Anybody into watches?

How is the Soprod in yours running? Any issues?
Wow, tough luck. Hope it improves if you give them another go.

Mine have been bullet proof, and the Super Antarctic has been worn, literally almost every day since I got it. I figure the Soprod is probably as good as comparable ETAs, which is what my older (1990s) Oris had and ran perfectly until the crown fell off and I couldn't find a replacement.

Wow, tough luck. Hope it improves if you give them another go.

Mine have been bullet proof, and the Super Antarctic has been worn, literally almost every day since I got it. I figure the Soprod is probably as good as comparable ETAs, which is what my older (1990s) Oris had and ran perfectly until the crown fell off and I couldn't find a replacement.
Sorry to hear. Why finding a replacement is a problem?
I got my Oris before I restored my UG as it looks somewhat similar. Still have it with me.
IMGP00471200.JPG

IMGP00531024.JPG

Sorry to hear. Why finding a replacement is a problem?
That's a nice one. Mine is a small tank shape they don't make anymore. To be honest, I didn't try beyond contacting Oris directly and taking it to a couple of watch repair shops.

Similar to this one (stock photo off eBay)
Screenshot_20240219-195141.png

Bought an automatic Seiko 5 the last time I was on Guam. Most places in the US don't have many
autos but there are on Guam. Reason - hard to find watch batteries in many areas in Micronesia, Melanesia & the South Pacific.

I’m not a watch collector…..yet.

I’m still rocking the G-Shock.
Seiko Solar from 2010 I think zero issues
The Oris Divers Sixty-Five daily office watch.

I wore G-Shock and Timex during my time in the Army.

I have my eyes on both Grand Seiko “Lake Suwa” and IWC “Big Pilot.” - I need my wife to approve the buy 🤣

IMG_8385.jpegIMG_8381.jpegIMG_8388.jpeg

I’m not a watch collector…..yet.

I’m still rocking the G-Shock.
Seiko Solar from 2010 I think zero issues
The Oris Divers Sixty-Five daily office watch.

I wore G-Shock and Timex during my time in the Army.

I have my eyes on both Grand Seiko “Lake Suwa” and IWC “Big Pilot.” - I need my wife to approve the buy 🤣

View attachment 166769View attachment 166770View attachment 166771
Great watches. I like that Oris. And for the new likes, you got very good taste :)

^^ Yep, modeled after the polar expedition version, anyway. Love those prices - $185 for 18k gold!

Mine are from the new Nivada Grenchen with modern movements. (Guess they bought the rights to the NG name and designs.

Also have a few more:
A Zenith was my daily before the Antarctica
View attachment 166757

Quirky Enicar
View attachment 166758

Le Gran Nautoscaph
View attachment 166759
Beautiful! I dig the El Primero. It is my long-time want. Couple years ago when they did those revivals I was very much decided on the A386 (covid times and easy to buy on-line from them back then).
03.z386.400.60.c843.png

Looking at the chronographs a bit more I got interested in Heuer caliber 11 as it came about the time El Primero did in 1969. I liked the Gulf Monaco and when after three iterations and eight years of waiting, they released Heuer Monaco with Gulf livery I was sold.

This is the last watch Tag Heuer done under the leadership of Jean-Claude Biver (those who do not know who he is, I suggest to check him out. He is a character. I learned few things from him way beyond watches) and it pushed all the buttons for me. I also am a long standing Porsche fan and this also played a role in me going with the Heuer over the El Primero.
DSC06889.jpg

DSC06820800.jpg

Still El Primero has that special place in my heart and perhaps I will get that A386 revival one day.

BTW, is that a good read?

Last edited:
Wow, lots of interesting and cool looking watches featured in this thread! I don’t wear a watch (never have), but I enjoy looking at timepieces and appreciate their intricacies and art form.

I liked the Gulf Monaco and when after three iterations and eight years of waiting, they released Heuer Monaco with Gulf livery I was sold.
View attachment 166773
Very cool Heuer.

Ah yeah, the Gulf 917s. Probably my all time favorite race car and what started me down the Porsche path. Loved the duels with Ferrari during that time. I still tend toward that color scheme in tee shirts and other stuff. (I even like the Pink Pig.)

BTW, is that a good read?
Think that's @HappyTurtle with the book.

My Panerai 8 Day with Jaeger LeCoultre movement. It's a chunk.
PXL_20240220_221607403.jpg

Parmigiani Fleurer
PXL_20240220_221746915.jpg

that's @HappyTurtle with the book.
Here we go!
I always admired Panerai PAM 197, but with the Stainless steel dominance these days I like yours better. Is this a 609?
With the JLC famous cal 877 the back should be looking gorgeous. Is there a power reserve dial there too?
Great watch on great strap. IIRC to replace the strap you need to unscrew the lugs. Very unique. Is that correct?

And that Kalpa is beautiful. Is that the ladies watch?

You are right, that's @HappyTurtle with the book. :)
@HappyTurtle, is it recommended ? :)

Nice to meet another Porsche enthusiast here! Here is the Pink Pig winner at one of the Rennsport events at Laguna Seca.
DSC005521201.JPG

Top Bottom