New Uke Day (NUD) 'Oli Mango Concert

ailevin

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised to see that my ukulele shipped from Oahu last Friday. I was shocked when the tracking information told me it was in Los Angeles by Saturday morning and would be delivered today, Monday. FedEx raised my hopes even further by texting me this morning that the package was out for delivery and would arrive sometime between 9:00 and 10:50 AM. Using that degree of precision, (10:50), was a nice touch and demonstrates deep insight and skill in what is euphemistically called enhanced interrogation techniques, but we know it more commonly as torture. Of course 11 AM passed, and the estimate was 9 to 1 PM, and then later in the afternoon, the estimate was delivery by 8 PM. A little after 4 as I was giving up hope and trying to figure out if it was even possible to speak to a human at FedEx, the doorbell rang.

It was a box sporting large The Ukulele Site logos on the top and bottom. The box contained an 'Oli L1-CMGS solid mango concert ukulele in satin finish and a few other odds and ends. As usual, everything was snugly packed and arrived in good shape. In addition to the ukulele, I ordered some extra strings, a humidifier, and I also asked to substitute a KoAloha hard case for the included Oahu hard case. I already had a concert sized Oahu case for the 'Oli and I want to put my Pops concert in a KoAloha case.

There were a number of strands (think spider web) that drew me to this. We brought our Anuenue C4 (solid cedar top with laminate back and sides) concert and Pono ATD (all solid acacia) tenor to the OC Ukulele Festival. I was reminded of how much I enjoyed playing the Pono, and although the C4 served me well at the festival, I started thinking about a Pono concert. Looking at the marketplace here and the stock at TUS, I was considering something like a Kalele concert in acacia or or an AC or ACD. As a ukulele addict and general fan of the TUS podcast, I had followed the development of the Pono lattice braced models, but I never recal seeing it in concert scale. Then there was this thread that introduced me to the 'Oli line and pushed me over the edge. I liked the design, the side sound port, the sound, and here it was, a lattice braced concert. I went to the site, and ordered the single 'Oli Concert that was listed, which was a high gloss acacia. It seemed right, like it was going to be a little brother to our ATD. That was last Tuesday.

On Wednesday, I got a call from Andrew. He said that he was working my order, and as my set up instructions were rather specific, he really wanted to get everything just right. He told me that he wasn't completely happy with the angle of the neck on the particular instrument that I chose, and he was concerned that he wouldn't be able to get the action just right. He was of course apologetic, but I was really thrilled at the level of detailed QC and concern. He didn't have another acacia model with gloss finish, but he had a couple of 'Oli concerts in mango that hadn't been listed yet, and he thought he might have another acacia in satin. I told him that for me it was all about the sound and playability and that the looks were about 7th priority to me. I have nothing against gorgeous instruments, but especially this one is a utility instrument not a display item.

On Thursday he sent me pictures of two satin finish mango concerts that he thought sounded great, and I picked one. He also said that the satin was $50 less and he was refunding the $50 rush charge with no charge for the KoAloha hard case upgrade. I thought that was more than generous and they got the ukulele finished and shipped out on Friday! I cannot say enough about how terrific the people are at TUS. Andrew sets the tone, but I have had similar wonderful experiences with so many folks that work there. They have been there for me from the very beginning.

Enough talk, here are some pictures. I am showing the front and back, in two views. The first is flat neutral illumination on the carpet, and the other is illuminated by some sunlight in a stand. Whether it is the mango wood or the finish, this ukulele has a kind of slightly translucent character to its wood grain that really comes alive in changing lighting conditions. The usual mug shot photos just don't do it justice.
OliFront252580.jpgOliFrontStand252580.jpgOliBack252580.jpgOliBackStand252580.jpgOliSideStand252580.jpg
The sound hole and side sound port are trimmed in ebony and the sound hole has a delicate rosette as well. The headstock logo and neck endcap are ebony as well. It has the Gotoh tuners that I'm very fond of. I also noticed that it appears to have a truss rod in the neck? Not sure, it didn't come with a wrench unless it is hiding somewhere in the case and I didn't see it. It has Ko'olau Aho fluorocarbon strings and I believe a Fremont Soloist low G; it is a smooth wound gold string.

Obviously, this is my first 'Oli, but it is also my first mango ukulele, though I have played them once or twice in a local shop. I am going to save comments on the sound of the instrument for tomorrow, after I have had more chance to play it. The fit and finish are excellent and although the strings are stretching, the intonation up the fretboard is perfect. The neck is full, and slightly less round than my Pono, but more full than my Pops or KoAloha necks. I haven't looked at measurements, but the neck feels about the same width as I am used to, but the strings seem slightly closer than I am used to, though nothing very significant. It seems like I have a little more room between the edge of the fingerboard and the A and G strings. While it is heavier than my Pops concert, the Pops instruments are feather weights. This instruments feels lighter than my C4 and very well balanced. While it doesn't have the bevel, the edges are slightly rounded and it is very comfortable to hold. In fact the satin finish just feels good. I liked the mango inlaid fret markers that add an understated architectural look to the design, but I also love them as fret markers. They are more visible that the typical tiny edge dots and you see them from any angle as you are playing.

Congratson the new Oli! Oh I thought the neck was wider than the Pono models?

Such a tease... so can we expect you to let us know how it sounds somewhere in the 9:00 - 10:50 am time frame?;)
Sorry David, I didn't mean to be cagey, but it was 1 AM this morning when I posted because we had social commitments shortly after the 'Oli arrived. That is part of why I was so antsy during the morning and afternoon. I hope to get a couple hours this afternoon to play it and compare it to my two other concerts.

Well, tonight's dinner party just ended and I did have a chance to spend an hour or so this afternoon comparing the 'Oli Mango Concert with my Anuenue C4 concert (solid cedar top laminate back and sides) and Pops Wow Concert (Engelmann Spruce top with pine back and sides). I did a few measurements on dimensions of the necks and all three are pretty similar. The Anuenue and Pops fretboards are 1.5 inches wide and the 'Oli is 1 and 7/16 inches. The string spacings are marginally (like the thickness of the C string) closer on the 'Oli but not enough to make a difference. I also weighed the instruments and as expected the 'Oli came in slightly lighter than the Anuenue and significantly heavier than the Pops. The string tension is noticeably higher on the 'Oli. The 'Oli neck is pretty similar in depth (measured from the top of the strings to the bottom of the neck) to the C4 neck, and the Pops neck is about a quarter inch flatter (less deep). So again not terribly different. What is different is the transition from neck to headstock on the 'Oli and it makes the neck feel quite different in first (home position) or especially returning to home position. I don't care for the feel there, but maybe I have to get used to it. The two biggest differences in how they feel to play are the way the neck feels in home position and the higher string tension. Action is set nicely. I am not sure how I feel about radiused fretboard yet, but I definitely have to get used to it.

I need to go off on a tangent here for a bit about how different woods sound to me before I compare the three ukuleles. I'm not claiming any basis in science or even extensive experience, but my limited experience is that mahogany, koa, acacia, and mango have a more complex tonal profile that adds a kind of richness, at the expense of some clarity or purity of the particular note being played. Spruce and cedar on the other hand, seem to bring out more of the fundamental pitch and it's pure harmonics which creates a clearer more transparent tone where a single pitch tends to really ring out and project or penetrate. I think cedar has a bit more mid-range emphasis and spruce has more high end, and cedar sounds a little more complex but a little less articulate to me. I also believe that all things being the same (they never are), the same instrument in a spruce or cedar top will have increased volume or at least more projection compared to a koa, acacia, mango, or mahogany top.

Now back to the sound comparison. This 'Oli ukulele has a very sweet and mellow voice. I was impressed with the balance of volume between the strings, and I had no issues with any boominess with the wound low G. I was pleased with the volume and sustain as my memory of other mango instruments is that they were somewhat quiet compared to the same model in koa. When I switched to the Anuenue C4 cedar top laminate I was surprised that it was louder than the 'Oli. On the other hand, the tone seemed kind of thin and slightly cold, even though I did not think of the 'Oli as warm. Usually I associate those temperature comparisons with bass or treble emphasis. That's why I think thin vs. rich might be a better set of adjectives. The cedar top of the C4 produced its volume increase more in the bass and treble than in the midrange. The sustain of the Anuenue was similar or a bit worse even though it was louder playing with the same effort. In general, we show a preference for louder, so I tried pushing the 'Oli a little louder and playing the C4 a little softer. The tone differences became more obvious with the 'Oli sounding sweet and full and the C4 sounding a little hollow yet maintaining good high end articulation. When I was first playing the 'Oli, I expected it to blow away the C4, but to be fair, it didn't. The 'Oli is a much nicer ukulele in essentially every respect, as it should be for triple the cost. I have little experience with the 'Oli, but there are many things that make it nicer to play. I also prefer the tone of the 'Oli. Yet the C4 would be my choice between the two to bring to a strum along--the tone is still good, and the volume/projection is definitely superior.

The Pops Wow concert is my daily player, it's one of a kind and was custom made for me, and I love it. With that disclaimer I will try to be as objective as I can in comparing the 'Oli and C4 to the Wow. The Wow has more volume and more sustain than the C4 or the 'Oli, yet has a lovely rich tone. It definitely has better articulation and a more pure tone than the 'Oli or the C4 and unlike the C4 it maintains a fullness of tone at all volume levels. The C4 sounds somehow lower fidelity compared to the Wow at all volume levels, like there is something missing in the C4 tone. The 'Oli sounds laid back compared to the Wow--sweet, but a bit shy. It does have a more complex and more woody sound that makes the Wow sound more like a guitar and the 'Oli sound more like a ukulele. I know I use the word too much, but transparent is the best way to describe the Pops Wow sound in all three scales. It is as if there is nothing between what you hear and what the ukulele is doing, like it is communicating with you effortlessly. By comparison, it sound like the C4 is shouting and the 'Oli is singing softly. Maybe another way to put it is that relative to the Wow, the 'Oli sounds like the volume is a little low and the C4 sounds like the EQ is wrong.

The 'Oli is the new kid on the block. It needs more playing time both for strings to break in, and for me and the ukulele to get to know one another. There are a number of things new to me: the 'Oli brand, mango, and a radiused fretboard. I will report back on how the relationship is going. As I was completing this, I realized that my daily player (a spruce top) is in some respects (volume and articulation) more similar to the C4 cedar top, but in other respects (richness of tone and workmanship/fittings) more similar to the 'Oli.

Last edited:
Do you feel like the lattice bracing significantly changes the mango tone?

Do you feel like the lattice bracing significantly changes the mango tone?
This is both my first mango and my first lattice braced ukulele, so I really can't say. Maybe others who have compared Pono instruments with and without lattice bracing could comment. I think of a lattice braced top as mostly increasing volume and sustain. I did see a discussion in a guitar forum about lattice bracing increasing volume but making the tone more harsh. As usual, I think it is complicated and has more to do with how the maker blends the materials and design features to get a certain tone.

This one sounds like I expected mango to sound in terms of tone. As I said earlier, to my ears, mahogany, mango, acacia, and koa tone woods are in a different sound category than spruce and cedar. Here the temperature adjectives work better for me, with mahogany having the warmest lows and koa having more high end sparkle. Mango is more in the middle, and perhaps its emphasis is more similar to the human voice? I'm definitely reaching there :).

NICE lookin' ukulele!!!
Can't wait to hear your thoughts about how it sounds after a little break in period.
Love the look of the mango on yours.

Thanks, Alan! Unlike FedEx, you delivered your second as promised almost exactly 24 hours after your first... (while I am sound asleep)

Unsurprisingly, your assessment is very well done and informative. I learn much just from reading your breakdown of the sound.... rich, thin, mellow, etc. That is much better than my "I like this, or "that sounds pretty good".

For me, you answered (correctly?) the question on whether I should consider ordering one, knowing what ukuleles I have that it would be compared to. And though tempted by the features offered, including the radiused fb, side soundport, and comfort bevel, it looks like I can resist temptation for now.

I received my acacia baritone. I’m still getting to know it before posting a NUD. I’m not sure the acacia is coloring the tone much. It’s very mellow, clear, and balanced. The treble is not too bright. The bass is not boomy at all. It’s certainly not harsh.

I received my acacia baritone. I’m still getting to know it before posting a NUD. I’m not sure the acacia is coloring the tone much. It’s very mellow, clear, and balanced. The treble is not too bright. The bass is not boomy at all. It’s certainly not harsh.
I'm looking forward to your NUD. As I said earlier my original intention was acacia based on my Pono ATD experience.

I probably shouldn't have quoted an article in a guitar forum that was discussing pros and cons of lattice bracing. It's like a third hand reference, and nothing about my experience with this lattice braced ukulele says "harsh." I was just trying to point out that every design choice has all sorts of consequences and the specs tell you only so much. I have found that with tone wood comparisons you really need two similar ukuleles so you can play them side by side to hear the differences in detail. Finally, while I am making some personal value judgementss about these three concerts, I in no way want to imply that a particular tone wood is better or worse as that is very much a matter of personal taste or can even be a matter of mood on a particular day. However, I do think that there is enough audible difference in the tonal emphasis from the different tone woods that it is possible to generalize somewhat.

I have been primarily playing the 'Oli concert all week this week, with only very occasional comparisons to other instruments. It is definitely getting more familiar and I have gotten more comfortable with it. The strings have settled surprising quickly, perhaps because they are a little higher tension than I am used to? I know the radiused fretboard is supposed to help me, but it seems like it makes barre chords more difficult rather than easier. Again perhaps I just need to make some adjustments.

There is something particulary soothing or calming about the voice of this instrument. You can of course dig in, but I think it responds best to a light touch, and I am surprised by the sweet tone and gradations of dynamics I get between between piano and mezzo forte. I also like the degree of sustain it maintains without really punching it up to higher volumes. I don't know how much of that is greater sustain in general and how much is my hearing more because of the side sound port.

It strikes me as much more of a chord melody or classical instrument than a strummer, and that suits me well. In fact, it feels like it wants to play chamber music. Of course, I am also playing chords to accompany my wife playing melody and singing, but it just does not feel much like a rhythm instrument to me. Maybe if it was amplified, but I think it would still sound and feel more like a mellow jazz guitar. Maybe it is my prejudice that the emphasis is mid-range tones, but I feel like I get more emphasis of the inner voices of chords than the top and the bottom. To some extent that means that this instrument tends to bring out the C and E strings. This creates some interesting opportunities for different voicings for chord melody.

Thanks so much for your in depth assessments. I was so excited when the 'Oli ukuleles showed up on TUS. They have everything I want ...... radiused fret board, satin neck, side & top fret markers, side sound port, and lots of beautiful looking wood combinations. My problem is that I already have two concert ukuleles that fill all my needs. My Cocobolo concert is a 16 inch scale instead of the standard 15 inch concert, and I've found it to be very comfortable to play. So I started thinking about trying a tenor. I'm very tempted by the 'Oli choices, in particular the cedar/acacia and koa models. However, it's a chunk of change to spend on an experiment that might not suit me. I think I'll wait for more folks to post reviews, hopefully on a tenor.

After playing the 'Oli for almost two weeks, I went back to my Pops concert the last couple days.Picking up the Wow Concert was like going home again, but I have that feeling whenever I return to that ukulele.

After a couple weeks my consistency and control on the 'Oli were good. I don't have a lot to add to my earlier comments about the sound or fit and finish. I am happy with the range of tone I can get from the instrument, and I am very comfortable playing it. The intonation is wonderful, and that is important to me. It has a nice balance between the strings, though it is possible to overplay the wound low G. I think the E string sings the best on this instrument. I like the side sound port. I like the general simpicity of the design and the satin finish. I like the fret markers. I like the Gotoh tuners. The radiused fretboard still isn't much of a feature for me.

Thanks for the kind words. OTH, I would point out how subjective these evaluations are. That’s why I recommend in-store audition and bringing along a ukulele you know to compare. If that’s not possible, you need a good return policy, and/or a willingness to sell.

Yesterday after playing my Pops concert for a couple days I was thinking that the ‘Oli wasn’t a keeper and wondering if I should put it on the marketplace. Today I picked up the ‘Oli to play it a bit intending to confirm that opinion, but I was surprised. I found the sound so charming and I really liked how it felt to play. So even my own subjective take on this ukulele varies from one day to next. In fact, I’m not sure why, but today the ‘Oli sounds more like a Renaissance instrument than a traditional Hawaiian ukulele to me.

At any rate, stay tuned. I have no qualms about the 'Oli brand. Judging from this one sample, they have put together a very appealling set of design features and fittings at an attractive price, and the overall quality of workmanship is on a par with the K-brand off-shore ukuleles (Pono, Opio, Oha). I think I am more up in the air about mango as a tone wood, and how this implementation of a mango ukulele will work for me in the long run.

One more quick observation: this ukulele is a real bargain if you measure dollars per fret. I was surprised to realize that the 'Oli is 14 frets to the body with 20 frets. The Pops concert is 13 frets to the body with 17 frets. Since I play a fair amount of the time either strumming or picking with my thumb up where the neck joins the body, I like the extra room., Especially up around the 10th and 12th frets, it makes the fretboard seem more spacious and I don't have to reach over the body as much. Of course, the frets aren't spaced any wider and this has nothing to do with scale length.

Top Bottom