included, ships to CONUS only.
Size
Concert

ookooleilei

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hello,

Recently had this wonderful concert built by the amazing Peter Hurney, but in the twists and turns my ukulele journey has taken me, I've gone from playing soprano only, to concert and soprano (mostly concert), and now to tenor-scale and soprano (mostly tenor) -- so this great instrument just isn't getting played.

It's virtually new, but there are some cosmetic issues that it was delivered to me with that I've photographed and will describe here.

It's a matte/satin finish, but there are three/four finish cracks on the upper back portion of the ukulele, with one spidering into the base of the neck from the back.

It's believed, based on my correspondence with Peter, that these occurred during shipping in the winter, across the country from Oregon to my home here in New Jersey. They are purely cosmetic, and cannot be seen clearly at many angles, and they're all on the front/side of the ukulele, so not visible from the front. Peter said that the ukulele could be re-finished, but suggested waiting until after the weather gets warmer... I decided in the interim that it wasn't that big deal for me, and I wasn't planning on having that done.

There are also some minor builder marks on the instrument, and as this is the fourth Pohaku I've owned, I can tell you that you won't likely find one without them -- these are handmade instruments, and are not perfect/immaculate/free from stray tooling marks or scuffs on the soundboard, etc.

When we discussed building this one, I told Peter I was looking for a deeper, fuller, warmer tone, and we went with all solid mahogany, and a slightly deeper body than Peter typically builds with.

It sounds incredible, and the playability is fantastic, as you'd expect from a Pohaku. Was built with Gotoh UPT tuners (my personal favorite), rather than the Peghed tuners Peter usually uses.

I paid $1100 plus shipping for this one, and because of the cosmetic issues, am listing it for $850, shipping included (CONUS only).

Ships in the Pohaku-branded hard case, pictured. Reasonable offers, including trades for a tenor (preferably Kanile'a), will be considered. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0509.jpeg
    IMG_0509.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0511.jpeg
    IMG_0511.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0512.jpeg
    IMG_0512.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0513.jpeg
    IMG_0513.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0514.jpeg
    IMG_0514.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0515.jpeg
    IMG_0515.jpeg
    224.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0516.jpeg
    IMG_0516.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0517.jpeg
    IMG_0517.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0518.jpeg
    IMG_0518.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0519.jpeg
    IMG_0519.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0520.jpeg
    IMG_0520.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0521.jpeg
    IMG_0521.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
I build aged Fender and Gibson style electric guitars on the side and will put the bodies in the freezer for hours and then blast them with a heat gun to try and get finish checking that you've got there. I love it. As mentioned, it's purely some cracking in the clear coat usually from big changes in temperature.

I build aged Fender and Gibson style electric guitars on the side and will put the bodies in the freezer for hours and then blast them with a heat gun to try and get finish checking that you've got there. I love it. As mentioned, it's purely some cracking in the clear coat usually from big changes in temperature.
Interesting!

I love this—the blond mahogany, the finish crackles (think antique Japanese pottery), the rounded back, and the FRET markers! Beautiful! Jonas, if I were in a position to buy this, it would be sold.

Last edited:
FINAL DROP before listing this on Reverb -- $699, shipped to CONUS only.

Top Bottom