Which Scale Strings for Kamaka Ohta San HB-2

Rkrout

Reaction score
I am acquiring a Kamaka Ohta San HB-2D, but am unsure which scale strings to use, as it is listed as “halfway between a concert and tenor” scale. Can’t seem to find this info. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Good question the low G on both tenor and concert sets seems to be the same. The plain tenor strings are a bit thicker than standard/concert so I would prefer that for higher tension and better feel. If you use the tenor set you will have lower tension than it would be on tenor, and if you use the other you will have higher tension than it would be on concert

Go with the higher tension strings if you like a bigger sound and you have good technique. Lower tension will be a little easier on your fingers if your technique isn't great.

It's 16" scale. You should be able to use either depending on your tension preference. I think my 16" Cocobolo has concert strings at C tuning (but one of the last Southcoast sets so hard to say definitely) . I bet tenor strings at B tuning would also be nice

What does Kamaka suggest?

Good question the low G on both tenor and concert sets seems to be the same. The plain tenor strings are a bit thicker than standard/concert so I would prefer that for higher tension and better feel. If you use the tenor set you will have lower tension than it would be on tenor, and if you use the other you will have higher tension than it would be on concert
Thanks so much for that input and info!

Thanks for the info!

Go with the higher tension strings if you like a bigger sound and you have good technique. Lower tension will be a little easier on your fingers if your technique isn't great.
Thanks, so tenor strings would give the higher tension?

Thanks, so tenor strings would give the higher tension?
Yes, but realistically not tremendously more tension. The strings might be 5 to 10% thicker, so there will be a noticeable difference, but they won't feel like pro-level strings unless you go for the extra-high-tension strings. This is really all personal preference.

Yes, but realistically not tremendously more tension. The strings might be 5 to 10% thicker, so there will be a noticeable difference, but they won't feel like pro-level strings unless you go for the extra-high-tension strings. This is really all personal preference.
Awesome info - thanks!

Congrats on your new HB! My gut/guess is they use concert strings, as it's listed a concert. I feel like that's part of what makes it different than other concerts... you get that additional scale length to increase the tension of the concert strings plus the bell shaped body and BOOM... you're playing like Ohta San! Magic!

I really have no idea, but I'm excited to follow this thread and hear more!

For those interested in white label Ohta San the Winnipeg Uke Club is auctioning one off bids starting at Can$200.
Link? I’m def interested LOL

Last edited:
I am acquiring a Kamaka Ohta San HB-2D, but am unsure which scale strings to use, as it is listed as “halfway between a concert and tenor” scale. Can’t seem to find this info. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Did you perhaps purchase the one on reverb with a Matrix pickup?

Top Bottom