avoiding songs I want to play because of it anymore. Keep on plugging I guess...

Hi Kraaazyugs

I guess it just depends on what songs call for it, and what songs best suit your voice being played in a key that uses a "B" if/when it is transposed. I find my voice usually gravitates to the key of "Eb", "F" or "G", sometimes C and D but rarely B...if a song is in "B" and you don't like playing the B chord you can capo at 2 and play in "F", or capo at 4 and play in "G"

Yes, as a moveable chord the "B" shape can easily be played all over the fretboard.

Funny - the B chord shape is the F shape for sissies on the guitar. By that I mean for those that can't manage a real F which is barred across all six strings, they will just play the first four, like the uke B chord shape. Whenever I play that shape on the ukulele, I am always thankful I am not playing a F on the guitar lol.

The Bb/B is actually the "A" shape played up a half & whole step.
It is a good shape to learn up and down the fret board.
If you play "A" then bar at the 5th, then 7th you have the I/IV/V progression and you can play r&r.

The Bb/B is actually the "A" shape played up a half & whole step.
It is a good shape to learn up and down the fret board.
If you play "A" then bar at the 5th, then 7th you have the I/IV/V progression and you can play r&r.

Or maybe the A is actually the B shape three half steps down - who can fathom these things [g].

Funny - the B chord shape is the F shape for sissies on the guitar. By that I mean for those that can't manage a real F which is barred across all six strings, they will just play the first four, like the uke B chord shape. Whenever I play that shape on the ukulele, I am always thankful I am not playing a F on the guitar lol.

Heh, heh. I guess sometimes I'm still a sissy. :) I usually play a full F-chord but sometimes if I have one of those quick off-beat or one-beat F chords I'll cheat - 'specially on the acoustic.

John

I think beginning players have trouble with the E(b) and B(b) chords and tend to avoid them.
As a beginner when playing guitar I avoided Bb which is Eb on the uke. My advice is to keep practicing the shapes and transitions in and out of them.
Eventually they will be second nature and easy. What is difficult in the beginning becomes easier as we play, so we develop a Eb/Bb phobia.

Last edited:
Top Bottom