Recommendations for strings for D-tuning for a soprano scale ukulele

Scotty Uke

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience and recommendations for strings for D-tuning for a soprano scale ukulele? I found these on Strings by Mail's site -

GHS 20 Fluorocarbon Ukulele Strings, Hawaiian D-Tuning - but it doesn't specify the scale length.

Aquila has a set for D soprano. The D’Addario clear nylon soprano set is for D as well

I've been using Rotosound RS85 strings on my Martin 0X Bamboo for the past few months. Took a while to settle (they're a clear nylon), but they have a very light, playable feel to them and I like the tone, which is not as bright and ringing as fluorocarbon. Bear in mind that I generally aim for something like the ukulele sound of the Tin Pan Alley era, however, so if you prefer a strong clear sound with extended sustain then these may not suit your taste.

IMG_6675.jpeg

Most strings for C tuning should be fine for D as well, but I confess that I've always been a bit wary of the tension.

Does anyone have experience and recommendations for strings for D-tuning for a soprano scale ukulele? I found these on Strings by Mail's site -

GHS 20 Fluorocarbon Ukulele Strings, Hawaiian D-Tuning - but it doesn't specify the scale length.
I believe that those strings are supplied as suitable for both Soprano and Concert scales. That commonality might seem doubtful but it isn’t uncommon in Uke string sales and it works well - obviously there’s more excess string to be cut off when using such strings on Soprano scales.

Last edited:
Top Bottom