Anybody into watches?

As much as I like other watches I have and esp my Citizen AQ6020 which almost never leaves my wrist, this little solar radio-controlled Casio Lineage LCW-M100TSE-1AJF always takes my wrist when I am on business travel and esp abroad. All the convenience features for travel and light being a Ti watch and bracelet.
IMGP00171000.JPG

When I got it I liked it to a point of doing this comparison table with my then favorite Seiko solar radio-controlled SBTM159
Seiko Spirit SBTM159 vs Casio Lineage LCW-M100TSE-1AJF.jpg

202001031200.jpg

While I’m not a watch collector, I do have a few. The Breitling Premier my father brought home from Switzerland during WW2, I inherited my great grandfather’s Elgin rose gold pocket watch, the Bulova Harley Davidson watch was a gift from my brother in law, the Popeye watches were given to me by my sister, as was the Seiko titanium (very light), and the Luminox “Navy Seal”.
I wear either the Seiko or the Luminox daily, the Bulova gets worn to church, and the Breitling only on special occasions…
C1B332AA-A97E-45A1-97A6-66ED5BD88E8B.jpeg7F5F0208-D76F-43B1-91A9-38241CB8CA8D.jpeg828E74A2-4F74-4B67-A451-5B57C26D6B3A.jpegDCB3F4D5-765E-40F5-8B5E-51D6AF1048EC.jpegE9463A12-D233-4441-A744-5D74E86A8F14.jpeg6540C640-107C-4BB5-B5B7-C143BD992F45.jpeg

Last edited:
While I’m not a watch collector, I do have a few. The Breitling Premier my father brought home from Switzerland during WW2, I inherited my great grandfather’s Elgin rose gold pocket watch, the Bulova Harley Davidson watch was a gift from my brother in law, the Popeye watches were given to me by my sister, as was the Seiko titanium (very light), and the Luminox “Navy Seal”.
I wear either the Seiko or the Luminox daily, the Bulova gets worn to church, and the Breitling only on special occasions…
View attachment 167333View attachment 167334View attachment 167335View attachment 167336View attachment 167337View attachment 167338
Yeah, nice Breitling. And one of those Popeyes has a Swiss movement - very impressive.

I got a gold hand-me-down Elgin from a grandfather too, although not as nice as yours and in a lot worse condition.

My Uncle Dick had/has? a really cool braille wristwatch. I always loved that thing when I was a kid and always told him that I wanted one just like it. He said "you can have it Kid (he drew it out into a 2 syllable word - Keee-udd!) when you pry it from my cold dead hands!!! So I got that going for me.
It looked similar to this one, but I think he had a silver one with a leather wrist band.

IMG_6652_ricwdu_1024x.jpg

My Uncle Dick had/has? a really cool braille wristwatch. I always loved that thing when I was a kid and always told him that I wanted one just like it. He said "you can have it Kid (he drew it out into a 2 syllable word - Keee-udd!) when you pry it from my cold dead hands!!! So I got that going for me.
It looked similar to this one, but I think he had a silver one with a leather wrist band.

IMG_6652_ricwdu_1024x.jpg
Wow can't say I've seen a braille watch before. I'm guessing the user would have to touch the hour and minute hands to tell where they are on the dial. That would have to be some robust handset placed firmly on their respective pinions to be repeatedly touched. I've accidentally bent a few handsets with very little effort back in my watch modding days.

Wow can't say I've seen a braille watch before. I'm guessing the user would have to touch the hour and minute hands to tell where they are on the dial. That would have to be some robust handset placed firmly on their respective pinions to be repeatedly touched. I've accidentally bent a few handsets with very little effort back in my watch modding days.
Yes, and those do look sturdy.

I don't recall him ever manhandling the hands, but he wasn't babying them either. I'm sure they were engineered adequately. If you've ever seen someone reading braille, you will see a very light touch, and that's how he treated books and letters, so I imagine the watch was similar.

I like watches with lume hands. As Seiko lume is well-known for it's brightness, I decided to compare my Seiko SBTM159 to my fav Citizen AQ6020-53x, that in this comparison is 10x more expensive. These two demonstrate very different approaches to what the lume should be.

Here goes.
Both fully charged at 7pm
DSC062331080.JPG

30 mins later. Seiko is obviously on the right.
DSC062341080.JPG
and about 2 hours later
DSC062361080.JPG

Seiko is gone in about 2 hours, while the Citizen is still going. In fact it is good for 6 hours or so.

To me this is a clear win for the Citizen.
DSC028311106.JPG

I like watches with lume hands. As Seiko lume is well-known for it's brightness, I decided to compare my Seiko SBTM159 to my fav Citizen AQ6020-53x, that in this comparison is 10x more expensive. These two demonstrate very different approaches to what the lume should be.

Here goes.
Both fully charged at 7pm
View attachment 167832

30 mins later. Seiko is obviously on the right.
View attachment 167833
and about 2 hours later
View attachment 167834

Seiko is gone in about 2 hours, while the Citizen is still going. In fact it is good for 6 hours or so.

To me this is a clear win for the Citizen.
View attachment 167835
Great comparison. Brightness is nice and showy, but duration is likely more important. It never even occurred to me that it could differ that much.

I feel I needed to have few mechanical watches and I fall for the Rolex Turn-o-graph. 1st watch with rotating bezel (and the date I did not have with my mechanical watches before). In mid 1950s this watch was adopted by the US Airforce Thunderbirds and the watch often called Thunderbird.
View attachment 166721

View attachment 166722
Nice watch! I wanted to get a great mechanical watch with a good history and was a proven chronograph. I decided on the Bremont. It is made in London and tested for extreme conditions (like rocket sleds, etc.). I chose the Arco Mach 2 (they use a lot of military and jet names). I love it because it looks great, is tough enough to wear every day, and is reasonably priced for this type of watch!

Attachments

• IMG_1788.jpeg
    IMG_1788.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1792.jpeg
    IMG_1792.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 13
I was cleaning my home office and found this new and never worn Jord Watch. I remember buying it almost 10 years ago. It’s made out of wood with a citizen movement.

IMG_8469.jpegIMG_8470.jpegIMG_8468.jpeg

Great watch from great brand. I love the simplicity of it's design.
In 2018 I believe Bremont did a tribute to Concord
Concorde-G-BOAA-_4_-980x573.jpg

with very nice Bremont Supersonic model
Bremont-Supersonic8447_B-980x720.jpg

I was cleaning my home office and found this new and never worn Jord Watch. I remember buying it almost 10 years ago. It’s made out of wood with a citizen movement.

View attachment 167931View attachment 167930View attachment 167928
Nice find :) You should continue exploring your home office more :)
I wish I had an office like that. In mine there are only books (mostly tech - physics/math), computer parts and accessories and a gun or two in my safe with a few knives. As I collecting those too :) But I know them all and where they are..

Interesting watch. I never heard of them. Now I am interested to check their wooden watches :)

Top Bottom