Standard model vs Deluxe model

Don't forget scrapple!

My higher end Ohana Sopranino came with a nicer sound hole, and a darker wood stain .

You can attend the spam jam festival in Honolulu

While wearing a spam Hawaiian shirt

And playing a spam can ukulele (canjo actually)

SPAM in particular has an extremely unappetizing appearance but is wonderful when either sliced and fried in an iron skillet or roasted over a campfire while impaled on a sharpened stick.
Ugh! Looks too much like cat food to me... my mom used to fry it and serve this to us as kids... Probably has something to do with why I'm a vegetarian now...

But back to Ukuleles: The new super Ponos DO seem like a big improvement from what I have gleaned by reading Baz's review and listening the sound samples I've heard... probably worth the added +/- $500 to the price tag over a bottom line Pono... The design differences are substantial and well beyond cosmetic...

I am super tempted, I must say. Now, I just need to come up with $1100 (gulp).

Ugh! Looks too much like cat food to me... my mom used to fry it and serve this to us as kids... Probably has something to do with why I'm a vegetarian now...

But back to Ukuleles: The new super Ponos DO seem like a big improvement from what I have gleaned by reading Baz's review and listening the sound samples I've heard... probably worth the added +/- $500 to the price tag over a bottom line Pono... The design differences are substantial and well beyond cosmetic...

I am super tempted, I must say. Now, I just need to come up with $1100 (gulp).
In January of 2019,I bought one of the original "Masters Series" Pono. Touted as being the pinnacle of what the Pono Luthiers could make. Hand selected, tap tone tested tops. Select woods for the bodies. Etc. It was a cedar/mahogany MTSH-C-MS made in 2017. After selling all of them that were made, this one came up unexpectedly for sale at TUS. I was underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, the build was excellent. Though the mahogany grain was meh. Especially compared to the generic example photo. The side port was a very nice addition. The slot headstock was VERY thick and the neck was thicker than my paddle headstock models. I tired various strings on it, some were better than others. I kept it until this year for a substantial discount to one of the members of my uke club. I just couldn't bond with it.

I much prefer my 2015 Pono RTC(S)-PC Englemann Spruce/Indian Rosewood Tenor Cutaway Pro Classic.

The new Master Series tenors sound great. They look very nice too. But, I don't think I'll buy one unless it has a side sound port. And great looking woods.

According to the SPAM Museum, Hawaii is far and away the largest consumers of SPAM. They speculate that it's because it tastes so good with Poi. The SPAM Song was pretty catchy. But the song that comes to mind first is the Mony Python song.

Spam, spam, spam ...

Last edited:
According to the SPAM Museum, Hawaii is far and away the largest consumers of SPAM. THey speculate that it's because it tastes so good with Poi. The SPAM Song was pretty catchy. But the song that comes to mind first is the Mony Python song.

Spam, spam, spam ...

I like the Spam Musubi song better... it praises SPAM and does not make fun of it.

I do not like the SPAM museum explanation. My friends in Hawaii do not eat much poi (or any at all), but do eat spam musubi. Poi is much more a native Hawaiian food and the spam musubi has roots more from Japan. I venture that having a salty piece of meat versus the traditional Asian diet that is carb loaded with rice and small pieces of meat and at an affordable price is what made it popular there.

Though poi with any other food makes it taste better than poi alone.

There are lots of spam flavors that are available only on Hawaii. You can often find pallets of 'em on the floors of Longs drugs. It's about time for pumpkin spice and roasted turkey 🤢.

After selling all of them that were made, this one came up unexpectedly for sale at TUS.
Maybe this was a blem or second that didn't sell right away?

Anyhow, I love my 2 Ponos... both are keepers!

Sorry you were underwhelmed, but at that price this is to be expected. It should be dazzling to the eye and ear...

Maybe this was a blem or second that didn't sell right away?

Anyhow, I love my 2 Ponos... both are keepers!

Sorry you were underwhelmed, but at that price this is to be expected. It should be dazzling to the eye and ear...
Nope not a blem. I had ordered an MTSH-C-MS around Jan 1, 2018 and the serivce tech at TUS called me to let me know he found a crack at the neck/body join when he was doing the setup. So he pulled it. One of the reasons I like TUS so much—the techs can reject an instrument if they find a flaw in it. As can the shipping people. And they called me to make sure I was okay with it.

Unfortunately, they didn't have any more either at TUS nor at Pono. The only one of any kind still available was a Spruce/Acacia. Which I didn't want because it sounded too close to my Spruce/Rosewood PC Pono. I received a store credit.

A year later, Jan 1, 2019, one cedar/mahogany MTSH-C-MS instrument came on the market. I specifically asked if they had repaired the original or if it was refurbished or a return, and I was told it was not. They even sent me pics of it. So I bought it.

It's a very nice tenor. It has an excellent sound. Plays quite easily. But it wasn't a big step up from the PC Series. It did have a spiffy PGA style wood inlayed "P" on the headstock though.

I think the current Masters series is noticeably better and a step up in sound. If they had side sound ports, I'd be tempted.

Top Bottom